AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  CA Tuesday Tip: (CA 7) GOOD IDEA!  again

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:37 AM
    Well, that was ugly--hopefully this communication will be formatted correctly!

Hello, All,
    Back in August, I started this series of Tuesday's Tips about CA 7 panel input, starting with the CA 7 CPU JOB DEFINITION (DB.1) screen. Last week I continued on to the DB.2 screen and had a reply sent to me. I was very pleased to see that someone was reading the posts (I'm not talking to a void, yah!). In the correspondence, my 'reader' ask me to include batch type input to these screens as most of her updates were in batch. What a great request--really constructive! So in order to be 'agile' (and I TOTALLY agree), I am interrupting the schedule screen information to 'finish' the DB.1 screen--with the BTI (or CCI) input format to accomplish entering of data in batch rather than only online.

During the install or upgrade of CA 7, members are written to JCLLIB--some of which are used in testing the upgrade. One member within this library, N220DECK contains BTI input for deleting and adding data to the CA 7 database. You can also run DataBase Transportability (see the CA 7 Database Maintenance Guide for documentation on DBT) to produce BTI input after the process is complete. This part of the Tuesday Tip series is designed to give a bit more information and some 'tips and tricks' where applicable. The following is BTI type input with the explanation of what is accomplished:

Accessing the DB.1 screen and doing a PURGE type function from that screen to delete the specified job (JOBA):
    [font=Courier New]JOB
    PURGE,JOBA[font]

Adding a job (JOBA) with other inputs on the DB.1 screen:
    [font=Courier New]JOB
    ADD,JOBA,SYSTEM=MYSYSTEM,,JCLID=200,JOBNET=MYJNET,RELOAD=X[font]

Updating an existing job (JOBA) on the DB.1 screen:
    [font=Courier New]JOB
    UPD,JOBA,ARFSET=MYARF,CONDCODE=8,RO=LE[font]

Updating an existing job (JOBA) to remove a value (blank it out) on the DB.1 screen (note that the BTI input cannot end with blanks, therefore the 'blanked' out input has to have another field update after it--in this case I know the job should be executable so I use EXEC=Y:
    [font=Courier New]JOB
    UPD,JOBA,ARFSET= ,EXEC=Y[font]

Once, again, thanks for the input, kind reader--to all, please feel free to let me know your thought on the series.

See ya next Tuesday!
    Marysue

• 2.  RE: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA 7) GOOD IDEA!  again

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:50 AM
    With this post I wanted to make sure you knew that "I" have been reading and waiting for the next installment every week. Even with how long I have been working with CA7, I have learned a couple of things I either didn't know or had forgot AND it has gotten me to reread a few things in the manuals that come up in my mind when I ingest something that I seem to have forgotten. I haven't been replying much because I have been using your posts to do some maintance that I should have done long time ago but forgot until I read something you wrote and it reminded me.

I love your tuesdays tips.

thanks for taking the time.

renate

• 3.  RE: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA 7) GOOD IDEA!  again

Posted Oct 22, 2013 11:53 AM
    I've been reading your posts and looking forward to the next installment too. I also foward them to the rest of my co-workers and let them know I am available for any questions. I think the batch type input will be valuable as well. Thank you.

• 4.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA 7) GOOD IDEA!  again

Posted Oct 19, 2017 11:36 AM

I think your posts are awesome. I just opned this account to receive information such as they type you present. Thank you, and please don't stop posting.

• 5.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA 7) GOOD IDEA!  again

Posted Oct 20, 2017 11:06 AM

Thank you @MarySue for taking time to do the Tuesday Tip, I love the venue...  I too love the batch BTI process although would like to pass along if that is the direction you choose to follow, please make sure that you review the output.  Just because the batch BTI job received a return code of zero, does not necessarily mean that all input was successfully processed.  You have to review the output to make sure, and maybe include a validation step in your BTI process to show evidence that what you wanted now actually was updated.

Good luck everyone and thanks again.  I look forward to the future Tuesday Tips.

Phon

• 6.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA 7) GOOD IDEA!  again

Posted Nov 08, 2017 02:13 PM

Great stuff MarySue, thank you!!
    I am looking forward to upcoming posts

Thank you

James