Internet of Things is no longer a new concept and its impact on various industries is widely seen. Almost every household is now integrated with IoT technology thereby transforming it into an advanced and smart home. The construction industry is no less and far off in becoming technologically advanced. Think of a situation where all your machines, materials and staff are interconnected to one server which allows you to manage and monitor the real-time data of the complete process. Will that not be interesting and easy for you? IoT does exactly what you have just read.
In order to understand and get a clear picture of what IoT can offer for a construction business, it is important for us to dive deep into this article and know more about the advantages of IoT technology.
Let’s get started:
- Facilitates safety: People working in the field or site area are prone to accidents. If an IoT technology is integrated into a wearable device of the worker, it can notify the personnel regarding any safety issues or threats in the site. These wearable devices function in the same way as a phone by giving constant notifications to the people in case of any threat. This facility will not just improve the safety of workers, but will also encourage them to regularly come to work.
- Real-time reporting: The sensors record and display the real-time data at every phase. This allows users to keep a check on the data values and ensure that appropriate measures are taken for progress. The biggest advantage of having an IoT in construction is the retrieval of past records using video and CCTV footage. This further helps the user to systematically manage the data and the sensor device.
- Ease in working: With the use of IoT solutions, the workflow becomes organized and automated. The sensors and devices connected will constantly notify the users about the resources and data. In case of a resource shortage situation, the IoT sensor will immediately alert the user so that they can make necessary arrangements. This way of systematic and organized workflow will save time and ensure smooth functioning of the project.
- Improved fleet management: IoT sensors are extremely helpful in tracking the information about the vehicle carrying goods. It has the ability to inform the user regarding the vehicle’s condition, fuel, location, and speed. IoT devices are widely accepted by a number of transportation companies as they can increase efficiency, productivity, safety and security of the vehicle as well as the driver in it.
- Advanced monitoring: Mischievous and ill activities are bound to happen at the construction site. In order to protect and keep an eye on the materials and resources, it is important to install IoT devices. IoT based sensors will regularly monitor the site and prevent others from misusing the resources and materials. If it finds anybody doing a suspicious activity, then it will alarm the user by sending notifications.
- Tracking work hour: There are so many people, ranging from plumbers, electricians, cement workers etc, working at the construction site. It is highly improbable to manually track the number of labor hours but with the help of IoT sensors and devices, it is convenient to record the working time of each and every individual. This will also help them in releasing out the right amount of salary and the necessary incentives. By this way, the user can encourage more and more labors to work in cooperation.
IoT technology has proven to be a magnificent innovation in the construction industry by improving its working condition, reducing waste and increasing its efficiency. Now that a user can get real-time data, the entire workflow has become organized and systematic. The workers can immediately trace a problem and fix it without delaying much. IoT also paves a scope for continuous improvement and enables the business to fetch better results.