Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

• 1.  Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 13, 2010 06:45 AM
    hi,

We were just wondering how people are working in regard to "None" Track mode resources. Prior to upgrading to 12.0.6 our 8.1.1 environment allowed us to enter actuals in OWB for these resources. After upgrading to 12.0.6 an undocumented bug fix stopped us from updating actuals in OWB (we can enter new actual costs via a support provided SQL fix).

I know some people have been using transaction entry to enter these costs but I can't believe we're the only ones who have used OWB for entering costs for "none" track mode resources.

Does anyone else use OWB for entering actuals (on any version of Clarity) ? Are you aware of the fix to stop you doing this in 12.0.3 onwards ? How would you plan to get around this ?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Ken.

• 2.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 13, 2010 09:26 AM
    Hello

I'm having this same problem now, our actuals for the resources aren't getting posted. We used to do that on MSP and Clarity 7.5.3

We went to 12.04 and it stopped working. We have created a CA support case, i will update this if they proovide me with a solution.

Cheers

Rafa

• 3.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 13, 2010 10:37 AM
    Hi,

thanks for the response - I'm glad we're not the only ones !

There was a bug fix in 12.0.5 (CLRT-44692) that is currently allowing us to book new actuals as our workaround. Unfortunately that doesn't help you much - sorry.

I'll update this when we get confirmation of a solution and how it will be delivered.

Ken.

• 4.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 14, 2010 10:02 AM
    Hello Ken

I received response from Support. As I feared, It is not possible to enter actuals for Resources with track mode = "None" through the scheduling tool.

This is the response from Support:

The following chart lists the CA Clarity PPM field configurations required to support each of the previously described scenarios:

[color=#FF0606]Scenario[color]
    - Resource Settings
    - Project Settings

[color=#FF0606]Everyone using the CA Clarity PPM Time sheet [color]
    Resource Track mode = CA Clarity PPM
    Project Track mode = CA Clarity PPM

[color=#FF0606]No time sheets; manual enter time into the project s plan [color]
    Resource Track mode = None
    Project Track mode = None

[color=#FF0606]Every employee using CA Clarity PPM Timesheet; Contractors do not have CA Clarity PPM logins so their time needs to be entered manually. [color]
    Internal employees Track mode = CA Clarity PPM
    Contractors Track mode = None
    Project Track mode = CA Clarity PPM
    Note: The contractors time needs to be manually entered via the Transaction Entry screen in CA Clarity PPM

So in order to enter Actuals for Resources with track mode set to none, you can only enter those times through the "Transaction Entry" Option. Or set those resources with "Clarity" track mode and make some one enter time manually for them.

This is true for version 8.1 and above (we were using 7.5.3 and now we are very sad on this new functionality :sad)

• 5.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 15, 2010 12:50 AM
    If there are a lot of actuals to add, you can try bringing in transactions in batches via XOG (i think the name of the xml sample file is imp_transactionwrite)

• 6.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 15, 2010 04:52 AM
    Hi,

thanks for replying - we have thought of this as a possible solution while waiting for support to get back to us. However the co-ordination of the sources of information, build times and the fact that our central team is quite small already, means that this would be difficult to implement and support.

Rafa - just for info. The bug fix that caused this was CLRT-31531 which was implemented in 12.0.3. We were on 8.1.0.2 and we could enter actuals so I don't know why CA are telling you this was stopped in 8.1 onwards.

We're hopfully going to get an update today so I'll keep you posted.

thanks.

Ken

• 7.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 19, 2010 08:51 AM
    Hello Ken

Do you have any additional info on this?... any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rafa

• 8.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 19, 2010 11:38 AM
      |   view attached
    Just wanted to see how it works I made a test with project and resource open for timeentry and the track mode set to none.
    The hours for a labor resource and money (euros) for an expense resource in OWB are stored as quantity in Clarity.
    There was no difference between
    8.1.0 no fp
    12.0. SP 5
    12.0. SP 6
    when the resource rates are in OWB. I did take a short cut: instead of running the rate matrix extraction with the scheduler option I entered the rates in OWB directly.

So what did I miss when I did not get a difference between the Clarity versions?

Martti K.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Entering_costs_in OWB.pdf   722 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 21, 2010 09:23 AM
    Hi Martti,

Sorry for any confusion but our problem is with Projects that are track mode Clarity with a resource of track mode None. Our projects use a combination of inhouse resources (track mode clarity) and external resources working for a sub company (track mode None - we get told their hours or told the cost if it's a material resource e.g. if the sub company is charging for servers, etc.)

