DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Error Detector Capability of CA APM

Posted Apr 22, 2013 05:10 AM
    Hi there,

I am fairly new to the CA APM world and I know from implementing CA APM solution for Demo Environment and POC that
    we have error detection (SQL, code errors etc.) for .net and JAVA environment. However, can we enable error detection
    for other programming languages like PHP, ASP, JSP, C++, C, PL/SQL, SQL etc. I know that using EPAGENT you can surely
    receive metrics for most programming languages. But, I am unsure about error detection, change detection etc. I am certain
    based on the documentation that we can't support Leak Hunter for EPAGENT.

Furthermore, I wish to confirm if we can support the following for JAVA/.net environment:
    deadlocks detection, data exception, protection exception, stack overflow, invalid objects and run-time errors.

Last but not the least, I have always used CA APM for web applications. How matured and capable it is in terms of
    standalone apps (.exe apps) for instance: If I want to monitor an app for soil profiling written in core java + GUI.

Your suggestion and guidance is highly appreciated. I intend to build my skills in regards with CA APM. Hence, I am
    very curious and knowledge-hungry.

Regards,
    NIKUNJ JAIN.

• 2.  RE: Error Detector Capability of CA APM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 22, 2013 07:24 PM
    We do not provide integration with those languages; we do support JSP.

We're looking at PHP as a possible integration, but you'll want to speak with product team about that.

If your company wants support for a particular language, consider submitting an enhancement via Ideas/Ideation link above. You could also pursue a paid custom solution via CA Global Delivery.

• 3.  RE: Error Detector Capability of CA APM

Posted Apr 22, 2013 09:53 PM
    Thanks for the recommendation Dave.
    I think that is very helpful indeed. Firstly, I need to discuss this with my superiors and move this thing forward from there on.
    Thanks yet again.

- Nick

• 4.  RE: Error Detector Capability of CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 22, 2013 09:57 PM
    I forgot to mention that if you were to create an integration piece in EPAgent, you can write error events to Error Detector.

Please refer to the EPA guide for details on how to submit the XML to EPA to create an event.

• 5.  RE: Error Detector Capability of CA APM

Posted Apr 23, 2013 02:03 AM
    Well Appreciated piece of information there Dave.
    Dave, quick confirmation about EPAgent. I went through the EPAgent guide and it talks about
    plugins for things like DiskStats for Windows/Solaris, logreader for IIS, Weblogic etc.
    Can EPagent be used to gather stats like Disk I/O, Memory utilization and receiving metrics for
    C, C++, COBOL, RPG etc or we have to employ Cross-Enterprise APM's Application tuner for these
    languages.

Regards,
    NICK

• 6.  RE: Error Detector Capability of CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2013 02:24 AM
    EPAgent is basically a Java agent that can run other applications. Those applications must write their information to STDOUT in a format recognizable to EPAgent.
    So has long as your program can do that, then you can use EPAgent.

The agent comes with many plugins OOTB written in Perl. You'll find those in <EPA_HOME>/epaplugins. We use Perl because of cross-platform compatibility.
    You can write your plugins in your language of choice as long as it's compatible with the OS and it outputs to STDOUT.
    EPA is a good option for gathering OS-level statistics, like performance metrics you normally gather from the commandline or log files.

You can also utilize the HTTP listener in the agent to receive XML if you would rather just stream the output to EPA.