DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Alerting for some constant values variation

Posted Feb 17, 2014 03:36 PM

Hi All,

I was thinking a scenario in Wily Alerting, where if we can set an alert ( with SMTP mail action defined ) for a value, if it incrases or decreases.

For e.g., I want to be alerted if "Receiver Count" of one of the queue in EMS increases or decreases. I see an option of 'When Severity Changes', but that too will be with reference to the threshold we have set. That will not be giving us the details of the deltas above\below thrshold.

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
    Vaibhav

• 2.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation

Posted Feb 17, 2014 09:08 PM

Hi Vaibhav,

Do you mean that you don't want to set a value for threshold? 

Regards,

Mukesh Singh

• 3.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation

Posted Feb 17, 2014 09:10 PM

Hi Vaibhav,

I think if you know that constant value then it can be achieved.

Regards,

Mukesh Singh

• 4.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation

Posted Feb 18, 2014 04:04 AM

Thanks for your suggestions Mukesh.

Actually, we will be having that constant value. But the thing is, if those constant values are different for different metics in a grouping. For e.g. i have talked about is of "Receiver Count" of a queue. But if we have around 20-25 queues then the constant values for those particlular queues would be different. And I want to be get intimated if any of the value gets changed.

In that case, how to achieve ? Let me know if you need more elaboration.

Regards,
    Vaibhav

• 5.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation

Posted Feb 18, 2014 06:35 AM

Hi Vaibhav,

Thanks for explaining.

I don't think this feature is available out of the box as of now but yes it would be really nice if every metric have an option to enable/disable alerting for any change in current value. The only way possible as of now is to group metrics with same value in one metric grouping and create an alert for that but this will be a tedious process if you have large set of metrics with different values.

There is a feature called "What's Interesting" which shows an alert in workstation for an unexpected change in metric but I don't think this will help for small variation.

Regards,

Mukesh Singh

• 6.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 18, 2014 07:49 AM
    viruvaibhav_apm:

Hi All,

I was thinking a scenario in Wily Alerting, where if we can set an alert ( with SMTP mail action defined ) for a value, if it incrases or decreases.

For e.g., I want to be alerted if "Receiver Count" of one of the queue in EMS increases or decreases. I see an option of 'When Severity Changes', but that too will be with reference to the threshold we have set. That will not be giving us the details of the deltas above\below thrshold.

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
    Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,

Check if this Technical advisory helps:

I am pasting the content below just in case:

"

Is it possible to set up an Alert based on a constant metric value

Question
    Scenario where a graph will remain constant, i.e. it will report at level 10 for 5 minutes, is there are alert that will check for this?  How do we know if a graph remains 'flat' for a period of time.

Answer
    An alert, by definition, must have a threshold, and when the metric value crosses this threshold, the alert is activated.    

There is a "Smart Triggering Functionality" to avoid triggering too often, i.e., the value must cross the threshold for a period of time (not just in one time interval) before the alert fires.   However, this Smart Triggering still requires a threshold to be set.

There is a tool in the Wily Community WebSite, called EM Javascript, which is basically a programmable calculator.   With it, you can get a metric value, and saves it, then checks if it remains flat for N period (by keeping the metric values in an array).    When this happens, the code can generate a calculator metric, for example value 1 (ordinarily value of this calculator metric is 0), and an alert can be based on this metric (it fires when the value goes from 0 to 1).

The Embedded JavaScript engine provides a mechanism to write calculator scripts in JavaScript and plug them into a running EM.
    The scripts can read a number of input metrics and produce  arbitrary output metrics in the root calculator agent. 

Thanks,

Jose

• 7.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation

Posted Feb 19, 2014 08:21 AM

Thanks Mukesh for your suggestions.

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the post. This is what I was looking for. Can you please direct me to the EM Javascript Calculator in the community ?

Regards,
    Vaibhav

• 8.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 10:43 AM
    viruvaibhav_apm:

Thanks Mukesh for your suggestions.

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the post. This is what I was looking for. Can you please direct me to the EM Javascript Calculator in the community ?

Regards,
    Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,

The tool itself is included in the product for a long time (the tool was for old versions of Introscope) execpt the scripts that I have uploaded them to the following section:

Documents -> Start -> Tools -> JavaScript calculators

Refer to the following scripts:

- AlertStateMessageText.zip, stitch.zip, subtract.zip, sum.zip

Regards,

Jose

• 9.  RE: Alerting for some constant values variation

Posted Feb 20, 2014 10:11 AM

Thanks a lot Jose. :)

Regards,
    Vaibhav