So normal resources us timesheet to book hours and these are reflected in OWB and cannot be amended. For the sub company resources we get told what they have booked and the PM goes into OWB to book their hours/costs. This is the bit that has stopped working (we applied a fix that allows us to enter one set of actuals but once they've gone through the financial process, any updates then fail (fail to update the actuals that is, they do update the ETC !)

It was working on 8.1.02 and has now stopped on 12.0.6 (i believe it was stopped in 12.0.3 and this is confirmed by Rafa not working in 12.0.4).

Hope this explains the issue better.

Ken

• 10.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 21, 2010 09:08 AM
    hi Rafa,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We had a chat with CA yesterday. Unfortunately they didn't really tell us much other than it was an enhancement that stopped this working and they are therefore reluctant to pull it out.

There is a meeting going on later today with some engineers to decide whether it's possible to allow actuals to be entered via OWB or whether then will continue to block them (if that's the case CA are looking at what solutions they could offer to us to get around this problem).

We've asked for a "point" fix i.e. independant of other fixes, as this is urgent for us. However this still hasn't been agreed. This would probably be beneficial to you as the alternative was a generic hotfix release for 12.0.6 and you're not there yet, I believe.

Hopefully I'll be able to tell you later this week (early next week) where we stand.

Ken

• 11.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 21, 2010 09:22 AM
    Hello Ken

Nothing to be sorry for!!!, au contraire, I'm very thankful of your continuous updates!!!

Keep'em comming!

Regards

Rafa

• 12.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 22, 2010 06:33 AM
    Rafa,

latest update from CA support - unfortunatelty the meeting yesterday was a bit fruitless as their "expert" in america couldn't make the meeting.

We seem to be very relaint on this person (she initially told our contact that the fix was working fine and that she wouldn't consider making any changes) - Our CA contacts need to talk to her and convince her this is a requirement and to come up with a working solution.

We've escalated to our account manager now as we're really running out of time to get a fix in before year end and this would be unacceptable to our users.

Our next update is due Tuesday (assuming our CA people can talk to her on Monday afternoon) so I'll let you know how it goes.

Ken

• 13.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 22, 2010 11:37 AM
    Just wondering again....
    When testing in Clarity 8.1.0 the actuals entered in OWB were saved to Clarity if the track mode of the resources were None.
    The project track mode can be None or Clarity
    In Clarity 12.0.5.5350 the actuals are not saved
    In Clarity 12.0.6.5471 the are saved if the project track mode set to none.
    Would that be a work around
    - at some off peak time change the project track mode from Clarity to None
    - enter the actuals
    - save the project to Clarity
    - set the project track mode to Clarity for regular timeentry

Martti K.

P.S. There is a custom fix for 12.0.5.5350 for other purposes which just happens to allow saving actual from OWB to Clarity when the track move is set to none.

• 14.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 26, 2010 06:52 AM
    Morning Martti,

thanks for the update - you're workaround would be OK if the number of rpoejcts affected is small. Unfortunately we're talking about almost 100 projects. Co-ordinating a "free" time with all the PMs would be impossible (and also centrally, we don;t have a big team, so we'd be unable to complete the task in an acceptable timeframe).

Can you expand more on the custom fix in 12.0.5 - we went straight to 12.0.6 so have we missed this fix ? can we get it ? when you say track mode of None, presumably you mean the resources and not the project (as all of ours are Clarity) ?

any help appreciated as we haven't heard from CA yet - doesn't bode well.

Thanks

Ken

• 15.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Oct 26, 2010 04:32 PM
      |   view attached
    Sorry to say the project track mode had to be None, see the attachment.
    The Custom fix is 12.0.5_778996_01 and it is for a bug in the hierarchy.

Martti K.

Attachment(s)

• 16.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Nov 01, 2011 11:34 AM
    Hi,

After upgrade to Clarity12.1.1, we are also facing the same issue.
    In Clarity 8.1.1 we were able to enter actuals for resources via OWB for whom track mode was set to None against the Project whose track mode is set to Clarity.
    But after upgrade we have lost this functionality or as per CA they have fixed bug.
    So currently we are using workaround mentioned by Martti.
    But we cannot continue with it as there are more than 100 projects who are using Generic resources.

I will like to know how you are doing? You are also using the workaround proposed by Martti.

Has CA come back to one of you regarding any solution or patch for this.

Thanks & Regards,
    Abhijit

• 17.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 02, 2011 10:34 AM
    Hi,

just to conclude this thread - CA decided it was better to leave their bug fix in place.

We did get some time with one of their consultants but he came to the same conclusions as we did i.e. use transaction entry or build a custom solution.

We went with a custom solution (portlets, processes, jobs, etc) to aid our PMs.

I don't know about the maturity of your users - they may be suited to transaction entry. Ours weren't so we built something that made their job a lot easier (prefilling a lot of fields for them, etc).

