Gary_Cherlet

DIY Rookie DBA Training

Discussion created by Gary_Cherlet on May 2, 2013

This is not a recommendation to do DBA Training without an experienced "guide" or "mentor"! However, I realise the reality of the situation that sometimes people get dumped into a job and they have to "sink or swim"! This post outlines a program for a "supervised-in-house-ome-on-one" DBA training program. I have conducted this training for a number of organisations with a pretty good success rate. The ZIP file attached to this post contains some details about what "reading" and what accompanying "hands on training" is used when running the DBA Training. I offer this up for the benefit of those who do not have access to a mentor - but who still need to know how to get on with their job.

The first few files from the .ZIP file are attached to this post - so if you want to just take a look at what's outlined - you don't need to download the ZIP file - which is quite small in any event!

If you follow the details provided in the ZIP file you will at least learn where to look in the CA-IDMS documentation set - which has been refined over the last 40 years to become a knowledge base of unsurpassed usefulness to any DBA, regardless of how new or how experienced.

HTH - cheers - GaryC

Here is the "course outline" extracted from a proposal to conduct the one-on-one training:

To:DBA Trainee’s Manager
Subject:DBA Training

Mr Manager - as promised here's an outline for 1-on-1 DBA training. Let me know if this is of interest to ... <...... snip......>... etc .

Cheers - Gary

"IDD" and "Defining and Implementing a Database" both have some hands on content, other than that there's not too much I can do other than theory - except for Oper and Perf Mon to examine some of the things that we talk about.

I would expect that you shouldn't have any trouble finding hands on things for the DBA to do in one of the CV's sites that you support. We can discuss what would be reasonable, giving consideration to the material covered up to any given point in time.

The training is conducted on-site at ABC in a series of 2-3hour sessions. My rate for this type of work is $nnn/hour (before tax). I've provided an outline of the content and order in which the material might be covered, and an approximate timing for each area of interest. Depending on the questions asked and the level of detail some topics might be pursued to, the estimate of 25 hours could vary - so we would need to set an upper time limit for this sort of consultancy. As I indicated previously, if you wanted to have others sit in on some of the topics I am happy to have more than one person from time to time.

• IDD - Integrated Data Dictionary - 3 hours
    • Structure
    • Relationship to compilers
    • Common syntax (entity occ security, comments, etc)
    • Create RECord structures (demo database)
    • Use of OLQ to explore
  • Defining and Implementing a Database - 10 hours
    • Implement the Demo Database under a CV
    • Utilities
  • CV/DC/UCF Overview - 5 hours
    • Architecture
    • System generation
    • Storage and Program Pools
    • Monitoring
  • DB Performance and Monitoring - 2 hours
    • Analysers
    • Print Space
    • Buffer pools
    • What to watch for
    • Run Unit Stats
  • Problem Solving - 5 hours
    • PerfMon, OPER, DCMT
    • OLP
    • Look at "live" systems

The “read, discuss, and do” type of training has the added benefit of familiarising the trainee with the CA-IDMS documentation set – thus providing the added value that when it is cold and dark in the middle of the night and there is nobody around to ask for help – the new DBA will know where to look so that he/she can find the required information and get on with the job!

Cheers - Gary
Gary Cherlet
Contractor

Message was edited by: Gary Cherlet to improve readability - content had been a bit mangled during "Jive" conversion!

Outcomes