Introscope Workstation Images for Mac

Haruhiko Davis

Haruhiko DavisMar 07, 2013 05:07 PM

Chris_Kline

Chris_KlineJun 24, 2015 09:53 PM

• 1.  Introscope Workstation Images for Mac

Posted Mar 07, 2013 04:58 PM

*Updated for latest process at APM 10.7 (on Mac 10.13)*

First, let me share that this is not an officially supported distribution. You cannot call support for help with this.  

However, using the very same files as are found in the Linux version of the workstation, I've created .app files for Mac, so you just use them like a regular app. The JNLP Web Start doesn't presently launch cleanly on Mac, so this is the better way to get full client functionality.

Pre-packaged Download

Currently supported versions of APM have workstation packages for Mac attached below.  

Manual Build Steps

If you wish to make your own images, here's the steps used. If you have a linux set of files to pull from, it takes less than 10 minutes to setup.

1. Install workstation on Linux to gain access to files
      1. Untar the Linux version of the workstation tar from support.ca.com and run the installer on a Linux VM (there is no distro that is just the files only; everything is wrapped in .bin)
      2. Install necessary service packs, packaged as JAR files.  Presently for 10.7, this includes SP2. After installing the 10.7.0 workstation, copy the APM10.7.0.115SP2.jar to the Introscope Workstation directory. Then run it with java -jar. It will automatically patch the workstation (in my case from build 45 to build 115). 
    2. Copy Linux workstation to Mac
      1. Still on Linux, create a tarball of the entire workstation directory and copy the file over to Mac.
    3. Build Mac workstation. 
      1. Untar the Linux workstation file copied from above into a temp dir.
      2. Copy the old Mac .app (like 10.5) to to a new one.  Rename it to the correct new version (but still with the old files in it).
        1. We will whack the workstation subtree, but this will retain the package format
      3. Update the Info.plist with new CFBundleVersion (10.7.0.115).  Keep the rest the same
      4. Go to Resources/WilyWorkstation. This is the actual workstation subtree.
        1. Remove everything
    4. In your temp directory containing the exported Linux workstation, remove unnecessary stuff
      1. Remove jre/ UninstallerData/ install/ logs/ docs/ hotfix/
      2. Resulting dir tree should be about 95 mb in size
    5. Copy the remaining files from the temp dir into Resources/WilyWorkstation on your .app/ subtree.
    1. Run to make sure it's working
      1. Edit the workstation .lax file for a 1gig java heap (default is much smaller).
      2. Shouldn't need any further customizations
      3. Workstation requires java 8.  If you have java 10+ already installed and cannot go back to java8 for other reasons, follow these instructions to get java8 also installed: https://pete-woods.com/2018/01/multiple-jvm-versions-on-macos/. It will then work when launched from CLE (at CA APM Workstation 10.7.0.115.app/Contents/Resources/WilyWorkstation) with jenv global set to java8. Tested with APM 10.7.
      4. Double-click on the .app file and see that it launches correctly.  This app can now be shared around with others.
    2. Create a new image (dmg) for distribution.
      1. Check size of dir with du
      2. Use disk utility to create a new disk image (or you can copy an existing one and remove its old content, but you'll need to empty the trash before the existing image will have enough room for your new .app to be copied)
      3. Make the image the right size (we did 100mb, custom)
      4. Format: Mac OS Extended
      5. Partition: Single partition (default)
      6. Image name should have format CA_Wily_Introscope_Workstation-10.7.0.0.dmg.
    3. Mount the image, drag the app dir that you made into it
    4. Right-click, reveal in finder
    5. Create a readme telling to drag the app to apps folder and noting any custom changes you made.

The <app_name.app>/Contents/MacOS/Introscope_workstation script:
    #!/bin/sh DIR=`dirname "$0" | sed 's! !\\ !g'` DIR=$DIR/../Resources/WilyWorkstation cd "$DIR" #echo "*****" #echo "PWD = $PWD" exec ./Introscope_Workstation

Which in turn calls <app_name.app>/Contents/Resources/WilyWorkstation/IntroscopeWorkstation

I think this is the stock startup script for Linux, though I've copied it into the bottom of this page for comparison in case it ever gets trashed.

10/2018: Now need to apply jar file for service packs. Needs to be done on Linux before exporting the tarball for Mac. After installing the 10.7.0, copy the APM10.7.0.115SP2.jar to the Introscope Workstation directory. Then run it with java -jar. It will automatically patch the workstation (in my case from build 45 to build 115). It also leaves behind a hotfix directory of about 80mb that is no longer needed and which can be removed to save on the disk image size. This was done for 10.7 SP2.

10/2018: Keep in mind that this only works with Java 8, not Java 10. If you have java 10+ already installed and cannot go back to java8 for other reasons, follow these instructions to get java8 also installed: https://pete-woods.com/2018/01/multiple-jvm-versions-on-macos/. It will then work when launched from CLE (at CA APM Workstation 10.7.0.115.app/Contents/Resources/WilyWorkstation) with jenv global set to java8. Tested with APM 10.7.

• 2.  RE: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2013 05:07 PM
    Awesome, Chris!

Thanks for posting this!

• 3.  RE: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Mar 07, 2013 05:31 PM
    Chris,

Thanks for this! I have had to figure out these steps once before, so it's a nice relief to have a reference.