I would suggest you speak to CA support and see if they can offer some consultancy for your specific requierments.

Sorry I can't provide a definitive answer.

Ken

• 18.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Nov 02, 2011 04:31 PM
    Just tried in
    v 12.1.2.1260 and
    v12.1.1.1208

in both cases entered actuals in OWB and saved the project to Clarity.
    The actuals as shown in Team Staff page went up.

Martti K.

• 19.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 04, 2013 08:37 AM
    Marti,

My company is having this problem and we are at v12.1.1208. Did you receive a bug fix separately?

Laura

• 20.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 04, 2013 10:46 AM
    I received the following from posting a ticket with CA Support. I will be trying this out on my development server and will post the results.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    With version 12.0.2 we implemented an erq which closed off entering actuals in owb when the resource trackmode is None, and the project trackmode is Clarity..

With 12.0.5 we re-opened the old way we handled actuals with OWB. This is a back door flag that can be set in the database.

For Oracle run the following:

First execute this on the database:

DECLARE
    P_OPTION_CODE VARCHAR2(2000) := 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST';
    P_OPTION_NAME VARCHAR2(2000) := 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST';
    P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION VARCHAR2(2000) := '';
    P_IS_SYSTEM NUMBER := 1;
    P_IS_ACTIVE NUMBER := 1;
    P_CREATED_BY NUMBER := 1; BEGIN
    NIKU.CMN_OPTIONS_INS_SP(P_OPTION_CODE, P_OPTION_NAME, P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION, P_IS_SYSTEM, P_IS_ACTIVE, P_CREATED_BY);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_OPTION_CODE: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_OPTION_CODE);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_OPTION_NAME: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_OPTION_NAME);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_IS_SYSTEM: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_IS_SYSTEM);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_IS_ACTIVE: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_IS_ACTIVE);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_CREATED_BY: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_CREATED_BY);
    END;
    GO

Then execute this (for P_VALUE, 0=new rule, 1 = old rule

DECLARE
    P_COMPONENT_CODE VARCHAR2(2000) := '';
    P_USER_NAME VARCHAR2(2000) := '';
    P_VALUE VARCHAR2(2000) := '1';
    NIKU.CMN_OPTION_VALUES_INS_SP(P_OPTION_CODE,
    P_COMPONENT_CODE, P_USER_NAME, P_VALUE, P_CREATED_BY);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_COMPONENT_CODE: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_COMPONENT_CODE);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_USER_NAME: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_USER_NAME);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_VALUE: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_VALUE);
    END;
    GO

Then run this to verify the value is 1:

SELECT v.VALUE FROM NIKU.CMN_OPTIONS o, NIKU.CMN_OPTION_VALUES v WHERE o.ID = v.OPTION_ID AND v.COMPONENT_ID IS NULL AND o.OPTION_CODE = 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST'

If you set it to 1 and want to set to 0 run this first, then run the two statements again:

DECLARE
    P_OPTION_CODE VARCHAR2(2000) := 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST'; BEGIN
    c1211fe.CMN_OPTIONS_DEL_SP(P_OPTION_CODE);
    END;
    GO

After running the above you should be able to launch the project with Trackmode=Clarity and enter actuals for resources with Trackmode=None.

• 21.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 04, 2013 12:54 PM
    That was a private fix received by the customer for who I was working at the time for a bug case they had opened.
    They did not enter actuals of any sort in OWB.

Please do post your results.

So you received the work around for Oracle only. Is there any for MS SQL?

Martti K.

• 22.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 05, 2013 07:00 AM
    She asked me if I was using Oracle or MS SQL. If the fix works I will ask her to share the fix for MS SQL. Does that sound ok to you?

Laura

• 23.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 06, 2013 11:59 AM
    Just applied the fix on our development system and it worked! We had to remove the GO commands i.e. not needed for Oracle just MS SQl.

Laura

• 24.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 06, 2013 02:10 PM
    Here is SQL code for fix:

First execute this (in Aqua)

DECLARE
    P_OPTION_NAME VARCHAR2(2000) := 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST';
    P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION VARCHAR2(2000) := '';
    P_IS_SYSTEM NUMBER := 1;
    P_IS_ACTIVE NUMBER := 1;
    NIKU.CMN_OPTIONS_INS_SP(P_OPTION_CODE, P_OPTION_NAME, P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION, P_IS_SYSTEM, P_IS_ACTIVE, P_CREATED_BY);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_OPTION_NAME: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_OPTION_NAME);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_OPTION_DESCRIPTION);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_IS_SYSTEM: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_IS_SYSTEM);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_IS_ACTIVE: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_IS_ACTIVE);
    END;
    GO

