IT Process Automation

• 1.  Trouble with SOAP call from 3.1 to 4.1 authentication.

Posted Sep 26, 2013 01:11 PM
    I'm trying to build a flow that temporarily passes processes from our 3.1 environment over to our 4.1 environment during a transition period. I had hoped to use the ExecuteProcess method to start some processes and pass some parameters, but I'm experiencing an authentication error.

I'm about to authenticate from SOAPui, so I know the account, name, and password are correct and fully functional.

But the PAM 3.1 interface for constructing a SOAP call with authentication is blowing my mind.

I tried using the macro expansion method, but it didn't seem to work at all.

So I switched to expression and built my expression using dataset variables, like this...

[font=Courier New]Process.p_soapdata='<executeProcess xmlns="http://www.ca.com/itpam">';
    Process.p_soapdata+='<flow>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='<name>/flowlocation/myFlowName</name>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='<action>Start</action>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='<auth>';
    // Process.p_soapdata+='<user>'+Process.p_uid+'</user>';
    // Process.p_soapdata+='<password>'+Process.p_pw+'</password>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='</auth>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='<params>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='<param name="FAKEDPHONY">Kendall the Knight</param>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='</params>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='</flow>';
    Process.p_soapdata+='</executeProcess>';[font]

No matter what I try, I just get this response from the soap call.
    [color=#ff0000]SOAP-ENV:Client The specified user ID, password, or token is invalid. [color]

I'm certain that I'm poking the interface the wrong way, just not sticking stuff in the right places. Any guidance is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Trouble with SOAP call from 3.1 to 4.1 authentication.

Posted Sep 26, 2013 02:56 PM
    I've tried every combination of getting the password into the SOAP request that I can imagine.

This may be caused by a domain hop in the process. The calling orchestrator is in our production domain and it's calling a test orchestrator in a lower domain (which trusts production). This behavior works well from SoapUI in production, but fails in Process Automation.

• 3.  RE: Trouble with SOAP call from 3.1 to 4.1 authentication.

Posted Sep 27, 2013 05:39 PM
    Hey Rob,

I don't think this has anything to do with different domains and trusts. I'm guessing that your password is a variable of the password type. If so, you can't concatenate it like you are doing above. If you try to manipulate a password field (including concatenating it with another string), it will return a null. This is done on purpose to minimize plain text exposure of passwords.

I'll put together an example using macro replacement and post it here.

Thanks,
    Tom

• 4.  RE: Trouble with SOAP call from 3.1 to 4.1 authentication.

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:43 AM
    Thanks, that would be great. I tried using the macro replacement first, but had the same results. There's a good chance I just don't get that whole process.

• 5.  RE: Trouble with SOAP call from 3.1 to 4.1 authentication.

Posted Sep 30, 2013 11:56 AM
    Hi Tom,

I'm actually having a similar problem too. In my case, I'm not using a SOAP operator. PAM SOAP operators fail on http 202 responses (have a case opened for that). In the meantime, I'm using an HTTP Post operator as a workaround and building the SOAP request in the pre-exec code (code below).

My problem stems from the fact that I can't concatenate or work with PAM Password types.I'm trying to find a way to keep the password "hidden" but use it in a SOAP request. Any ideas?

// SOAP Template
    var soapBody = '<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" xmlns:par="http://schemas.hp.com/ucmdb/discovery/1/params" xmlns:typ="http://schemas.hp.com/ucmdb/1/types">'
    + "\n" + '<soap:Header/>'
    + "\n" + '<soap:Body>'
    + "\n" +
    '<par:updateCredentialsEntryRequest>'
    + "\n" +
    '<par:domainName>__DOMAIN__</par:domainName>'
    + "\n" +
    '<par:protocolName>wmiprotocol</par:protocolName>'
    + "\n" +
    '<par:credentialsEntryID>__CREDENTIAL_ID__</par:credentialsEntryID>'
    + "\n" +
    '<par:credentialsEntryParameters>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:intProps>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:intProp>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:name>protocol_index</typ:name>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:value>__PROTOCOL_INDEX__</typ:value>'
    + "\n" +

'</typ:intProp>'
    + "\n" +

'</typ:intProps>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:strProps>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:strProp>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:name>user_label</typ:name>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:value>__USER_LABEL__</typ:value>'
    + "\n" +

