CA Service Management

• 1.  Populate summary field based on description field

Posted Feb 05, 2014 03:08 AM

Hi All,

When ticket is created from employee portal we only use description field to enter details and by default 1st 60 characters of the Description filed is used by summary.we  need to populate the summary field with all the characters from description field . is it possible using macro, i have developed a spell code and implemented but no change took place.Here is the code,

cr::zpre_val_summary(...)

{

string method;

method="cr::zpre_val_summary";

if(active == 0)

{

if(summary == (description,0,60))

{

summary == description;

return summary;

}

}

}

• 2.  RE: Populate summary field based on description field

Posted Feb 05, 2014 01:40 PM

I believe that this functionality is available by default. The first 100 characters are automatically copied to the Summary field on save.

• 3.  RE: Populate summary field based on description field

Posted Feb 05, 2014 07:41 PM
    mohansrinivas:

When ticket is created from employee portal we only use description field to enter details and by default 1st 60 characters of the Description filed is used by summary.we  need to populate the summary field with all the characters from description field . is it possible using macro, i have developed a spell code and implemented but no change took place.Here is the code . . .

Hello mohansrinivas,

You are correct. The first 60 characters of the Description are copied to the Summary field when entered in the Employee interface, plus "..." is appended if the Description is longer than 60 characters and cut off.

I can't answer the question about the SPL code. As stated by the first response, there is already SPL code in place that performs this copy (not 100), so you will be bumping into that. I'm not sure if that is in compiled SPL or not, but you may be bumping into it.

Some general comments:

1) Do you really need 100 characters copied? The whole point of the "Summary" field is to be just that - a summary. There are 240 characters available (SDM 12.7), but you wouldn't want to be copying the full length each time. The Description field is below it on most screens for more information.

2) Can you update the ticket by another method? Such as email and include the %SUMMARY string? Or Web Services?

3) This question has been raised once before through CA Support. There wasn't an answer then, as it was out-of-scope, but the suggestion was made to raise an Idea on this board (see tabs at top), so there may be an existing Idea present, or at least once supporter if you put this through.

4) You could confirm your code is right on a test box by making a NEW field (zSummary2) and seeing if your code can copy to that. That will help rule in deciding if it is "bumping into the existing code" as the problem or "new code is wrong."

If anyone can help with the code query, please do so.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 4.  RE: Populate summary field based on description field

Posted Feb 05, 2014 07:47 PM

Hi kyle and manjm,

Thanks for the feedback. we want to populate the full summary field from description field for the reporting purpose. if we pull reports from SD summary is by default cutofft to 1st 60 characters.

Regards,

Mohan

• 5.  RE: [CA Service Desk General Discussion] RE: Populate summary field based o

Posted Feb 05, 2014 09:39 PM
    If you want to populate the full field from description just for reports, why not just use the description field for reports instead?

From: CA Service Management Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 4:47 PM
    To: mb_message.2276110.108857627@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [CA Service Desk General Discussion] RE: Populate summary field based on description field

Hi kyle and manjm,

Thanks for the feedback. we want to populate the full summary field from description field for the reporting purpose. if we pull reports from SD summary is by default cutofft to 1st 60 characters.

Regards,

Mohan
    Posted by:mohansrinivas
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.2276110.108857627@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.2276110.108857627@myca-email.ca.com>
    https://communities.ca.com

• 6.  RE: [CA Service Desk General Discussion] RE: Populate summary field based o

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:16 AM

Plus, before investigating on such a spel ciode, you might want to consider the Object layer and Database as well?

Out of the box sdm r12.7 has 3000 max char in the object layer, summary is 240 (?)

If you are using SQL Server DB at the backend .. then you got Description as ntext and Summary is less (really don't remember it right.)

Now even through SPEL code you can't copy the entire thing... also report query performance?

I would't use description fieldson the report because those are not indexed so longer query reponse.. rather use the summary 

As per Best Practises it is recommended to keep on updating the Summary field once a ticket is logged and handled by someone with the latest brief of the issue. so looking at it anyone can understand that is all about.

I typing achieve something like that by providing a hyperlink in the report ticket ref# unless business is super insistant on that.

Sudip

• 7.  RE: [CA Service Desk General Discussion] RE: Populate summary field based o
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:38 PM
    sudip.bhowmik:

Plus, before investigating on such a spel ciode, you might want to consider the Object layer and Database as well?

Out of the box sdm r12.7 has 3000 max char in the object layer, summary is 240 (?)

If you are using SQL Server DB at the backend .. then you got Description as ntext and Summary is less (really don't remember it right.)

Now even through SPEL code you can't copy the entire thing... also report query performance?

I would't use description fieldson the report because those are not indexed so longer query reponse.. rather use the summary 

As per Best Practises it is recommended to keep on updating the Summary field once a ticket is logged and handled by someone with the latest brief of the issue. so looking at it anyone can understand that is all about.

I typing achieve something like that by providing a hyperlink in the report ticket ref# unless business is super insistant on that.

Sudip

Here is the spel code to copy the first 512 characters from Description to Summary. Of couse, you need to change the width of the summary field to 512 in all the layers...

cr::z_summary_sync(...)
    {
        summary = substr( description, 0, 511 ); 
    }

• 8.  RE: [CA Service Desk General Discussion] RE: Populate summary field based o

Posted Feb 13, 2014 10:22 PM

Hi Manjm,

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,

Mohan