Document ID: TEC1683835
Should I use Modeling Gateway (MG) to change versions or upgrade to a Major Release of Spectrum?
It is not recommended or supported to use Modeling Gateway (MG)to import / upgrade into differing versions of Spectrum especially major releases
We do not recommend using MG across different versions of Spectrum (especially major releases) because of:
- New features or attributes added to newer versions of Spectrum are not accounted for when creating your MG export file on an older version of Spectrum.
- Modeling Gateway script/resource files get updated fairly often in the Spectrum patch process and you could be missing fixes that could have corrected a possible import/export issues.
- Depending on the version of Modeling Gateway you are using, an export file could have syntax errors, because there was some changes in 9.2 that caused some of our older XML files to have errors upon importing.
- Large MG import/export files can take many hours to complete when a simple upgrade or migration would be quicker and more reliable.
- Modeling Gateway should not be used to migrate models from one version of Spectrum to another.
- There are situations when the methodology used to identify and/or model an entity changes between Spectrum versions and Modeling Gateway is not designed to accommodate these situations.
- Therefore, users should not attempt to use Modeling Gateway to import an XML file generated by performing an export in another version of Spectrum.