'</typ:strProp>'
    + "\n" +

+ "\n" +

'<typ:name>protocol_timeout</typ:name>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:value>__PROTOCOL_TIMEOUT__</typ:value>'
    + "\n" +

+ "\n" +

+ "\n" +

'<typ:name>protocol_netaddress</typ:name>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:value>__PROTOCOL_NETADDRESS__</typ:value>'
    + "\n" +

+ "\n" +

+ "\n" +

'<typ:name>protocol_username</typ:name>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:value>__PROTOCOL_USERNAME__</typ:value>'
    + "\n" +

+ "\n" +

+ "\n" +

'<typ:name>protocol_password</typ:name>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:value>__PROTOCOL_PASSWORD__</typ:value>'
    + "\n" +

+ "\n" +

+ "\n" +

'<typ:name>wmiprotocol_wmidomain</typ:name>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:value>__WMIPROTOCOL_WMIDOMAIN__</typ:value>'
    + "\n" +

+ "\n" +

'</typ:strProps>'
    + "\n" +
    '</par:credentialsEntryParameters>
    '
    + "\n" +
    '<par:CmdbContext>'
    + "\n" +

'<typ:callerApplication>CA Process Automation</typ:callerApplication>'
    + "\n" +
    '</par:CmdbContext>'
    + "\n" +
    '</par:updateCredentialsEntryRequest>'
    + "\n" + '</soap:Body>'
    + "\n" + '</soap:Envelope>'

// Replace Macros in template with values input by user
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__DOMAIN__/g, Operator.TargetCredential__.DomainName__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__CREDENTIAL_ID__/g, Operator.TargetCredential__.CredentialID__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__PROTOCOL_INDEX__/g, Operator.UpdateCredentialEntry__.ProtocolIndex__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__USER_LABEL__/g, Operator.UpdateCredentialEntry__.UserLabel__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__PROTOCOL_TIMEOUT__/g, Operator.UpdateCredentialEntry__.ProtocolTimeout__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__PROTOCOL_NETADDRESS__/g, Operator.UpdateCredentialEntry__.ProtocolNetAddress__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__PROTOCOL_USERNAME__/g, Operator.UpdateCredentialEntry__.ProtocolUsername__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__PROTOCOL_PASSWORD__/g, Operator.UpdateCredentialEntry__.ProtocolPassword__ );
    soapBody = soapBody.replace( /__WMIPROTOCOL_WMIDOMAIN__/g, Operator.UpdateCredentialEntry__.WMIProtocolWMIDomain__ );

// Assign SOAP Body to operator variable so it can be referenced
    Process[OpName].SOAPBody = soapBody;

• 6.  RE: Trouble with SOAP call from 3.1 to 4.1 authentication.
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 08, 2013 10:05 AM
      |   view attached
    With repeated attempts to get the Macro replacement method to work, I was finally successful. In my use case, I wanted to take an inbound SOAP call in 3.1 and pass it to 4.1 via a SOAP call. It was tricky because I wanted to pass any run time variables created by the SOAP call to the other process without hand-building the dataset.

So I wrote a little javascript to examine the dataset and remove all the system variables. Then, I examined the leftovers and converted them to string parameters for passage to the outbound web service call.

I've attached a simplified flow for those who have some interest. Standard non-liability clauses apply.

If it's helpful, I'm glad. Maybe you can send me a case of Lemon & Paeroa if you live in New Zealand.

Attachment(s)

xml
    SOAP_In_to_SOAP_Out.xml   75 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Trouble with SOAP call from 3.1 to 4.1 authentication.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 03:43 PM

rob.mccoy wrote:

With repeated attempts to get the Macro replacement method to work, I was finally successful. In my use case, I wanted to take an inbound SOAP call in 3.1 and pass it to 4.1 via a SOAP call. It was tricky because I wanted to pass any run time variables created by the SOAP call to the other process without hand-building the dataset.

So I wrote a little javascript to examine the dataset and remove all the system variables. Then, I examined the leftovers and converted them to string parameters for passage to the outbound web service call.

I've attached a simplified flow for those who have some interest. Standard non-liability clauses apply.

If it's helpful, I'm glad. Maybe you can send me a case of Lemon & Paeroa if you live in New Zealand.
    Hey Rob, I got caught up in some work and you beat me to the solution!

Nice work. I'll look into that L&P for you :)