Symantec Access Management

• 1.  CA Wily Tools for Siteminder - Performance and Historical Monitoring

Posted Dec 22, 2013 11:44 PM
      |   view attached

Hello All,

While on flight back from visiting clients, I was able to engage in a lengthy discussion of the benefits of CA APM and CA Wily tools for SiteMinder with a "captured" APM architect.

The benefits were powerful, but from a client/service vewpoint of effort for deployment for long-term or short term usage, was a question that I wanted to dive into deeper.

I wanted to explore how reasonable it was for a non-APM resource to deploy the function/feature set of CA APM/CA Wily tools for SM to assist with provided an addtional option to help resolve any performance or unknown root cause issue with CA SiteMinder; as well as understand the complete value the solution brings.   If you are aware of CA SM One-View; you can think of CA Wily as it's big brother with a large family (CA APM).    

I have updated an existing deck that outlines the "what" and "why" with a lab example of "how".

I used one image with both CA SMPS and CAWA with Apache.   This is not a typically deployment, but it is simplictic to setup for client training and/or development.

I have also enclosed notes with the architecture deployed used, any knowlege challenges and how they were addressed, as well as creating a sample startup script for all four (4) processes of CA Wily and it's CA APM centralized EM server.

Cheers

• 2.  RE: CA Wily Tools for Siteminder - Performance and Historical Monitoring

Posted Dec 23, 2013 01:13 PM
    alan_baugher:

Hello All,

While on flight back from visiting clients, I was able to engage in a lengthy discussion of the benefits of CA APM and CA Wily tools for SiteMinder with a "captured" APM architect.

The benefits were powerful, but from a client/service vewpoint of effort for deployment for long-term or short term usage, was a question that I wanted to dive into deeper.

I wanted to explore how reasonable it was for a non-APM resource to deploy the function/feature set of CA APM/CA Wily tools for SM to assist with provided an addtional option to help resolve any performance or unknown root cause issue with CA SiteMinder; as well as understand the complete value the solution brings.   If you are aware of CA SM One-View; you can think of CA Wily as it's big brother with a large family (CA APM).    

I have updated an existing deck that outlines the "what" and "why" with a lab example of "how".

I used one image with both CA SMPS and CAWA with Apache.   This is not a typically deployment, but it is simplictic to setup for client training and/or development.

I have also enclosed notes with the architecture deployed used, any knowlege challenges and how they were addressed, as well as creating a sample startup script for all four (4) processes of CA Wily and it's CA APM centralized EM server.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing this with the community Alan!

• 3.  RE: CA Wily Tools for Siteminder - Performance and Historical Monitoring

Posted Dec 24, 2013 11:25 AM

nice.   page 19 & 20 contains good reference information as well as 33 - 38.   the solution for pg 45 is mentioned in pg 61.

couple comments/question for Alan (if he's monitoring this room). 

1.  for the 6 scenarios starting from pg 10 - 16, if you can provide a screen shot for each scenario, so the reader could understand where to look, that would be great.

2.  On pg 41, that screen capture show a policy server cache for AZ.  my setup doesn't show this info.  i checked my Introscope setup for SM PS 12 SP3 CR7 running SMM 10.0.3 reporting to Introscope MOM 9.5.1, as well as SM 12.51 running 10.0.4 reporting to Introscope MOM 9.5.1

Thanks for sharing

T.

• 4.  RE: CA Wily Tools for Siteminder - Performance and Historical Monitoring

Posted Jan 07, 2014 11:43 AM
    Hi Tlefam,

Thanks for the great feedback.  I will execute the use-case and grab the screenshot for the suggestions.
    As for the policy store cache, I haven't seen the prior versions, so it may be an updated feature.    

tlefam:

nice.   page 19 & 20 contains good reference information as well as 33 - 38.   the solution for pg 45 is mentioned in pg 61.

couple comments/question for Alan (if he's monitoring this room). 

1.  for the 6 scenarios starting from pg 10 - 16, if you can provide a screen shot for each scenario, so the reader could understand where to look, that would be great.

2.  On pg 41, that screen capture show a policy server cache for AZ.  my setup doesn't show this info.  i checked my Introscope setup for SM PS 12 SP3 CR7 running SMM 10.0.3 reporting to Introscope MOM 9.5.1, as well as SM 12.51 running 10.0.4 reporting to Introscope MOM 9.5.1

Thanks for sharing

T.

• 5.  Re: CA Wily Tools for Siteminder - Performance and Historical Monitoring

Posted Sep 02, 2014 12:59 PM

That document is very nice !!

• 6.  Re: CA Wily Tools for Siteminder - Performance and Historical Monitoring

Posted Sep 02, 2014 09:40 PM

This is an excellent guide Allan, thanks for sharing.

• 7.  Re: CA Wily Tools for Siteminder - Performance and Historical Monitoring

Posted Sep 29, 2014 11:30 AM

Thanks Anand / Ujwol!  Appreciate it.