DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

• 1.  Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Mar 20, 2013 03:34 PM
    We recently upgraded our entire system and moved from a 5 node Oracle Cluster to a massive Oracle Exadata Server running 11g. Another change was that we no longer use SID's to connect...we use a Service. As a result, monitoring that "used" to work no longer does. Since we are now running an Exedata....I had to move the Oracle Agent off of the local boxes and set it up remotely. When I try to connect I get the following error:

3/20/13 07:26:32 PM GMT [ERROR] [OracleDBAgent] Connection error for host/database:<db_hostname>/<service_id>. Reporting no data values. Listener refused the connection with the following error:
    ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

It there a way to configure this? I found nothing in the CA APM for Oracle Databases Guide.

Running Introscope V9.1.0.2 Build: 584596 for the oracle agent.

Thanks.

JJ

• 2.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Mar 20, 2013 05:17 PM
    To My knowledge, the APM Oracle Agent does not support RAC/Service names.
    Last I heard CA recommends Insight/Insight_Lite for Database monitoring.
    In my experience, the APM Oracle Agent still works but connects only using SID.

Brgds,
    Richard Green

• 3.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Mar 21, 2013 09:17 AM
    DPM Insight Lite (Database Performance Management) should work and is licensed for free for existing APM customers.
    You should be able to download DPM Insight Lite in the CA Support Portal. Please also check the DPM Insight Lite documentation on how to setup and configure the database monitoring solution.

• 4.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2013 01:27 AM
    Just confirmed that support for service_name is now supported in 9.1.1.0 and above.

• 5.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2013 06:27 PM
    The support for this feature is in the SQLAgent, not the PowerPack.

• 6.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Mar 27, 2013 11:34 AM
    What package is the "SQL Agent?" I see it in the Oracle Application Server Agent but will this provide the same type of data that the Oracle Power Pack does/did?

Thanks.

• 7.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 27, 2013 02:53 PM
    SQLAgent is a component of the Java/.NET agent. There's nothing for you to install.

As I previously stated, it's in 9.1.1.0 and higher.

• 8.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Mar 29, 2013 06:18 PM
    Our organization has moved to DBInsight and we monitor both Oracle and Microsoft SQL. Move to DBInsight. Last I looked at the Oracle Agent extension, development after Oracle 9g had stopped, because DBInsight came out. The problem is that a lot of major changes occured for 11g and the Oracle Agent Extension doesn't do it justice. Switch over to DBInsight and you can run remote agents to your Oracle Database (or install locally) which will provide a lot better information to track problems.

JW

• 9.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2013 06:24 PM
    The update for this feature is not in the Oracle agent, but the SQLAgent itself.

One of my counterparts in CA was kind enough to update the Oracle extension, so if you're interested in continuing to use this, please let me know and I'll see how I can get this to you.

We do recommend you utilize DPM Lite or DB Insight going forward.

• 10.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Apr 09, 2013 02:21 PM
    Hi,

I am looking for Insight Light for Oracle but I did not find any documents for it on the support site. Would you be able to point me to the right place.

Thanks in advance.

• 11.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Apr 15, 2013 05:08 AM
    Hi,

I found the document (dcc_integration_enu.pdf) in the DOC folder when you download the Insight DPM Lite Agent (CA Download Center -> Application Performance Management.

Cheers,

Kelvin

• 12.  RE: Monitoring Oracle 11g with Service instead of SID

Posted Apr 15, 2013 02:14 PM
    Thanks Kevin.