Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

• 1.  Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

Posted Jan 06, 2014 05:29 PM

We have recently implemented Sharepoint at our company and have discussed using it for our document management.

Is it possible to export all of the documents under each project collaboration tab and load it onto Sharepoint?  Is it possible to XOG it out or maybe get a copy of those documents from the server or DB and place it into Sharepoint? What options do we have?  We strore all of our project documents within several other folders under the project's document manager.

We don't want to use a connector or any type of add-in that would just link the documents from Clarity or cost additional money. This would be a one time export. It doesn't have to be pretty, but maybe somehow sorted in folders by project ID and project title(if possible) that can be searched for if needed (ie. audit purposes, lessons learned).

We are using v13.0 On Demand.  I've done a little bit of XOGing in the past. I'm not familiar with Sharepoint but we do have resources that are.

Thanks for any input and advice,

Garrett

• 2.  RE: Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

Posted Jan 06, 2014 11:31 PM

Hello Garret,

You can xog out the documents by project, object or folder depending on the xog you use and manually rename them. Once you return the extension this can be opened still it is a lot of work depending on the size of your filestore.

In my company we normally work a lot with clarity/sharepoint related developments and integrations. Feel free to contact me, and we can discuss other options

• 3.  RE: Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

Posted Jan 07, 2014 02:26 PM

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the reply.  Is it possible to XOG out multiple documents from more than one project or does it need to be done one project at a time?  We have about 2000 projects.

What's the best way to contact you? I can't find a way through this forum.

Thanks,

Garrett

• 4.  Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Export Collaboration documents to b

Posted Jan 07, 2014 02:32 PM
    Are they collaboration files only or do any custom attributes configured as attachments exist?
    Regards,
    Luis Palacios

Sent from mobile device

CA Clarity Global User CommunityMessage Boards <CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com> wrote:

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to XOG out multiple documents from more than one project or does it need to be done one project at a time? We have about 2000 projects.

What's the best way to contact you? I can't find a way through this forum.

Thanks,

Garrett

Posted by:gsteudle
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.2277340.107164728@myca-email.ca.com
    https://communities.ca.com

• 5.  RE: Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Export Collaboration documents

Posted Jan 07, 2014 03:21 PM

They are collaboration files only.

• 6.  RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion]

Posted Jan 07, 2014 03:24 PM
    You can use the filestore xog, and point it to the projects path, the problem will be renaming all files ☺, you can match the numeric file name against the database filename and do a batch script or similar
    Regards,

LUIS E. PALACIOS
    IT-ROI Solutions (Services Architect)

From: CA Clarity Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:21 PM
    To: mb_message.2277340.107168444@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Export Collaboration documents

They are collaboration files only.

Posted by:gsteudle
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.2277340.107168444@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.2277340.107168444@myca-email.ca.com>
    https://communities.ca.com

• 7.  RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion]

Posted Jan 08, 2014 02:29 PM

Luis,

You went a little over my head with this response. A couple clarifying questions for you:

1. What/where is the filestore xog?

2. How do I get the numeric file name and the database filename?

Thanks,

Garrett

• 8.  RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE:

Posted Jan 08, 2014 03:52 PM
    Garrett,
    Please see xml below, the issue when xogging out files is that they are named based on a numerical convention composed of several ids, that is the hard part. You would need to rename all of them:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <NikuDataBus xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/nikuxog_read.xsd">
    <Header version="7.5" action="read" objectType="document" externalSource="NIKU">
    <args name="documentLocation" value="E:\niku\8.1\build/xog/test/documentXogLocation" />
    </Header>
    <DocumentQuery>
    <!--Filter name="parentObjectID" criteria="EQUALS">1010</Filter>
    <Filter name="parentObjectType" criteria="EQUALS">KS</Filter-->
    <Filter name="folderName" criteria="EQUALS">specs</Filter>
    <Filter name="folderPath" criteria="EQUALS">/Root/DMS/KS</Filter>
    </DocumentQuery>
    </NikuDataBus>

Luis Palacios

• 9.  RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE:

Posted Jan 09, 2014 10:23 AM

Thanks Luis.

I'm going to run a small test.  I'll let you know how it goes and if I have any further questions.

Garrett

• 10.  RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion]

Posted Jan 09, 2014 10:41 AM
    gsteudle:

2. How do I get the numeric file name and the database filename?

Some detail is in ths "tip" I think;

CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Attachment Attribute

• 11.  RE: [CA Clarity General Discussion] RE: Re: [CA Clarity General Discussion]

Posted Jan 09, 2014 10:56 AM

Thanks Dave!  I'll check it out.

Garrett

• 12.  RE: Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

Posted Jan 13, 2014 12:20 PM

Here was my first try at XOGing out a document.  I wanted to Location oto be a folder on my hard drive.  I wasn't sure what the folder path should be and how to know what it is so I commented it out.  (Dave, I'm guessing that's the link you provided on how to get the path on the filestore. I just wasn't sure how to run the query.)  My XOG result was successful except the documents were not on my hard drive.

Any advice?

