Best practices cookbook when doing a new DevTest installation and verifying just out of the box, with Derby and ACL.
Condensed listing of the important points to be concerned with when doing a new DevTest installation. Should always follow the installation procedures in our online documentation.
All supported DevTest Releases and Platforms.
- Read online documentation Release Notes
- Make sure you have a valid license. The file-based license is valid for one year from the date of issue and will be renewed automatically as long as your support contract is up to date. The license file is sent to an email address associated with the license for your company, so if you are not sure who should be getting it, please call CA Support at 1-800-225-5224.
- Make sure you have downloaded the right version of the software.
- Read online documentation Installing section. Verify all System Requirements to make sure you have the recommended memory and space requirements.
- Decide whether this is going to be an upgrade in place (installing in the same folder as previous release) or a completely new install. Recommendation is to always install to a new folder. If you are going to use the same database from a previous version with the new version (as long as it is not before DevTest 9.0) , backup the database first, so if you have any problems you have a backup to go to. DO NOT copy the data in the database from a previous version to your new tables. If you need to keep the previous data let DevTest upgrade the schema to use with the new version.
- Before doing an install, especially on UNIX or Linux, make sure you have enough space on the target machine. The installer will unpack the files to the /tmp folder and if not big enough could get the following error: java.io.IOException: No space left on device.
- Install the software. Follow the install wizard. The license file is only associated with the Enterprise Dashboard and will be prompted for only when installing a new Enterprise Dashboard. You only need 1 license file, it can be used on multiple machines.
- Once the software is installed, DO NOT copy previous version local.properties, site.properties, dradis.properties (9.1.0 and later), logging.properties or lisa.properties files to your new install.
- If you need to change a property to a different value than what is delivered in lisa.properties, update the local.properties or site.properties files. These are delivered as templates, so copy _local.properties to local.properties and _site.properties to site.properties. The lisa.properties file should never be modified.
- Properties files are evaluated in the following order:
- site.properties take precedence over lisa.properties
- local.properties takes precedence over site.properties and lisa.properties
- Command line and vmoptions files takes precedence over all properties defined in any of the properties files.
Note: dradis.properties is only used when configuring the Enterprise Dashboard to use an external database.
- Once the software is installed, DO NOT copy any earlier or later versions of a deliverable jar file to any of the folders.
- If you are installing your components on different machines, make the appropriate updates to point to the correct Enterprise Dashboard in the site.properties file for where the Registry is running and the correct Registry in the local.properties file for where each Coordinator, Simulator and VSE is running. The Broker must run on the same machine as the Registry. You may also make the appropriate property updates in the .vmoptions files instead of the .properties files.
- Always follow this order when starting the DevTest components:
- Enterprise Dashboard
- These need be started after the Registry:
- Coordinator, then Simulator
- Verify all your DevTest components are up and running by:
- Pre 9.5.0:
- 9.5.0 and later
Always make sure you have enough space on the target machine you are installing to.
Always best to verify out of the box before adding in External Database and Security configurations.
Please open a new case with CA Support if cannot verify with these documentation and these instructions.