Document ID: TEC1002035
Last Modified Date: 5/10/2015
Authored By: Lynn_Williams
- CA Application Performance Management
- CA Application Delivery Analysis Multi-Port Monitor
- CA Application Performance Management:Release:CA APM 9.7
- CA Application Performance Management:Release:9.7
- CA Application Delivery Analysis Multi-Port Monitor:Release:10.0
- CA Application Delivery Analysis Multi-Port Monitor:Release:10.1
- CA Application Delivery Analysis Multi-Port Monitor:Release:10.2
- CA Application Delivery Analysis Multi-Port Monitor:Release:9.2
- CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE MANAGER
- CEM SYSTEM SETUP
After upgrading a MTP TIM to 9.7, packets are not visible in the TIM UI Packet Statistics pages and TIM logs contains error messages relating to "apmpacket".
After upgrading a MTP TIM to 9.7, packets are not visible in the TIM UI Packet Statistics pages and the TIM log contains these error messages:
hub: ApmPacketComm: running: /opt/CA/APM/tim/bin/timapmpacketcomm -infd=7 -outfd=11 -timeout=2
timapmpacketcomm: connecting to apmpacket at "/var/run/apmpacket/serversocket"
**ERROR: timapmpacketcomm: can't connect to apmpacket at "/var/run/apmpacket/serversocket": No such file or directory
**ERROR: hub: ApmPacketComm: EOF from timapmpacketcomm
**ERROR: hub: ApmPacketComm: error sending config client request to timapmpacketcomm
hub: ApmPacketComm: timapmpacketcomm exited with status 1
**ERROR: hub: hubmanager: could not configure apmpacket. Retrying ...
The root cause is due to the removal of the existing TIM config directory (/etc/wily/cem/tim/config) during the upgrade.
1. The main resulting problem is the new interfacefilter.xml file (/opt/CA/APM/tim/config). The new file is misconfigured to monitor a standard interface (e.g. eth0, eth1) instead of the MTP Logical Port (configured to send packets to the TIM). This causes the apmpacket process to be referenced. This process that is only used in the new 9.7 Standard TIM with its High Performance architecture while the MTP TIM continues using worker processes.
To resolve the problem, stop the TIM and update the interfacefilter.xml file to have the correct MTP Logical Port to send packets to the TIM (MTP Administration page) e.g. for Logical Port 0:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<File><FileName>Timestock Interface Filter File</FileName><FileVersion>1.0</Fi
2. If additional "Communication Error 403" messages are seen when trying to enable or synchronize the TIM from the CEM UI , then manually add these two values to the "Configure TIM Settings" page on the Tim Setup UI.
TessCollectorIpAddr - IP Address of EM running the TIM Collection Service
TessIpAddr - IP Address of MOM
3. This APM Community document which includes backup/restore steps of the config directory for an upgrade should help to prevent similar upgrade problems: