Lauren_Valenti

CA Answer Bar Live for Clarity Q&A Log from today's session!

Discussion created by Lauren_Valenti Employee on Jun 13, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 by Chris_Hackett
Thank you for joining our chat session today! Join us again on Thursday, June 27th @ 1 PM EST!

Q: Has the engineering team every given thought to opening up the Admin Resource list view within Clarity and providing the Export to Excel feature to allow Clarity admin personnel more flexibility with extracting this information? Ties in with making this list view more admin user friendly.[color]A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: This looks like a new Enhancement request. Please would you log it into our page: https://caideation.secure.force.com/ideation/ideaList?c=09a30000000I8ZTAA0
A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: I will leave Product Manager to answer if this is something they are thinking of implementing
A: from Sean Harp to Everyone: In the meantime, you can write a quick NSQL portlet that pulls data from CMN_SEC_USERS to display this info in a format that can be exported for Admins.
A: from Kelly Limberg to Everyone: Also I’m sure you know, you could create a custom NSQL portlet that pulls the data you need. The EE2E could be done from that portlet.
A: from Customer to Everyone: Thanks Kelly. I will certainly promote this idea to our admin user team.
A: from Namita Mishra to Everyone: Export to Excel was not in list for Admin side Resources list

Q: We are having IE8 issues, for instance, when I open a project, I sometimes just get the ADD button in IE8 whereas in Firefox, I get ADD & RETURN. When this happens, I see "Errors on page" in IE8. Any ideas what might be causing this issue?
A: from Sayeed to Everyone: Hi, what version of Clarity are you running?
A: from Customer to Everyone: v13.1
A: from Sayeed to Everyone: Please create a support case for this.
A: from Customer to Everyone: We have one open with the support team, was curious to find out if there's any recent bug that you might have come across related to this issue?
A: from Sayeed to Everyone: With regards to IE8, do you happen to know the support case number?

Q: We upgraded from Clarity v12 to v13.1 . Since then the response time on manual cost plan refreshes (Populate from Assignments) went from 30 seconds on average to 5-15 minutes on average. Rate matrix size is the same. Cost plans are still Charge Code then Transaction Class. Is it possible that the new Financially-Enabled Roles is a contributor? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: Hi, there is a known defect with create cost plan frm assignment that matches your exact symptoms. However please could you raise a case about that with Support so we take a look at the SQL traces and confirm this is the exact defect you are encountering?
A: from Customer to Everyone: Can you please elaborate on that 'known defect'? Is there an ID# you can share? Is it around the roles? or just cost-plan centric?
A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: The defect number is CLRT-70474, and it's with a specfic SP called PPA_GETRATE_WITHROLE. Please share your email so I can send you all the details. Again, I cannot say with certainty this is the defect you are encountering without a SQL trace analyze.
A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: Defect details just sent by email
A: from Customer to Everyone: Got the email. Thx. Assuming our SQL Traces confirm this is the root-cause, is there a solution available? or is it still being worked on?
A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: This issue is still in Dev review, and still being worked on

Q: Is there a way we can add a current logged in users' - resource calendar as the menu item in v13's homepage?
A: from Nick Darlington to Everyone: If a resource has permissions to view their calendar, then this can be added to the menu by using the Add Current option under the Favorites menu; this would need to be done by each individual though, the page/address for each resource is different
A: from customer to Everyone: I agree but it's labor intensive to add for each user specifically when you have more than 5K users instead we were looking for an option where we can add the resource' calendar auto-magically so when they login, they can just click on it...ideas?

Q: What is your opinion on the use of the 'Allocation' concept in the user community. Has anyone been successful using this feature?
A: from Namita Mishra to Everyone: Can you elaborate on your question? What do you mean by Allocation being used by community?
A: from Jane George to Everyone: Allocation is a key metric in the Clarity system - many of the portltes are driven by the planned allocation.
A: from Customer to Everyone: In clarity you have allocation and assignment for resources. I am guessing that the Resource manager will manage the allocation and the project manager will assign resources accordingly. My question was around best practice
A: from Jane George to Everyone: It all depends on how you manage your resources - some customers only use allocation and they don't manage to the task level at all. Some customers don’t care about allocation and care about the actual work assignments. There is no right or wrong way to do it
A: from Shyam Beerakayala to Everyone: There are two ways of staffing team members, if it Direct Staffing, Project manager can add himself, other way is to use Requisitions, which the PM will request and Booking Manager will approve
A: from Customer to Everyone: We have been doing the assignments. We tried allocation but the concept was not accepted well.
A: from Jane George to Everyone: Many of the OOTB portlets can be re-configured to show assignment data instead of allocation data. They support both data points.
A: from Customer to Everyone: That is to say I like the distinction between allocation and assignments. I was just wondering if there was a successful implementation I could study.

