DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

• 1.  TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 07:02 AM
    The status says it all.

I have a TIM currently working with APM/CEM in production and I'm implementing a new non-production test APM CEM solution.
    I don't want to have to purchase and install a new non-production TIM and have to work to gather test data from test apps, when I'd prefer to collect real data and have it also sent to my new non-prod collector.

Possible, easy, difficult?

Regards and thanks in advance.

Bob Lomax
    Fujitsu UK.

• 2.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 11:28 AM
    Still trying to understand your question, you want to send prod CEM data to your non-prod APM cluster?

NOW: Prod-TIM -> Prod-APM cluster

DESIRED: Prod-TIM -> non-prod-apm cluster? and vice-versa on demand?

• 3.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 12:23 PM
    Thank you for the reply.

I want one TIM in the production network, collecting data from real applications access to feed both production APM and a new non-production (Test) APM.
    Currently I have a standard solution in production only with a TIM and an APM EM Collector.

So, I'm looking to replicate or split the feed to the two APM systems.

I don't know if this is simple or complex.

Regards,

Bob.

• 4.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 12, 2013 12:19 PM
    No, you cannot send data from a single TIM to multiple APM Collectors / EMs. It only supports a 1-to-1 relationship, currently.

• 5.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 12:26 PM
    Thanks for the comment Jak.

Can you think of a workaround, some way of grabing the data as it is stored on the TIM. A database level replication of some sort?

If it can't be done by standard configuration of the TIM or collector then I'd like to think outside the box before I abandon the idea.

Regards,

Bob.

• 6.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2013 12:34 PM
    Are you using any sort of port aggregator? Do you have any available ports?

If yes to both, then you should be able to send the same data to each port which is then cabled to the switch where the TIM is installed.

• 7.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 02:21 PM
    Jack and Hiko is right on the money.

TIM is one-to-one relationship to an APM cluster. Perhaps you might want to submit an enhancment request for TIM to replicates data into two APM clusters.

You can try to export the Prod APM DB and import into non-prod APM DB. You might be able to merge the APM DBs but this would require huge amount of effort. Deploying new TIM would be much easier.

• 8.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 15, 2013 04:09 AM
    Thanks everyone for the replies. :grin:

It seems the consensus is that the data from one TIM cannot be output to more than one EM/Collector (APM Cluster) or not without considering complex data/DB replication.
    Sorry, but I don't properly understand the question raised by hdavis as I can't see how that helps me get data out of a TIM.
    At least I can start discussions about acquiring a second TIM with good reasoning behind my request. :kid:

Bob.

• 9.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2013 04:15 AM
    Hi Bob,
    I'm sorry my reply wasn't very clear.

My question to you was more about how your current network configuration was done to mirror the HTTP/S traffic to the TIM.
    If you're using a port aggregator, such as Gigamon and you had available ports, you could just add another TIM to the same span traffic which is technically what you were wanting to do.

So if the company can provide another physical or virtual server, that will address the question you put forth.

-Hiko

• 10.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 15, 2013 04:36 AM
    Ah, I see now what you were asking Hiko.

My whole posting was about trying to avoid adding a new TIM and trying to simply split the single TIM output.
    However, based on the responses, a second TIM may be the way I have to go anyway. If so, I will indeed use my network capabilities (dual switches) to add the second TIM to grab the same SPAN port traffic.

Thanks again for your response.

Bob.

• 11.  RE: TIM - Possible to split data to two APM Collector/EMs?

Posted Apr 15, 2013 01:22 PM
    If you're happy with the responses, can you mark this as resolved?

Thanks.