Clarity

• 1.  XOG task dependencies without task has not TaskID

Posted Nov 12, 2013 01:19 PM

[edited]

Some projects have tasks with and others without "taskID"; called ID in task object and field PREXTERNALID in PRTASK table.

And  I am seeing that after XOGout a project,  XML contains those dependencies between tasks with TaskID but there is not information about dependencies between those tasks without taskID.

example of dependencies tags:

<Task  internalTaskID="******" key="false" lockedForScheduling="false" milestone="false" name="task2" nextSiblingOf="T01983"
              openForTimeEntry="true" orderID="2" outlineLevel="1" percComp="0"  status="0" summary="false" taskID="T01985"....>....

</Task>

<Dependencies>
            <Dependency lag="0" lag-type="days" predProjectID="proj1" predTaskID="T01983" succProjectID="proj1" succTaskID="T01985" type="finish-start"/>
            <Dependency lag="0" lag-type="days" predProjectID="proj1" predTaskID="T01985" succProjectID="proj1" succTaskID="T01987" type="finish-start"/>
        </Dependencies>

So, if I Xog-IN the previous extracted xml file  as a new project or over a void project, I will lose dependencies between some tasks .

Furthermore, "ID" is not a mandatory field; though it can be autonumeric(but it only affect to new tasks from Clarity web), in fact tasks created from MSP doesn't contains value for this attribute. So I understand that dependencies should be managed by the field "PRTASK.PRID" which is internal, mandatory and unique.

How can I xog-out a project with all the task dependencies?

Is it possible to xog-out a project with task dependencies based in "PRID"?

How recommendable is to configure  "ID" as an autonumeric? I am aware of problems using this field as unique when you copy/paste task in MSP or in Clarity with copy from template ;if you copy a task more than once.

thanks

• 2.  RE: XOG task dependencies without task has not TaskID

Posted Nov 18, 2013 03:20 PM
    daniperez:

Some projects have tasks with and others without "taskID".

And  I am seeing that after XOGout a project,  XML contains those dependencies between tasks with TaskID but there is not information about dependencies between those tasks without taskID.

<Task  internalTaskID="******" key="false" lockedForScheduling="false" milestone="false" name="task2" nextSiblingOf="T01983"
              openForTimeEntry="true" orderID="2" outlineLevel="1" percComp="0"  status="0" summary="false" taskID="T01985"....>....

</Task>

<Dependencies>
            <Dependency lag="0" lag-type="days" predProjectID="proj1" predTaskID="T01983" succProjectID="proj1" succTaskID="T01985" type="finish-start"/>
            <Dependency lag="0" lag-type="days" predProjectID="proj1" predTaskID="T01985" succProjectID="proj1" succTaskID="T01987" type="finish-start"/>
        </Dependencies>

So, if I delete all the tasks of one project and I xog-IN the XML, I lost dependencies between some tasks

"TaskID" is not a mandatory field and in fact tasks created from MSP doesn't contains value for this attribute. So I understand that dependencies should be managed by the field "internalTaskID" which is internal, mandatory and unique.

How can I xog-out a project with all the task dependencies?

How recommendable is to configure  "TaskID" as an autonumeric/required? I am aware of problems using this field as unique when you copy/paste task in MSP or in Clarity with copy from template ;if you copy a task more than once.

thanks

Hi All,

Any ideas here for this one?

Thanks,

Chris

• 3.  RE: XOG task dependencies without task has not TaskID

Posted Nov 18, 2013 07:32 PM

I believe that even if you configure the TaskID as an autonumeric and required field the MSP plugin will not set a ID for the tasks once it`s loaded in Clarity. This means that your problem would still continue to happen.

I was always told to use the MSP plugin rather than XOG when migrating tasks. Is it possible to do what you want to do using the MSP plugin? If so, I would recommend using that.

You can always update the task ids straight in the database (prtask table) and then try to use XOG to do what you want. Just make sure the task ID is not used as a foreign key with other tables from the model before doing that (I really believe it`s not but please check it first).

• 4.  RE: XOG task dependencies without task has not TaskID

Posted Dec 05, 2013 07:20 AM
      |   view attached
    voliveira:

I believe that even if you configure the TaskID as an autonumeric and required field the MSP plugin will not set a ID for the tasks once it`s loaded in Clarity. This means that your problem would still continue to happen.

I was always told to use the MSP plugin rather than XOG when migrating tasks. Is it possible to do what you want to do using the MSP plugin? If so, I would recommend using that.

You can always update the task ids straight in the database (prtask table) and then try to use XOG to do what you want. Just make sure the task ID is not used as a foreign key with other tables from the model before doing that (I really believe it`s not but please check it first).

At the moment I don't need  to migrate tasks or projects with XOG but maybe in future it could be required.

In fact I am interested in remove "ID" from all task in templates because a resource could copy/paste the same task to a same project more than once and I would like to avoid:

-MSP: errors due duplicated ID (see image)

-Clarity: (no error message) duplicated task will not be copied.

Since it is on demand, it is not possible update the task ids straight in the database

The point is that internally Clarity is not using ID/PREXTERNALID for Task dependencies relations in database, but "PRTASK.PRID". So I don't  understand the reason for be required in XOG.