- Jack

• 4.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jul 11, 2014 02:14 PM

I've posted an updated DMG file for APM 9.6.0.0.  Enjoy.

• 5.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Dec 04, 2014 01:40 PM

Posted update for the pending release of APM 9.7.0.

• 6.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Aug 25, 2016 02:13 PM

Hi Chris, I do not have a Mac but some of my client are using one. If you could please help me with the mac build for APM workstation version 9.7.0.27.

Let me know if you need more information.

• 7.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Sep 07, 2016 03:38 PM

Chris_Kline If you could please help me with the above request. Let me know if you need more information.

• 8.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Apr 20, 2015 01:34 PM

Introscope Workstation for Mac for APM 9.7.1.16 has been posted.  http://bit.ly/apm4mac

• 9.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jun 24, 2015 09:53 PM

Updated for 10.0.  http://bit.ly/apm4mac.

• 10.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jun 30, 2015 08:25 PM

Not sure if anyone has this problem. The application starts and displays the login dialog, one enters the credentials, the handshake goes on to say Authenticated, disappears and at that point only the LAX menubar remains. Any ideas? Typically on other platforms when using WebStart I have issues lowering the security settings and the improper domain certificate for the host ip address but not sure if that can cause this or not, since I don't know if it's the local os (OSX Yosemite 10.10) or the wrapper, or the JRE version or ...

• 11.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2015 11:22 AM

Hi,

I don't use a locally installed workstation, I usually only use the webstart workstation and that works fine on my Mac. I save the jnlp file locally and open it with Java Web Start.app.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 12.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jul 01, 2015 12:11 PM

What version are you having trouble with?  I just tried it with 10.0 a few days ago and it worked ok.  The problem you described can happen when the workstation and EM are mismatched versions.

• 13.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jul 03, 2015 08:04 AM

Hi Chris,

That was it, wrong minor version of the client. Thanks, great stuff!

• 14.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jul 03, 2015 03:20 AM

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for the new Workstation.

Lutz

p.s.

Could you modify the used Introscope_Workstation.lax file, to make your Workstation more useable, please.

We use

lax.command.line.args=$CMD_LINE_ARGUMENTS$ -consoleLog -noExit -product com.wily.introscope.workstation.product -name "Introscope Workstation" -install "./product/workstation" -configuration "@user.home/Library/Caches/Introscope/configuration"

to get a user specific property set. This fits to the Webstart Workstation settings.

And set "./config/internal/console/ws-plugins" folder to "drwxrwsrwx" to allow everybody to store plugins.

Sorry, this is a suggestion only.

But this are the things I changed all the time to make your Workstation App useable.

In general this is one of the ugly problems from the workstation in general (on linux and Windows too). The code does not fit to multi user environments.

• 15.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jul 07, 2015 07:36 PM

Thanks LutzM.  I've made the changes in my template for use on the next release when I build it.  In general, we aren't investing in the Workstation as we're putting our focus on the new web-based UI so that these issues aren't something that we have to deal with at all.  WebView was the focus through APM 9.7, and Team Center will be our focus going forward in 10.0+.

• 16.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Jul 16, 2015 08:35 AM

Hi Chris,

unfortunately you are right, CA stop the Workstation development with 9.5.x.

Yes, WebView is a nice data viewer today, but Webview can not replace the Workstation today.

And we are happy to use the Workstation on Mac OS X systems too.

Bye, Lutz

• 17.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Feb 10, 2016 11:58 AM

A hopefully interesting update:  JNLP Webstart works just fine on Mac now.  This was tested against:

APM 10.0.0.12, 10.1.0.13 and 10.2.0.11 (beta)

OSX 10.11.3

Chrome 50 (browser really shouldn't matter; it's just the JNLP file you download)

Java 1.8.0.73

Launched just fine with no tweaks.  This should mean you don't need a standalone workstation build for Mac!

• 18.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:55 PM

Chris_Kline

DO we need to add teh above to a KB or official document? I can do the former if needed

• 19.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Mar 06, 2017 01:17 PM

Probably a good idea, Hal.

• 20.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2017 02:04 PM

Chris_Kline

I created this KB.It may not appear until tommorrow

Corrections and Updates are welcomed

Obtaining Introscope Workstation for Macintosh. TEC1914746
    http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1914746.html

• 21.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Mar 06, 2017 01:17 PM

I have updated the APM Workstation for Mac for 10.5.1.8.  Download is the same at http://bit.ly/apm4mac .

• 22.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Oct 30, 2018 05:58 PM

Is there a workstation version available for 10.7?

• 23.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 06:32 PM

Chris:

The original KB has been retired . But looking at the drop box that it refers to , I see nothing past 10.5.1 I asked internally for a response..

• 24.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac (Now Available)

Posted Oct 31, 2018 01:00 PM

A workstation image for 10.7 SP2 (build 115) has been created using the above directions.  I also refreshed the directions to be current for APM 10.7 and Mac 10.13.

Due to platform enhancements for the Jive community, we can now host these files directly here.  I've thus uploaded all images for all currently supported APM versions to this post.

• 25.  Re: Introscope Workstation Images for Mac

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2018 10:03 AM

Thank you Chris for responding so quickly! Greaty appreciated.