Clarity

• 1.  Gel - email notifications - sending a variable URL

Posted Oct 12, 2010 07:07 AM
    Hi All,  I'm currently developing a multipurpose gel email communications, parameter based process which has 1 step to perform a query on the Issues-Risks table and send an smtp notification.  I moved all of the logic to the start and update conditions for the process.  The second step is a custom Gel.  the Gel queries the issue/risk table and moves the generic information and gel:email sends some high level information along with a URL at the bottom to link to the Issue/Risk.  Since all of the information that I'm sending in the email notification is the same for either a risk or issue, all is good.  Additionally, since there is a column returned which identifies the contents as an 'ISSUE' or 'RISK', I can vary my output with these values and get more descriptive labels in the message.  Where the trouble begins is with making a CDATA link back to the issue object or the risk object since each of these links are totally different.  Question:  is there a known method for checking a condition in GEL and populating correctly a variable CDATA link where the entire URL is different based on some variable?  Ultimately, I can have 2 copies of the GEL (one used on the Issue Object and the other on the Risk object) with the only difference is the  URL; however, I was seeking only to have 1 rather generic custom GEL in this example.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Vic  

• 2.  Re: Gel - email notifications - sending a variable URL

Hi Vic,  Question:  is there a known method for checking a condition in GEL and populating correctly a variable CDATA link where the entire URL is different based on some variable?                 Ans: Yes. you can validate the object type (Risk or Issue) and send the correct URL to requestor based on the object, for the same steps thro Gel Script.If Object type is Risk, only Risk object section is running. Not Issue object.    Just change your existing scipt based on the below Gel Script:  
         SELECT ID OBJ_ID ,RIM_RISK_ISSUE_CODE OBJ_CODE, NAME OBJ_NAME, DESCRIPTION OBJ_DESC,
          CASE WHEN TYPE_CODE='RISK' THEN 0 WHEN TYPE_CODE = 'ISSUE' THEN 1 END OBJ_TYPECODE
          FROM RIM_RISKS_AND_ISSUES WHERE ID = ${gel_objectInstanceId}
                  ${OBJVAL.rows[0].OBJ_ID}
                  ${OBJVAL.rows[0].OBJ_CODE}
                  ${OBJVAL.rows[0].OBJ_NAME}
                  ${OBJVAL.rows[0].OBJ_DESC}
      ${OBJVAL.rows[0].OBJ_TYPECODE}

Dear Senthil Kumar,  mail content + Risk Object URL (Based on your Requirement)

Dear Senthil Kumar,  mail content + Issue Object URL (Based on your Requirement)        ThanksSenthil.

• 3.  Re: Gel - email notifications - sending a variable URL

Senthil,  Many Many Thanks!   I get it.   Since you can't add logic in the gel:mail portion for just the URL, take the logic one level higher.   I appeciate it and will test and validate this evening.  Vic