Clarity

• 1.  Right to manage own resource

Posted Oct 24, 2013 04:18 AM
    Hey there

We have set up a custom attribute on the resource for additional settings used in the functionality of some custom portlets.

The NSQL for the query finds the ID of the user, gets the settings, then shows the relevant rows. All works great.

We'd like to be able to let users manage their own values on these fields, but we don't want to let users manage the values of other users.

From looking I couldn't see a "manage own resource" like right - just view and edit all resources.

And I'd rather not go down the instance rights route unless there's no other way.

Any suggestions?

Richard

• 2.  RE: Right to manage own resource

Posted Oct 24, 2013 06:01 AM
    I don't think that there is another way. :unsure:

The "Resource - Self (Auto)" right that all resources get doesn't include "Edit" on the resource itself - you could perhaps customise that Auto-right somehow but I am unsure if that even works and would be a customisation anyway (unsupported / go via CA Support / nasty technically to develop etc).

Lots of Instance rights are only painful to create via the GUI - it is not too complicated to build a script (GEL probably) which generates XML to grant those instance-to-instance rights across all your resources who don't already have that right and then run that script regularly (the first time you run it then it will process lots of resources, subsequent times only "new" resources).