CA Service Management

• 1.  Archive & Purge Error - "peek"

Posted Feb 24, 2013 09:22 PM
    Hello Everyone,

Reaching out to the community to see if anyone has these errors in their stdlogs after running Archive and Purge Rules:

[font=Courier New]09/09 03:00:02.60 My_Srvr arcpur_srvr 3000 ERROR sched.c 236 Failed to peek starting time and ending time
    09/09 03:00:02.60 My_Srvr arcpur_srvr 3000 ERROR rule.c 329 Unable to peek next schedule. Cancel reoccurrence(Rule:Notify Log Header).
    09/09 03:05:00.81 My_Srvr arcpur_srvr 3000 ERROR sched.c 208 Failed to get starting time and ending time[font]

These result in this case from running Archive and Purge rules on SDM 12.5 against large tables, with a one hour window specified via the workshift.

The Archive and Purge does run correctly - only these errors are generated.

I'm setting up the same test to run in my lab box, but I was wondering if some sites that use these rules could do a string search for the first bolded error line above, and give me a yes/no if it is present on any SDM version.
    (Full text search of client issues hasn't pulled up another instance.)

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 2.  Re: Archive & Purge Error - "peek"

Posted Nov 28, 2016 04:05 PM

Hi Kyle - we got the same error this past Saturday 11/26/2016 for one of the rules that actually ran successfully.  The other rules that are scheduled on the same workshift did *not* run, so I think this error impacted the running of the remaining rules?  Anyone else know?

• 3.  Re: Archive & Purge Error - "peek"

Posted Nov 28, 2016 06:26 PM

Hello Rebecca,

Thanks for taking the effort to respond. 

You may be best off logging a new CA Communities post, as I don't know if many people will see the updates to this thread as it is so old. Or if you really want an answer as you see this issue happening multiple times, then please log an issue with CA Support.

Anyway, I'll tell you everything that has been reported on this specific error since I initially noted it here in 2013 - it's not much. 

A. The original case was resolved as follows.

- - -

Definition: JUL 30 2013 19:36 Tech: Kyle_R. Product USRD 12.1.
    Archive and Purge rule works fine and runs, but produces an error in the stdlog:
    09/09 03:00:02.60 sdc1as285 arcpur_srvr 3000 ERROR sched.c 236 Failed to peek starting time and ending time

Resolution: OCT 28 2013 15:54 Tech: Tech: Kyle_R

1) Scheduled window only five minutes long against a very big table.
    The Recurrence interval was greater than the allowed run time.

2) Correct archive and purge settings found and confirmed - see journal notes. However, not working when given to  client. SDM 12.7 does work.

A workaround has been given to use Windows Task Scheduler and manually call the archive and purge rule name to run it weekly.

- - -

B.The same error was reported once more in 2014 against SDM 12.7, but in the logs there was an accompanying SQL error.

It was the SQL problem that was the root of the issue, not the Archive and Purge system itself.

- - - 

Definition: OCT 16 2014 09:50 
    Archive and purge not working:
    10/13 14:07:41.47 W169N0V arcpur_srvr 5608 ERROR row_obj.c 847 Receive message error (method = row:10).
    10/13 14:07:41.48 W169N0V arcpur_srvr 5608 ERROR sched.c 239 Failed to peek starting time and ending time

Resolution: OCT 18 2014 01:27 Tech: FATAN01
    T5PT291 testfix provided.

- - -

C. There was one report in 2015 against SDM 12.7. 

It was left unresolved as the customer was undergoing a move to ITSM 14.1 anyway.

I hope that this helps a bit. 

My Thoughts

It is either an uncommon error, or an under-reported error. Only four customer notes of it (including yours) since records go back to AHD 4.0.

So I'd guess that the underlying functionality here is pretty robust, and that likely triggers are going to be:

• Setup - Make sure that there is a reasonable run time for Archive and Purge against big tables.
      Case A above.
    • Environment - "Random stuff" could cause an issue, and it just happened to be Archive and Purge that got caught in the cross-fire. Such as a database/network blip.
      Case B above. 
    • Weird Stuff - Contact CA Support if it should be working, but doesn't. We can put on tracing and look.
      Or implement a workaround such as manually calling the Archive and Purge Task from Windows Task Scheduler.
      Case A again.

In your case, something got stuck that prevented the Archive and Purge from continuing to run. 

If this just happened once, it may not be a big issue - it should run again correctly next time after a recycle.

If you do log a call, please point the engineer to this thread and they can reach out to me. It would need to be a recurring issue so that we could put on trace logging and capture it when it happens again.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 4.  Re: Archive & Purge Error - "peek"

Posted Nov 28, 2016 06:40 PM

Thanks Kyle - we keep splitting our jobs up into separate windows, and yes, they do seem to get hammered by blips now & again.