Clarity

• 1.  Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 13, 2013 12:08 AM
    Hi guys,

Currently in our company we have doing tests because we need migrate to 12.0 SP6 to 13.1

Our new application server currently have:
    - Windows 2008 Enterprise
    - Clarity 12.0 SP6

I know that 12.0 is unsupported to running in Windows 2008, but I think that is normal, because is the only way to restore our production database in the clarity version.

Our new database server have:
    - Windows 2008 Enterprise
    - SQL 2005

In this moment news server is running with production data, because I said our current prod environment is 12.0 SP6

New server have production data using SQL 2005, however in this point I have a doubt:

Before to run install.bat of 12.1 / 13.1. I must:

- Upgrade Java / Tomcat
    - Upgrade SQL 2005 to 2008

I think that Java / Tomcat maybe is more easy, However I'm not sure about SQL Upgrade.

Does anyone say me the correct procedure to perform Upgrade SQL?
    The above task have any risk / impact?
    Some key point / tip?

Finally, what do you think to go directly from 12.0 SP6 to 13.1?, do you think that is better go to 12.1 and then 13.1?

I saw that both are supported path to go 13.1 from (12.0.x any SP / 12.1)

Pelase advice,
    Thanks guys,

Juan P.

• 2.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 13, 2013 12:23 PM
      |   view attached
    Here is a document that is freely available on the Microsoft website on upgrading SQL Server 2005 to 2008. Hope it provides some info for you.

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 13, 2013 01:47 PM
    That is definitely good info, though an answer shorter than 37 pages were good, too.

The first option that comes to my mind were just to back up the SQL 2005 and restore it to a new SQL 2008 if that can be done.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 13, 2013 03:12 PM
    Would happen to have something similar for upgrading Windows from 32 bit to 64 without losing Clarity, JDK and Tomcat?

Martti K.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 13, 2013 04:23 PM
    I installed in the new server:

- Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise
    - SQL 2008
    - Clarity 12.0 SP6
    - Tomcat / Java

The clarity 12.0 SP6 works fine in Windows 2008 (I know that is unsupported), but is only way for restore production database and upgrade to 13.1 - the only issue I'm having is "cannot install XDM"

Now I tried to restore to production database in new environment, the restore is executed correctly, but at moment to try access to clarity application I received a following message error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Failed to verify database

com.niku.union.web.WebControlServlet.init(WebControlServlet.java:141)

javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:211)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)

org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve.invoke(FastCommonAccessLogValve.java:495)

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

root cause

com.niku.union.config.ConfigurationException: Failed to verify database

Please advice, maybe is better to install first SQL 2005 and then that all it's OK, upgrade SQL 2005 to 2008

What do you think?

Regards,
    Juan P.

• 6.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 13, 2013 05:17 PM
    Upgrade is one way.

Though it sounds like a connection issue to me. See the last post in

As explained above this is the way it worked for me:
    Establish database user and login as explained in install guide, Gerogy's blog
    https://communities.ca.com/web/georgy/blog/-/blogs/install-clarity12-1-on-windows-steps-alone?_33_redirect=https%3a%2f%2fcommunities.ca.com%2fweb%2fgeorgy%2fblog%3fp_p_id%3d33%26p_p_lifecycle%3d0%26p_p_state%3dnormal%26p_p_mode%3dview%26p_p_col_id%3dcolumn-1%26p_p_col_count%3d1%26%23p_33&#p_33
    SQL Server Database setup for Clarity.docx in

Then establish you can log to the data base on the db server with the login created above using SQL Server management studio or Oracle Enterprise manager (????) to verify that your login is OK.

Thirdly establish that your database client is configured properly by creating an ODBC connection on the app server. If the connection works OK then the client is set up OK. In my case the client port was wrong.

Finally set the CSA/NSA database setting to match what you have verified to work above.

Martti K.

• 7.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 14, 2013 04:41 PM
    Hi Juan,

I had a same issue with other environment, my issue was that the after restore database, niku user database in the table not pointing to schema.

When I tried to set manually using SQL Managment Studio, I received a message error saying that the user already exists, however I opened new query analyzer and I execute the following store procedure and I was able to see that niku user is orphaned

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'

The above returned a niku user as orphaned

The following SP allowed solve:

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'niku'

I closed management studio, opened new, now the user niku is pointing correctly to schema.

1 - niku start nsa
    2 - access to nsa
    3 - properties / database

Now database is available

1 - niku start all / application works fine.

I hope that this is useful for you,
    Regards,

If anyone have another tips, please advice.

Thanks,
    Nico

• 8.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 14, 2013 04:51 PM
    That happens often after restoring dumps when everything else is OK. Sangeet suugest that in his blog.

http://letstalkclarity.blogspot.fi/2008/07/6-sql-server-2005-configuration-for.html

The option is to rename the current niku user and do again steps
    3. Security > Create Login > niku ( Select SQL Server Login and give niku password )
    4. Database > Niku > Security > Users > Create User > user Name : niku ; Login : niku
    5. Database > Niku > Security > Schema > Create Schema > Schema Name : niku ; Schema Owner : niku
    6. Security > Logins > Niku > Properties > User Mapping > Select Niku database Row > For Niku Database change 'Default Schema' to niku > In Below Pane check the role membership for 'db_owner'.

or create a new user with another name.

Though
    EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'niku'
    is the simplest (if your user name is niku)

Martti K.

• 9.  RE: Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Posted Mar 16, 2013 10:28 AM
    Finally,

I create newly niku user in database.

Thanks for all tips