Endevor

• 1.  Getting COBOL/DB2 Precompile Listing

Posted Mar 07, 2014 12:10 PM

I'm having a problem with my version of an Endevor Generate processor for COBOL/DB2 programs. The problem is, if there is an error in the DB2 pre-compiler, and the COMPILE step doesn't execute because of condition codes, then the remaining processor steps don't execute, including the steps that store and print the pre-compile listing. I have "COND=EVEN" coded on the two steps that should store and print the listings (the STORLIST and PRNTLIST steps). However, because the COMPILE step doesn't create a &&SYSLIN output file, an "Allocation Error" occurs, and the entire processor stops processing. My developers need to see the DB2 pre-compiler errors to fix their code, but can't because there is no DB2 pre-compiler listing to look at.

Has anyone found a way to overcome this problem?

• 2.  RE: [General Discussion] Getting COBOL/DB2 Precompile Listing
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2014 12:23 PM
    Allocate any of the listing files first in the BC1PDSIN step. I have the db2 translation step write to a DB2LIST, and the COBOL Compile write to another listing. Then the CONLIST step you can concatenate the listing in whatever order you like.

Then the file is always allocated, and you will not get that dreaded “Allocation Error”

PS – I usually store the dataset first in a dataset with banner pages separating the listing file, then do a Print of the listing in the same order:

//PRNTLIST EXEC PGM=CONLIST,MAXRC=0,PARM=PRTMBR,COND=EVEN
    //C1LLIBI DD DSN=&LISTLIB,DISP=SHR
    //C1PRINT DD SYSOUT=Y,
    // DCB=(RECFM=FBA,LRECL=133,BLKSIZE=0,DSORG=PS)

From: CA Endevor Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 12:11 PM
    To: mb_message.2255613.110690426@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [General Discussion] Getting COBOL/DB2 Precompile Listing

I'm having a problem with my version of an Endevor Generate processor for COBOL/DB2 programs. The problem is, if there is an error in the DB2 pre-compiler, and the COMPILE step doesn't execute because of condition codes, then the remaining processor steps don't execute, including the steps that store and print the pre-compile listing. I have "COND=EVEN" coded on the two steps that should store and print the listings (the STORLIST and PRNTLIST steps). However, because the COMPILE step doesn't create a &&SYSLIN output file, an "Allocation Error" occurs, and the entire processor stops processing. My developers need to see the DB2 pre-compiler errors to fix their code, but can't because there is no DB2 pre-compiler listing to look at.

Has anyone found a way to overcome this problem?
    Posted by:bkjanes
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.2255613.110690426@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.2255613.110690426@myca-email.ca.com>
    https://communities.ca.com

• 3.  Getting COBOL/DB2 Precompile Listing

Posted Mar 07, 2014 12:30 PM
    I would suggest making a temp change to processor to create the temp file as a cataloged file and pass to the list step.

//SYSPRINT DD DSN=&C1USERID..&C1ELEMENT..LIST,
    // DCB=(RECFM=FBA,LRECL=121,BLKSIZE=6171,DSORG=PS),
    // DISP=(MOD,CATLG),
    // SPACE=(CYL,(1,1)),UNIT=DISKTSO

//COBLINP DD DSN=&C1USERID..&C1ELEMENT..LIST,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)

A delete step at beginning will allow them to continue to run until all errors worked out -

//DELETE EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
    //DD1 DD DSN=&C1USERID..&C1ELEMENT..LIST,
    // UNIT=DISKTSO,DISP=(MOD,DELETE),SPACE=(TRK,0)

James M Oros
    Vice President
    BNY Mellon
    TSG - Operations and Production Support - Data Center Release and Implementation Services - Endevor Admin
    182 NORTHPOINTE BOULEVARD
    FREEPORT, PA 16229
    AIM #160-0100
    Tel 724.295.8264
    Fax 412.236.366
    Mobile 412.445.8883
    james.oros@bnymellon.com<mailto:james.oros@bnymellon.com>

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any attachment, or any information contained therein, by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer. Although we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do not guarantee that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Please refer to http://disclaimer.bnymellon.com/eu.htm for certain disclosures relating to European legal entities.

• 4.  RE: Getting COBOL/DB2 Precompile Listing

Posted Mar 10, 2014 09:27 AM

Thank you Phon and Jim. I am pre-allocating the listing files for both the DB2 precompiler and the COBOL compiler, however, it's the temp &&SYSLIN file that is causing the error because the COBOL compile step is not executing because of condition codes. However, I guess I can pre-allocate the temp &&SYSLIN file to avoid the error. I was just trying to stay as close as possible to the sample COBOL/DB2 Generate processor that CA provided.

• 5.  RE: Getting COBOL/DB2 Precompile Listing

Posted Mar 10, 2014 11:26 AM

Pre-allocating the temp &&SYSLIN file fixed the problem. Now, if the DB2 pre-compile step finds a DB2 error, the &&SYSLIN file is already allocated, and the Endevor batch process (NDVRBAT) can continue to process and store and write the DB2 pre-compile listing.

Thanks again for the replies.