Clarity

• 1.  BAC - billing rate setup

Posted Jan 27, 2014 10:09 AM

Hi,
    I have got a question concerning BAC calculation.
    The formula says "BAC = ((Actuals + Remaining Work) x Billing Rate) taken at time of baseline". Unfortunately I don't know exactly how to handle billing rate. I added "billing rate" to OWB view and changed the value but BAC was not changing. I also changed the rate value within the clarity matrix (where I can also enter standard cost and actual cost) but this had also no effect on BAC. Can somebody explain to me where I can set up the billing rate for calculating the BAC?

Thank you for your help!

• 2.  RE: BAC - billing rate setup

Posted Jan 29, 2014 07:11 PM
    clarity_user_kf:

Hi,
    I have got a question concerning BAC calculation.
    The formula says "BAC = ((Actuals + Remaining Work) x Billing Rate) taken at time of baseline". Unfortunately I don't know exactly how to handle billing rate. I added "billing rate" to OWB view and changed the value but BAC was not changing. I also changed the rate value within the clarity matrix (where I can also enter standard cost and actual cost) but this had also no effect on BAC. Can somebody explain to me where I can set up the billing rate for calculating the BAC?

Thank you for your help!

Hi All,

Any input here for this one?

Thanks!

Chris

• 3.  Earned Value History Portlet

Posted Feb 04, 2014 07:07 AM

In the meantime I found out by myself that the Actual Costs are taken as billing rate. Due to some circumstances there were no data shown in our case but now we'll receive data for BAC.

But now a new question concerning Earend Value arose. I saw that there is a portlet "Earned Value History": Unfortunately the portlet says for a specific project "there are no items to display". I checked the table PRJ_EV_HISTORY and there are data for that project. Can anybody tell me the conditions to show data in this portlet?

• 4.  RE: Earned Value History Portlet

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 04, 2014 03:41 PM

Hi clarity_user_kf,

You do not specify which version you are on, there are few portlets retrieving EV History, some queries have been improved.  To make sure you have all the projects shown, please get the exact NSQL/SQL query for this exact portlet. Here are the steps you could use:

1. Login to Clarity - Administration Tool
    2. Select Queries
    3. Filter for Earned Value History or EV History or the exact portlet name
    4. Open it and select NSQL query, click on Preview

You will see the exact query used and see why it doesn't pick your project.
    I would assume that you use Weekly EV period for it, instead of Monthly and this is the cause of your issue, but this is the exact way you could prove it.
    I hope this helps,

Kind Regards
    Nika

• 5.  RE: Earned Value History Portlet

Posted Feb 10, 2014 09:44 AM

Thank you Nika - I used weekly EV periods and thus the porlet showd no values. Now I changed the period interval in the NSQL of the Query - so the portlet shows weekly data. Now I only have two little issues with that - maybe somebody can help me:

1. The portlet shows data even for the time after project finish. Is it possbile to set the period end date for the Earned Value Histroy Portlet to the project finish date?

2. The x axis do not show weeks but months. Thus I have e.g. for March 5 times "Mar 14" on my axis because there are 5 weeks in March. Does somebody has an idea how to show weeks and not month on the x axis?

Thank you for your help!

• 6.  RE: Earned Value History Portlet

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 11, 2014 03:52 PM

Hi clarity_user_kf,

Both questions you have sound like you may have to actually customize your portlet's query. Would you mind giving me your exact Clarity version and exact portlet name or id? I will check this out and confirm my assumption.

Many thanks and Regards

Nika

• 7.  RE: Earned Value History Portlet

Posted Feb 12, 2014 02:16 AM
    Nika_Hadzhikidi:

Hi clarity_user_kf,

Both questions you have sound like you may have to actually customize your portlet's query. Would you mind giving me your exact Clarity version and exact portlet name or id? I will check this out and confirm my assumption.

Many thanks and Regards

Nika

I am using Clarity version 13.2 and the portlet name is Earned Value History with ID EVHistory.

Thank you for your help!

• 8.  RE: BAC - billing rate setup
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 18, 2014 01:04 PM
      |   view attached

Karen,

I have attached a reference doc from a Tuesday Tip session from 2012 that you can use to check EV Calculations.

Please note that if your Rate Matrix was not set up prior to posting actuals to any of the projects you wish to calc EV on going forward, your numbers will be off.  Actual Cost is taken at a specific point in time and cannot be updated retroactively through the application, i.e. changing rates, adding a rate, will not change historical data.

Also, I believe that the EV History portlet you are referencing was deprecated in version 13.0/PMO 3.0 of the application, but CA Support should be able to confirm that for you.  If that is the case, you may continue to use the existing portlet, but it would not be part of the supported package.

Regards,

Jenn

JENN RINELLA
    Technology Architect III
    RNAM OP PST&M BUS TRANSFORMATION TOOLS
    Ericsson | jenn.rinella@ericsson.com | www.ericsson.com

Attachment(s)

docx
    Tuesday Tips_EV.docx   17 KB 1 version