Publishing CA Visual Infrastructure metrics to Executive Insight via Web Services (CSV Connector)
- CA Executive Insight version 2.x
- CA Visual Infrastructure version 4.8.x or 4.9.x
Executive Insight Configuration:
1. Login to the EI Admin page (e.g. http://<eihostname>:8080/admin )
2. Add a new CSV connector from the Metric connector Tab as follows:
CA Visual Infrastructure configuration:
1. Minimum version of java required: 1.6.x
2. Place “vi2ei.jar” file and EI_and_DB.properties file under the same folder in the VI server (it can run on any server that has remote access to the VI DB).
3. Edit the properties file to specify the VI URL (e.g jdbc:postgresql://cavidemo/vdc_repos), VI DB credentials and EI credentials. You can optionally enable basic logging.
4. Add the following entry in the crontab for (“root” user or “vdc” user):
<execution interval> * * * * export TZ= <location>;cd <directory>;java -jar vi2ei.jar > <directory> vi2ei.log 2>&1
15 * * * * export TZ=Europe/Madrid;cd /opt/vi2ei;java -jar vi2ei.jar > /tmp/vi2ei.log 2>&1
Configure the frequency of execution (e.g. 15 * * * * to run every 15 min past the hour) Configure VI server timezone (e.g. Europe/Madrid)
- Specify the path to the utility (e.g. /opt/vi2ei)
- Specify the logfile folder (e.g. /tmp)
5. Enable postgres remote access by running these commands:
As user postgres:
cp /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf.bak
cp /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf.bak
echo "host all all 0.0.0.0/0 trust" >> /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
echo "listen_addresses = '*'" >> /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
As user root:
service vdc stop
service vdc start
How does it work
The tool uses the same approach as CA ecoMeter to push metrics to EI via web services.
EI reads the pushed metrics from the CSV connector and displays them immediately in the EI dashboard.
The EI dashboard can be customized with categories, icons and different gauges and thresholds.
Visual Infrastructure data is retrieved from the DB using standard queries from VI reports. The data is formatted and pushed to EI web service.
The integration displays the following KPIs for each floor defined in VI:
- Number of Racks
- Occupied Floor
- Sellable Floor
- Number of U available
- U Capacity
Your feedback is appreciated so please post any comments in this thread. As with all free Infrastructure Management Field Developed Utility postings, inquiries should be made through questions or comments in this thread, and the author, NestorFalcon will provide a response.
All information downloaded or accessed (including field packs, customized solutions, patches etc.) are provided AS IS and no warranties are provided or made. For more information you may click here.