When it comes to testing, core Java developers around the world tend to be a "do-it-yourself" bunch. And this is certainly true for testing components such as Java objects while they are under development. Testing Java classes and Java Remote Method Invocation (RMI) servers requires hours of tricky coding and test client development, so often developers will wait until much later in the development process to test, when the object is being rolled into a larger system.
Better unit and regression testing practices (with JUnit/Ant and other tools) have become par for the course in enterprise Java development. This offers a starting point for quality, but unit testing alone is simply too manual to properly exercise your components early in development, when problems are much easier to fix.
To really exercise these complex components early, we need to stop writing code to test code. We need to test the functionality and performance of the component - not create new volume of scripts to test. We need to help the QA and business requirements owners test to functionally validate our components, earlier in the project. CA’s DevTest was built from the ground up for this purpose. The DevTest framework includes CA Application Test and CA Service Virtualization.
- Inline testing.Break the code-compile-run-curse cycle, and never write a test client again. Execute test while you're authoring and adjusting them. You will have to see to believe the level of continual feedback you get while you are developing with DevTest.
- Built on and for Java. DevTest is pure Java, and is innately aware of Java objects and RMI at a granular level, whether they are under development or "legacy" components you need to leverage. As you should expect, DevTest runs on any Java-ready client (Unix/Linux, Win, OSX) and can easily test objects on any Java-compliant server.
- Easy enough for non-developers. DevTest is no-code automated testing, meaning developers save time by no longer having to script tests. Non-programming QA and business requirements team members can also get involved in testing the functional logic of these components.
- Multiple systems. One DevTest test case can follow a complex workflow and validate multiple web sites, web services, Java objects and application servers. DevTest supports active sessions, SSL, authentication and magic strings, so it lets you test systems just as your end users will. On the back end, DevTest provides live interaction and deep testing of any component or service you can access over the Internet.
- Across the full development lifecycle. Test components iteratively during development with immediate point-and-click responses. Then roll those same unit and functional tests into regression tests included in your Ant/Make builds. Then take those same test cases and turn them into load and stress tests that can run continuously
- DevTest for Java/RMI provides an ideal automated testing environment for Java objects and components, offering a new level of breadth and depth that allows the entire team to own quality.
- True no-code automated testing with compelling features for both developers and QA professionals.
- Eliminates the need to program test clients and maintain fragile test scripts.
- Provides an immediate way to accelerate "test first," XP development practices.
- Brings QA into the iterative development cycle for early and continuous testing.
- Works with any J2EE application server (Java App Server, WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss, more).
- Leverages and runs with your existing build and deploy environment of JUnit/Ant scripts.
- Point-and-click testing of Java classes, RMI, and other objects (CORBA, etc.) in a way no other product can.
- Browse, analyze and make live assertions against any available logic or controls in the application.
- Manage properties and test assertions.
- Turn your Java/RMI test runs into load tests, and scheduled regression and performance tests over time.
- Great for analyzing and testing legacy code and objects that you may need to integrate.
- Test instrument your custom application code with the powerful Extension SDK.
- Built for the future keep your test cases and extend them to web interfaces, EJBs, JMS queues, JDBC databases, web services and JMX metrics.
- Share test cases and test runs as simple XML files and incorporate them into your existing groupware, issue tracking and requirements management processes.
CA’s Application Test - The Test Harness for Custom Java Applications
Are you running proprietary or custom software? Where most testing solutions would give up, DevTest’s integration abilities let developers "test enable" software. With minimal incremental effort, developers can make their code testable with our simple API. The whole team can get rich metrics and debugging information on applications behind the scenes.
The more complex your enterprise applications are, the more compelling testing with DevTest becomes. Quality is not just a tool you can buy, it is an experience your whole team needs to own.
Take a closer look at DevTest today – check out our latest intro product tours: