This is the first virtual machine in my virtual enterprise.
Create a Windows Server 2012 server using the default template and assign the following resources.
1. HDD : 40GB
2. RAM : 1GB
3. NIC : 2 (1 x "SECURE.LAB BACKEND", 1 x "VM Network")
Mount the ISO file from datastore(VMHDD1/ISO/) and boot up the machine.
In case if the iso file is not mounted to the optical drive, it may try to boot from network. In that case, manually mount the ISO file to the optical drive and reboot the virtual machine to boot from optical drive.
Perform the installation.
I have installed "Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard" with GUI.
Activate the Windows.
Manually specify the fixed IP on the "SECURE.LAB BACKEND" NIC.
I am setting up the following network.
IP Range: 172.17.8.1 ~ 172.17.11.256
Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
188.8.131.52 and 172.17.8.2 will be 2 Domain Controllers.
Following are the steps to setup a Domain Controller.
1. Install Windows Server 2012 R2.
2. Activate Windows
3. Install VMTools (reboot)
4. Configured fixed IP for "SECURE.LAB BACKEND" NIC.
5. At the "Server Manager ==> Dashboard", click "Add roles and features"
6. Select "Active Directory Domain Services" and Add Features.
7. Once the Role/Features are deployed you need to perform Post-deployment configuration.
8. Select "Add a new forest" and enter "SECURE.LAB" as the Root domain name.
9. Select the Domain Controller Options and enter "DSRM password". I will select "Forest functional level" to "Windows Server 2008 R2" because then I can still add additional domain controllers on Windows 2008 R2.
10. Enter NetBIOS domain name. This usually is the first part of the domain name thus by default mine is "SECURE". It does not have to match and you can enter different NetBIOS name of your choice.
11. Login and rename the hostname to "AD2012R2-02". (Will change hostname first on other machines but this is usually not a problem unless you have Certificate Authority installed)