Here my XOG Read:

<NikuDataBus xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/nikuxog_read.xsd">
      <Header version="7.5" action="read" objectType="document" externalSource="NIKU">
        <args name="documentLocation" value="D:\Documents and Settings\garrett.steudle\My Documents\Clarity\XOG\XOG out documents" />
      </Header>
      <DocumentQuery>
        <Filter name="parentObjectID" criteria="EQUALS">5050069</Filter>
        <Filter name="parentObjectType" criteria="EQUALS">Projects</Filter>
        <Filter name="folderName" criteria="EQUALS">Project Management</Filter>
        <!--Filter name="folderPath" criteria="EQUALS">/Root/DMS/KS</Filter-->
      </DocumentQuery>
    </NikuDataBus>

• 13.  RE: Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

Posted Jan 13, 2014 12:23 PM

Here's the result:

<NikuDataBus xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/nikuxog_document.xsd">
      <Header action="write" externalSource="NIKU" objectType="document" version="13.0.1.0102"/>
      <Documents>
        <Parent documentLocation="D:\Documents and Settings\garrett.steudle\My Documents\Clarity\XOG\XOG out documents" parentObjectId="5050069" parentObjectType="Projects">
          <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Project Management">
            <Document allowNonParticipants="1" fileCreatedDate="2009-09-24T00:00:00" hasAllParticipants="1" language="en"
              name="Business Case Template.doc" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
              <Version id="5064401" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
            </Document>
            <Document allowNonParticipants="1" fileCreatedDate="2009-09-24T00:00:00" hasAllParticipants="1" language="en"
              name="Project Management Plan Template.doc" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
              <Version id="5064451" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
            </Document>
            <Document allowNonParticipants="1" fileCreatedDate="2009-10-29T00:00:00" hasAllParticipants="1" language="en"
              name="FINAL CODE REVIEW CHECKLIST.xls" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
              <Version id="5064501" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
            </Document>
            <Document allowNonParticipants="1" fileCreatedDate="2009-10-29T00:00:00" hasAllParticipants="1" language="en"
              name="PEER CODE REVIEW CHECKLIST.doc" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
              <Version id="5064551" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
            </Document>
          </Folder>
          <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Specifications">
            <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Design"/>
            <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Requirements">
                name="Scope Document Template.doc" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
                <Version id="5064601" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
              </Document>
                name="Security Checklist Template.xls" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
                <Version id="5064651" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
              </Document>
                name="Functional Requirements Document Template.doc" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
                <Version id="5064701" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
              </Document>
            </Folder>
          </Folder>
          <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Testing">
            <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Test Approval"/>
            <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Test Results">
                name="Defect Tracking Log Template.xls" numCheckoutDays="1" owner="Garrett.Steudle" status="0" versioningEnabled="1">
                <Version id="5064751" owner="Garrett.Steudle" versionNumber="1"/>
              </Document>
            </Folder>
            <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Test Plan"/>
          </Folder>
          <Folder allowNonParticipants="1" hasAllParticipants="1" name="Documentation and Training"/>
        </Parent>
      </Documents>
      <XOGOutput>
        <Object type="document"/>
        <Status state="SUCCESS"/>
        <Statistics failureRecords="0" insertedRecords="0" totalNumberOfRecords="17" updatedRecords="0"/>
        <Records/>
      </XOGOutput>
    </NikuDataBus>

• 14.  RE: Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

Posted Jan 13, 2014 03:23 PM
    Hi Garrett.  As you're in an onDemand environment, there are some tips & tricks you'll need to know to export out your documents.

I just ran a quick test against a client's Development environment. The attached text file shows the XOG I ran and the output received.  Note the value in the documentLocation argument - it needs to be somewhere the onDemand server can understand and reach.

The /fs0/clarity1/share path is relative; each environment you're in intrinsically understands what this path is, so you don't have to modify your XOG as you move from Dev to Test to Prod.  The test I ran was against the development environment, so the files have been placed in /home/[Client ID]/sftp/Development/...  If I'd run the same test in the Test environment, the files would have been output to /home/[Client ID]/sftp/Testing/...

You're going to need a FTP client (I use FileZilla) to get at the documents which the XOG outputs, and access to your FTP site (assuming CA haven't already given this).  The attached PNG file shows the output I received from the XOG I ran (please excuse the redactions!).

I've only run a quick & dirty test for the purpose of answering your main questions; I haven't yet established whether the XOG can (for example) recreate the folder path and proper file names/extensions.  If not, you may need to create a manual or semi-automated (Excel and VBA?) process for this.

A couple of additional points. First, given the number of projects you're intending to interrogate I'd recommend using a GEL process. This will give the advantage of (a) automating the XOG and (b) providing feedback messages and exception handling.  I'd also recommend working with the onDemand team to agree a mechanism for transferring the files from the FTP across to your company's environment - with 2000 projects you're likely to have a sizeable amount of data and the FTP will probably be unable to handle it (or it will take a month of Sundays).

My company has experience with the outcome you're trying to achieve, and we would be more than happy to work with you on this activity. Let me know if we can offer any assistance.

Thanks, and good luck!
    Alistair Miller

Attachment(s)

txt
    XOG.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 15.  RE: Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 28, 2014 05:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all your great feedback.  I was actually able to make some progress using XOG but this project got cancelled/put on hold before it could be completed.

Garrett

• 16.  Re: Export Collaboration documents to be stored on Sharepoint

Posted May 15, 2017 11:42 PM

Hello Alistair, Garret, Dave, Luis and All,

Would someone please help me with a very similar question?  I am also needing to extract Project documents from Collaboration (but not for sharepoint).  I have successfully extracted multiple documents and its folder structure from one project.  However, how do I:

- use GEL to automate this process for thousands of projects (writing GEL script is not my strength) and

- find out the correct folder and file names (as opposed to the IDs) and

- find out the correct file types (as no file extension are associated with the documents)

Would you please contact me by email at thao.nguyen@daf.qld.gov.au?

If it is of any help, this is the DOCUMENTS_READ.XML

<NikuDataBus xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/nikuxog_read.xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><Header externalSource="NIKU" objectType="document" action="read" version="7.5"><args value="E:\CA\Clarity\Config" name="documentLocation"/></Header><DocumentQuery><Filter name="parentObjectType" criteria="EQUALS">Projects</Filter><Filter name="parentObjectID" criteria="EQUALS">5034203</Filter></DocumentQuery></NikuDataBus>