Clarity

• 1.  Upload actuals from Excel to Clarity

Posted Oct 25, 2010 12:35 PM
    Hello,

I have a requirement to enhance Clarity's means of adding actuals for resources on a project. My customer wants me to implement an Excel interface allowing for updates to the actuals visible on the Project Team Details page to be performed locally on the client system, in Excel, then uploaded to Clarity.

Has anyone successfully done this?

I am aware of the capabilities offered by Open Workbench and Microsoft Project, but my customer does not want to use either of these solutions.

Please do not bother to reply with flames telling me that I should not perform this work, or that it is wrong to do so. I do not have a choice.

• 2.  RE: Upload actuals from Excel to Clarity

Posted Oct 25, 2010 02:46 PM
    Is that something you could accomplish with Offline timesheets?

The interfacing with Clarity is normally done with XOG or SOAP client or WSDL. For those it would help you took the data entered into Excel and turned it into the format of the imp_transaction_write.xml with a suitable method. Then you could you use that as the input for XOGing or a custom java job. That would bring in financial data, but also hours. When the data is in Clarity your would run the transaction import job to get the data into assignments.

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: Upload actuals from Excel to Clarity

Posted Oct 26, 2010 11:13 AM
    Hi Martti,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've taken a look at the file, imp_transactions_write.xml. It appears to me that these transaction records have no resource association. For example, I need to be able to upload the equivalent of the Project Team Details page, such as John Smith being allocated for 1.0 FTE for the months of Nov10, Dec10, Jan11. I do not see a way to identify the resource, via "five million number" ID or name. Are the transaction nodes in the file, imp_transactions_write.xml able to be associated with a resource's work on a project?

thanks,

Mike

another_martink wrote:

Is that something you could accomplish with Offline timesheets?

The interfacing with Clarity is normally done with XOG or SOAP client or WSDL. For those it would help you took the data entered into Excel and turned it into the format of the imp_transaction_write.xml with a suitable method. Then you could you use that as the input for XOGing or a custom java job. That would bring in financial data, but also hours. When the data is in Clarity your would run the transaction import job to get the data into assignments.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: Upload actuals from Excel to Clarity

Posted Oct 26, 2010 03:55 PM
    This is my imp_transactions_write

<
    Transaction
    actualCostRate="0"
    billRate="0"
    chargeable="1"
    clientID="NikuUK"
    chargeCode="LCOCD1"
    externalID="L-RESCODE_UK1-PROJ_UK_CNT_GBP-37289-8"
    importStatus="N"
    projectID="TESTPROJ"
    resourceID="admin"
    transactionDate="2002-02-12"
    transactionType="L"
    units="11"
    taskID="5017601"
    inputTypeCode="SALES"
    groupId="123"
    voucherNumber="ABCVDD"
    transactionClass="ABCD"/>

I see project ID, resource ID, task ID date, number of unit, bill and cost rates.

Martti K.

• 5.  RE: Upload actuals from Excel to Clarity
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2011 06:56 AM
    By using Visual Studio Tools for Office, Visual Basic.NET, the SOAP web services available via the Clarity XOG interface, and custom Data Source queries, we are able to download the contents of Project Team Details page, and upload Resource allocations directly from Excel.

• 6.  RE: Upload actuals from Excel to Clarity

Posted Aug 12, 2011 10:06 AM
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like a big effort.
    Reading out in a specific format requiring only small editing is not a problem. See

Writing back is more difficult if you want to write something for which there is no xml file format available.

As far as Excel integration goes Federico has a great infterface.
    http://itroisolutions.com/integration_bridge.html
    http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vwolymgab&et=1106842398887&s=194&e=0015XLkUbZp_jajUeO5QxBLyd324ClLz1kzf-ykgmdQMmsaUw0gFHjmhqgL3t1s-Z39hrO6tj1qd2q3dfeabmkR2-jk6SRjoTsKZWj5rPq37PRqqtKVoWK4BP93KNjwNOUbq0AgNZ4jnqnsTsbUYEtSZQ==

Martti K.

• 7.  RE: Upload actuals from Excel to Clarity

Posted Mar 04, 2013 02:07 AM

mphelan wrote:

By using Visual Studio Tools for Office, Visual Basic.NET, the SOAP web services available via the Clarity XOG interface, and custom Data Source queries, we are able to download the contents of Project Team Details page, and upload Resource allocations directly from Excel.Hello,
    Hello,

We also have the similar kind of requirement for the clarity.
    Can you please, explain us how these tools are used together to extract project data and uploaded again the allocati details from excel.

Thanks,
    Pragay