AnsweredAssumed Answered

Clarity restoration best practices

Question asked by twhite23 on Aug 22, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 by Suman Pramanik
Hi,

My organization is about to begin the process of restoring our development instance of clarity to match the production instance of clarity. I understand this is usually bad practice, but we have had issues with the development instance of clarity to the point where it does not function at all. We are hoping that this will resolve this issue, as well as create a test environment that is identical to production.

Additionally, we are going to install a separate instance of v13 on a VM so that we can prepare for a possible pilot of this version of Clarity.

From my understanding, there are several things that need to happen. I am not 100% familiar with how clarity is structured, and just want to know what exactly needs to happen during the process. I have provided a list of very broad steps below.
1. Coordinate with the appropriate resources to ensure that the environments meet requirements to run the associated instances of Clarity.
- I believe this is something that can be found in the installation manual. I assume based off the requirements, it would be up to me and my team to confirm.
2. Back up current data on both the production and development environments.
- This is the step I am not too sure about. We are not necessarily looking to import data at this time. For now we would just like to replicate the schema and configuration from to production instance, and make the development instance match it.
- What exactly should be backed up? Are there config files? Property files? It would be very helpful if someone could tell me what data needs to be backed up in order to achieve this restoration.
3. Begin restoration of the the instance in the development environment.
- We plan to do a fresh install of Clarity v12.1 in development.
- What needs to happen in order to get it to match up with the production instance of Clarity? I believe this might relate back to the type of files/information/data that is backed up in the previous step.
4. Move on to Clarity v13.2 installation in separate environment.

If you all have any best practices or suggestions on how we should go about performing this, it would be most helpful. I was not here for the initial installation of clarity, so all of this is new to me.

Thanks,

Tyra White

Outcomes