The SOI console displays both “Root Cause” and “Symptom” alerts in the device context. This behavior is different from Spectrum where only Root Cause alarms are displayed. This posting provides a Spectrum connector policy extension that exempts symptom alerts and then describes how to filter them out. Please note that exempted alerts are excluded from the service impact calculation.
- SOI 3.2 or later
- Spectrum 9.2.3 H12 or later
- Spectrum Connector 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 or later
Installing the Extension policy:
- On the system running the Spectrum Connector, download and copy the attached file (spectrumim_policy.exemptsymptom.xml) to \CA\SOI\resources\Core\Catalogpolicy\extensions
- Stop and restart the Spectrum Connector
- New or re-published symptom alerts will still be displayed in SOI console, but they are now exempted and displayed dimmed
Instructions for filtering exempted alerts:
- In the SOI Console, define an alert filter on attribute as : “Is Exempt Equal to No”
- Symptom alerts will no longer display in the device context
- If the Root Cause Analysis Setting on the Administration / Global Settings page is NOT set to CA SOI, they will display in context of the root cause alert under Symptoms
Root Cause and Symptom alarms from Spectrum are marked by Spectrum Connector with
AlertDiagnosis=RootCause | Symptom
These alarm properties can be verified in the connector/IFW debug file \CA\SOI\log\debugData\CA_00005_Spectrum<connectorHost>_ALERT_PUB.txt if debugging is enabled. Please see the article
How to Track Alerts from CA Spectrum to CA SOI Using Debug Logs for more information.
In SOI Console Alert View, the columns MDR RootCause and MDR Symptom are set accordingly.
Your feedback is appreciated so please post any comments in this thread. As with all free Infrastructure Management Field Developed Utility postings, inquiries should be made through questions or comments in this thread, and the author, Lutz_Holzbecher, will provide a response.
All information downloaded or accessed (including field packs, customized solutions, patches etc.) are provided AS IS and no warranties are provided or made. For more information you may click here