Q: Thanks Jane about OOTB portlets, this brings another question. Why are custom portlets in NSQL so much faster than OOTB Portlets, like Resource Assignments and Unfilled Roles? That is, some of the portlets we run bog the system down to a crawl. Is it a good practice to try to replace them with NSQL portlets that provide the same data.
A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: Please can you confirm that the OOTB you are using and are crashing the system are having aggregation? There is a known issue with aggregation rows and portlets. Custom NSQL portlets may be faster due to many reasons, perhaps security. Also are your portlets showing the data automatically?
A: from Jane George to Everyone: It sounds like some suggestions are to turn off the aggregation rows and to set the Filter so that it does not filter automatically - is that correct?
A: from Customer to Everyone: OH, I didn't know that about aggregation. No, not automatically any more. I was thinking that the custom NSQL was faster because I was pulling a lot fewer database columns. A colleague thinks it has to do with the absence of in-line editing in custom NSQL
A: from Nika Hadzhikidi to Everyone: @Jane: yes this is correct
A: from Nick Darlington to Everyone: @ Customer, there are a few things that can change the speed of a non-SQL portlet, including if the portlet is taking into account Display Conditions or Subpage Security, items that an NSQL portlet typically wouldn't take into account. You could look at the setting/option of the portlets and views that describe 'Attribute Value Protection' to mitigate the impact of those, and allow all the data to be shown as it would be with a simpler NSQL
A: from Customer to Everyone: @Nick I am not sure I understand. So if we have a lot of subpages on an object all the security is checked? I am not aware of Attribute Value Protection I will look into it, Thanks!!
A: from Nick Darlington to Everyone: Specifically how the subpages are configured, not just the quantity of them, such as enabling Security (as a checkbox item) on the subpage properties or using heavy display conditions
A: from Roger Vaishville to Everyone: @ Customer. Nika is correct that aggregation can produce performance issues. There are many factors that can nibble at performance; including security implementation and even special studio configurations like display conditions.
A: from Customer to Everyone: I am glad I joined this meeting
A: from Roger Vaishville to Everyone: Generally speaking the OOTB data providers will only select columns that are needed
A: from Jane George to Everyone: @Customer, We're glad too!
A: from Kathryn Ellis to Everyone: Please check this KB article on answer bar TEC592946 Clarity: Poor Performance on Exporting data into Excel - Data only option for more than 300 rows. The functionality for viewing and exporting takes into consideration for the display conditions and secure subpages
A: from Customer 2 to Everyone: @ Customer 1 - be vary of "attribute value protection". I have not seen this turned off in nearly any implementation.
A: from Customer 1 to Everyone: We have a limited set of people who need to see certain portlets. I can manage the security at that level
A: from Customer 2 to Everyone: AVP is at object level, not for specific portlets
A: from Customer 1 to Everyone: @ Customer 2 - oh ok well it is worth looking at anyway in our dev environment
A: from Nick Darlington to Everyone: It's at (list) view/portlet level, look at the Options page of any of those. Also NSQL wouldn't take those into account either anyway
A: from Customer 1 to Everyone: But we create NSQL portlets for specific groups so security should not be a concern
A: from Customer 2 to Everyone: Right, Customer 1’s question was about Non-NSQL portlets
A: from Customer 1 to Everyone: Thanks Customer 2, yes to take a higher level approach to my questions we have a few portlets that can noticeably slow the system. My strategy has been to discourage the use of them and create custom portlets that provide only the data needed by the specific groups.
A: from Customer 2 to Everyone: @Customer 1, sure - one of those acts of balancing between OOB vs custom.
A: from Namita Mishra to Everyone: @ Customer 1 - IMO you should look for Nika's suggestion like aggregation before creating custom portlets for all OOTB portlets, that you feel are slow.
A: from Customer 1 to Everyone: @Namita so in line editing has nothing to do with performance?
A: from Shyam Beerakayala to Everyone: @Customer 1, inline editing comes into picture after the portlet brings the data in
A: from Namita Mishra to Everyone: @Customer 1: not heard inline editing being a reason for performance degradation
A: from Customer 1 to Everyone: ok thanks!
A: from Namita Mishra to Everyone: Mainly check for aggregation
A: from Customer 1 to Everyone: Will do!

Q: Will I be able to get a transcript of this meeting?
A: from Lauren Valenti to Everyone: Yes. There will be a Q&A Log available today. We will post on the message board.

Q: How often do these sessions occur?
A: from Lauren Valenti to Everyone: These sessions will occur every other Thursday at 1 PM EST for one hour. Our next session will be on Thursday, June 27th. Hope to talk to you then!

Attachments

Outcomes