DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  nimalarm.exe options

Posted Aug 17, 2017 09:55 AM
      |   view attached

Not so much a question but a comment that may help someone. I recently upgraded from 8.2 to 8.47 and had an issue using nimalarm.exe. I use it to send a regular alarm to the alarm console to ensure alarms are being received okay using Windows scheduler. 

I noticed that the alarm had stopped coming in, ran it manually and it looked like it completed okay but never came in. I manually ran the tool testalarm and that worked fine. What I did notice was that when I ran nimalarm manually, when it completed it printed the version on the screen. When looking at the options I noticed that the options for nimalarm have changed, where '-V' used to be <message values e.g. key1=val1;key2=val2....> we now have '-V' listed as "print version" and '-v' is now used for message values.

Attached document shows the differences

So a subtle change between upper case V and lower case v in the tools options for this tool has wasted a few hours.

I have not managed to find any documented details on this option change.

Just wanted to highlight this in case anyone else has not noticed the change and uses nimalarm.

Attachment(s)

rtf
    nimalarm.rtf   1.41 MB 1 version

• 2.  Re: nimalarm.exe options

Posted Aug 17, 2017 11:12 AM

Hi, thanks for this. I had a customer who reported this problem and today he found the root cause was this slightly options change. I published the following techdoc: nimalarm options changed 

I hope customers who may come across the same issue can find these posts useful.

• 3.  Re: nimalarm.exe options

Posted Aug 17, 2017 11:17 AM
      |   view attached

Iulian, in https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231176495-nimalarm-options-changed the two images are the same, the older one should have upper case V only and the newer should have lowercase and uppercase v

Kevin

Kevin Nelson

Senior Systems Administrator

Simplified with creative intelligence

Tel +44 (0) 845 340 2939 Mob +44 (0)  7500 924755

Website<http://www.bell-integration.com/> | Email<mailto:knelson@bell-integration.com> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/bell-integration> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/BellIntegration>

• 4.  Re: nimalarm.exe options

Posted Aug 17, 2017 11:31 AM

Thanks, Kevin. I modified it.

• 5.  Re: nimalarm.exe options

Posted Aug 22, 2017 11:58 AM

Hello guys.

Is it possible to set the name of probe in alarm generated by 'nimalarm'? Something like:

./nimalarm -S <source> "<message>" -v probe=logmon

• 6.  Re: nimalarm.exe options

Posted Aug 22, 2017 12:15 PM

I just tried and could not get it to work.........

usage: nimalarm [options] message-string
    where options are:
    -l <severity level>
    -s <subsystem id>
    -c <checkpoint id>
    -d <debug level>
    -S <source/hostname>
    -i return message-id
    -1 <custom1>
    -2 <custom2>
    -3 <custom3>
    -4 <custom4>
    -5 <custom5>
    -t <CI type>
    -n <CI name>
    -m <CI metric>
    -a <alarm token>
    -v <message values e.g. key1=val1;key2=val2...>
    -V print version

• 7.  Re: nimalarm.exe options

Posted Aug 22, 2017 12:46 PM

Thanks for the answer. I just tried it too, without success.

I was thinking that can exist some "udata.value" for probe that is not properly "probe", you know?

In alarm_enrichment log (level 4), I can see something like "prid=>probename"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDS[udata=>[PDS[subsys=>XX, level=>0, source=>10.X.X.X, message=>Alarm "" on switch "XXXXX". Maint Object="_PE". On board="1". Port="A:\"PE Health Check device is responding\"", Error Code="" (Alarm number="FPA:00000:0000000000:0821170220::N". Product ID="1000000000". IPAddress="10.X.X.X". Category=""), ]]pri=>0, subject=>alarm, origin=>XXXX, hop=>1, prid=>snmptd, source=>172.X.X.X, nimts=>1503416252, dev_id=>D8AC73A8D313C0631522A6A3517EFD301, robot=>robot02, nimid=>PO84063187-76632, supp_key=>snmptd/X.X.X.X"_PE", tz_offset=>10800, hop0=>HUB, domain=>XXXX, suppression=>y+000000000#snmptd/X.X.X.X"_PE", hop1=>HUB, met_id=>MCA617AEE7985D826F622427D266B0D31, ]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried "./nimalarm -S <source> "<message>" -v prid=logmon" and also "./nimalarm -S <source> "<message>" -v prid=>logmon"