Clarity

• 1.  Mass Investment role change

Posted Oct 23, 2013 11:28 PM
    Is there a way we can do a mass change the investment role?
    To detail more - I have ~150 projects with approx 20 allocations on each project. I want to change the investment role of each of these allocations to a single role. The primary role of all these resources are set to a single role using XOG but as you know the primary role has nothing to do with the investment role.
    Manually setting for ~3000 allocations would be crazy so is there a way we can use XOG or some other setting to change all the existing allocations for these 150 projects to have a single investment role?

Thanks,
    JS

• 2.  RE: Mass Investment role change

Posted Oct 24, 2013 12:40 AM
    Have you checked this ?

NJ

• 3.  RE: Mass Investment role change

Posted Oct 24, 2013 02:42 AM
    Hi NJ,
    Thanks for sharing the very apt link in view of the requirement I have.
    In that thread, I see 2 options - one is to XOG out the project and manualy update the roles and xog back. but manually updating so many roles and xogging back is almost the same effort as changing them manually in team details. Second, is the DB update which is the easiest but I am a lil hesitant to use that as it might cause issues which CA wont support.
    Can I ask you all to suggest me a better approach if we have one?

Thanks,
    JS

• 4.  RE: Mass Investment role change

Posted Oct 24, 2013 04:08 AM

j_here wrote:

..one is to XOG out the project and manualy update the roles and xog back. but manually updating so many roles and xogging back is almost the same effort as changing them manually in team details...
    I disagree. You can XOG out all the projects & allocations in one XOG call, update the XML file in a text editor ("Replace All") and XOG all the projects/allocations back in.

You might choose to do it one project at a time and manually edit XML files but that is your choice! :huh:

--

Updating in the application GUI, through the API (XOG) or direct database SQL are your only options (and only the first 2 are "supported")

• 5.  RE: Mass Investment role change

Posted Oct 24, 2013 03:22 PM
    Hello JS

A couple other optons -
    1. Write a process which will xog out a project, changes the role and xog's it back in. Automated and should work fine. Just run it off hours or with small selection. (Preferred approach).
    2. Write a process to read the resource's primary role and update it to the team using SQL Update. Works fine and doesn't break anything. I know this is a CA unsupported approach but works fine.

Atul