Hallett_German

CA Tuesday Tip: Component Timing Graphs 3 KB Articles

Discussion created by Hallett_German Employee on Aug 17, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 by mparikh
As I mentioned during this week's APM Global Community presentation, there is a major KB (Knowledgebase) content improvement effort in report. In future Tuesday Tips, I will include a review of the recent Knowledgebase articles created by support.

Until I created the following three KBs, the topic of component timing graphs were underdocumented. Happily, this is no longer the case.

[size=7]1. What do the Component Timing values mean in the CEM Export Tool? (TEC596036 )[size]

The Component Timing Values are unclear. What does this mean?

[login.do|06/01/2013
17:02:15|61|52|31049][/gmxx/site_files/loginjs|06/01/2013
17:02:20|9|9|14940][/gmxx/site_files/menupage.js.js|06/01/2013
17:02:21|6|6|7033]"

Answer: The values returned are the following:
(Name

Name - Component Name
Start Time - Start Time of the Transaction Request
TransactionTime(ms) - Transaction Time in Milliseconds
TimeToFirstResponse - Time to First Response
Size(Bytes) - Response Size in Bytes

To generate a component timing report, the following two conditions must be true:

The export-command-number must be for a defect related report. Currently these include these numbers: 10-14,36-44.
The -includecomptiminginfo export tool parameter is specified. It contains no other arguments and is optional.

[Author's comment: To figure this out, I had to spend some time going through the export tool Java code to figure out the values returned and the reports that it applied to. This question was asked in a case and another Engineer asked me to find out the answer. I want to thank Vijay from Support for being a rigorous reviewer on this]

[size=7]2. What does the Component Timings Area of a CEM Report show? (TEC596047 )
[size=7][size][size]

The APM component timing information consists of the following columns:

Name - the rows are the components associated with the transaction response. Typically the overall transaction component is first.

Time to First Response (ms) - the time of the transaction from the request's last packet to the response's first packet. A time of 5000 ms (5 seconds) or larger is typically of concern and is indicative of server or network issues.

Start Time - the time that the transaction is started to be received. The time is in the format YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss.ms

Transaction Time (ms) - the component's portion of the total transaction time from the start of the first request to the end of the last response. A time of 5000 ms (5 seconds) or larger is typically of concern and is indicative of web server issues.

Size in KB - the observed size of the component that was loaded in the web browser

Time Line (ms)- the barchart shows the entire lifecycle for one component. The barchart is separated into two parts - the time to first response and the response transfer time. A color key is shown

Other information

The bottom left hand corner of the chart lists the number of items found and links to other pages if there are many components.

Interpreting the Chart

Much interpretation of the chart is straight forward - it is easy to see which component is the slowest and the fastest. But interpreting other issues may not be as clear.

Here are three special cases:

Case 1: Time to First Response is almost as long as the Transaction Time

The first case is usually an indication that the application server or network is experiencing slowness. The defect detail information alone is not enough to determine the root cause of the slowness.

Case 2: Transaction Time is longer than the Time to First Response

The second case is an indication that the network or remote client is experiencing slowness. The defect detail information alone is not enough to determine the root cause of the slowness.

Case 3 Gaps between components

One popular question is why are there gaps between the component bar graphs
The gap is due to the operation of the HTTP protocol and HTML layout operations.

For example, if there are dynamic components that load after the prior components and then refer to additional components, a gap will exist. Other factors include:

The type of browser (which impacts layout speed, web standards supported, javascript engine, etc.)

Computer Speed. Certain computers will do everything within a paging file.

The speed of the web server response. (It may be impacted by proxy servers, load balancers, etc.)

[size=7]3. Why are there gaps in my component timing graphs? (TEC596052 )
[size]

[Author's note: This is probably the useful of the three. There are some helpful screenshots included in the KB. So please take the time to read.]

This is a subset of the previous KB -- TEC596047.
[Author's Note: This was the first of the three written. I wanted to get something out the door fast.]

Questions for discussions:
1. Will Tuesday Tips annotating recent KBs be helpful?
2. After reading this are there still unclear aspects of component timing reports?
3. What would you like to see a KB article on?

Outcomes