Then execute this (for P_VALUE, 0=new rule, 1 = old rule

DECLARE
    P_COMPONENT_CODE VARCHAR2(2000) := '';
    P_USER_NAME VARCHAR2(2000) := '';
    P_VALUE VARCHAR2(2000) := '1';
    NIKU.CMN_OPTION_VALUES_INS_SP(P_OPTION_CODE,
    P_COMPONENT_CODE, P_USER_NAME, P_VALUE, P_CREATED_BY);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_COMPONENT_CODE: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_COMPONENT_CODE);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_USER_NAME: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_USER_NAME);
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT('P_VALUE: ');
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(P_VALUE);
    END;
    GO

• 25.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 06, 2013 04:00 PM
    That SQL is for Oracle only.

Martti K.

• 26.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 07, 2013 11:00 AM
    I'm sorry ...I will check into that!

• 27.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 07, 2013 01:27 PM
    No like that, you have no reason to be sorry.
    You have share the information you have, thank you for that.

I should have indicated more clearly that because of the language differences there are likely to be different scripts for Oracle and MS SQL. I can't expect you to share or acquire something you don't have. ::*)

Martti K.

• 28.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 11, 2013 04:39 AM
    What is the exact version where you cannot save actuals from OWB to Clarity?
    I don't seem to be able to find such a version among my VM's.

In MS SQL
    DECLARE
    @P_OPTION_CODE NVARCHAR( 100 ),
    @P_COMPONENT_CODE NVARCHAR( 100 ),
    @P_USER_NAME NVARCHAR( 100 ),
    @P_VALUE NVARCHAR( 255 ),
    @P_CREATED_BY NUMERIC

BEGIN
    set @P_OPTION_CODE = 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST'
    set @P_COMPONENT_CODE = ''
    set @P_USER_NAME = ''
    set @P_VALUE = '1'
    set @P_CREATED_BY = 1
    EXEC NIKU.CMN_OPTION_VALUES_INS_SP P_OPTION_CODE, P_COMPONENT_CODE, P_USER_NAME, P_VALUE, P_CREATED_BY
    END

Give

Msg 8114, Level 16, State 1, Procedure CMN_OPTION_VALUES_INS_SP, Line 0
    Error converting data type nvarchar to numeric.

EXEC CMN_OPTIONS_INS_SP 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST2', 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST', '', 1, 1, 1
    will create the option and

EXEC CMN_OPTION_VALUES_INS_SP 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST', null, null, '1', 1
    will create the value.

Martti K.

• 29.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 11, 2013 08:53 AM
    I have version 12.1.1.1208.
    Laura

• 30.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 11, 2013 11:54 AM
    As posted above I don't have the problem with v12.1.1.1208
    I can save actuals from OWB to Clarity. That system does not have any private fixes.

Martti K.

• 31.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 11, 2013 02:08 PM
      |   view attached
    My company is having this problem and we are at v12.1.1208. Did you receive a bug fix separately?
    Laura

That must be something else.

I can save labor actuals created in OWB back to v12. Sandbox which is version 12.1.1.1208 (no furhter fixes) and does not have that option

Martti K.

• 32.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 12, 2013 01:56 PM
    Martti,

All appears just fine within OWB but when we save it back to the Clarity web interface the actuals become missing although the ETC gets decremented. I'll haven't logged into the 12 sandbox just 13 so I can't try it.

Laura

Below is the MSSQL the CA SE gave me to share.

MSSQL:

To enable option:
    exec cmn_option_values_del_sp 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST'
    exec cmn_options_del_sp 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST'
    exec cmn_options_ins_sp 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST','SCH_TRACKED_TEST','',1,1,1
    exec cmn_option_values_ins_sp 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST','','',0 -- 0 = use new rule. 1 = use old rule

-- verify setting
    SELECT v.VALUE FROM CMN_OPTIONS o, CMN_OPTION_VALUES v WHERE o.ID = v.OPTION_ID AND v.COMPONENT_ID IS NULL AND o.OPTION_CODE = 'SCH_TRACKED_TEST'

• 33.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 12, 2013 02:29 PM
      |   view attached
    That OWB screenshot was taken after saving into Clarity and reopening the project in OWB. The actuals were created in OWB.

The screenshot below is from Clarity.

What you got for MS SQL is basically the sae what I sued, the first two delete any old values and the two next create new.
    Thanks.

Martti K.

P.S. I've have before these problems that I cannot create know issues eg. described in KB articles.

• 34.  RE: Entering Actuals via OWB for None Track Mode resources

Posted Feb 13, 2013 09:27 AM
    Thank you Laura.
    You have done much more than just shared the solution to your problem.
    Sometimes I am just curious and want to see for myself.

Martti K.