DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  EPAgent for Performance Monitoring of U2 Universe Database?

Posted Jul 04, 2013 11:57 PM
    Hi Guys. I need some help from your end. I have this insurance agency customer here in Malaysia. They basically want us to monitor their universe DB. Have we done that before using EPAgent in Introscope? I understand that EPAgent is basically a perl script that can use to a odbc connection to UniverseDB and pull performance data (we can fully parse the performance data into XML). Am I moving along in the right direction? Would such instrumentation be supported by CA Support? Do you know if universe DB has its internal performance schema from where I can pull data? Last but not the least, please help me with epagent script for such instrumentation if you have any. Thanks for the help with this.

• 2.  RE: EPAgent for Performance Monitoring of U2 Universe Database?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 05, 2013 12:43 AM
    You can write your EPA plug-in in any OS-compatible language. We just happen to use Perl due to cross-platform compatibility.

The thing you must do is some research with the vendor on how they monitor for performance issues. Once you understand that, then you can begin to plan your plug-in.

The steps will be mostly likely the same as we do for the databases we support today:

[list][*]Create a read-only user to access the database system.
    [*]Put together a series of queries that will provide you the metrics you want.
    [*]Parse the results and return to STDOUT simple pairs or XML formatted data.[list]

You will probably need to create a plug-in which also pulls OS-level metrics.

-Hiko

• 3.  RE: EPAgent for Performance Monitoring of U2 Universe Database?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 05, 2013 06:00 PM
    This document is a bit old, but could be useful in your search: http://www.u2ug.net/learnerpack/articles/First%20Steps%20in%20UniVerse%20Administration.pdf