Clarity

• 1.  OWB v2 Java Issue with Clarity v13.3

Posted Mar 07, 2014 04:48 PM

Hi.  I am trying to determine why i got an java 1.7 error after uninstalling legacy version of OWB and Schedule Connect.  We are in process of upgrading to v13.3 of Clarity and i read in the Change & Impact Guide that this release uses Java 7 and that starting with v13.3 CA Clarity PPM provides a specific JRE for Open Workbench.    I can confirm that when i installed executed the wbsetup.exe file from v13.3 that it indeed copied jre7 in the installation director of my workstation for use with schedule connect.    However, i could not open a project from Clarity into OWB v2 without getting a 'can't location java 1.7 error message. 

I guess my question relates to the workstation itself.  I was running clarity v12.1 with legacy OWB prior to our v13.3. upgrade and it used java 1.6 on the workstation itself (as required).  thus, when i completed the uninstall /  install procedures related to the OWB setup file with v13.3, i saw that jre7 was placed into my CA subfolder for use by schedule connect.  I did not think i would need to remove Java 1.6 from my machine as we have legacy applications in our enterprise that are coded to that version :( .  I could not get pass the error until i uninstalled java  1.6 from control panel and installed java 1.7.  But i thought that was the whole point of CA providing jre7 into a specific install folder as to not complicate or disrupt legacy apps and configs.

Please advise.  Do i have to install Java 1.7 on the workstation itself?  (Program Files / Java)    If so...what is the point of placing the jre in the CA subfolder during OWBv2 install. 

Perhaps my registry was not correct ? as i could not open a project until i installed Java 1.7. 

What am i missing here?

much thanks,

pb

• 2.  RE: OWB v2 Java Issue with Clarity v13.3

Posted Mar 10, 2014 04:42 PM
    nosreme:

Hi.  I am trying to determine why i got an java 1.7 error after uninstalling legacy version of OWB and Schedule Connect.  We are in process of upgrading to v13.3 of Clarity and i read in the Change & Impact Guide that this release uses Java 7 and that starting with v13.3 CA Clarity PPM provides a specific JRE for Open Workbench.    I can confirm that when i installed executed the wbsetup.exe file from v13.3 that it indeed copied jre7 in the installation director of my workstation for use with schedule connect.    However, i could not open a project from Clarity into OWB v2 without getting a 'can't location java 1.7 error message. 

I guess my question relates to the workstation itself.  I was running clarity v12.1 with legacy OWB prior to our v13.3. upgrade and it used java 1.6 on the workstation itself (as required).  thus, when i completed the uninstall /  install procedures related to the OWB setup file with v13.3, i saw that jre7 was placed into my CA subfolder for use by schedule connect.  I did not think i would need to remove Java 1.6 from my machine as we have legacy applications in our enterprise that are coded to that version :( .  I could not get pass the error until i uninstalled java  1.6 from control panel and installed java 1.7.  But i thought that was the whole point of CA providing jre7 into a specific install folder as to not complicate or disrupt legacy apps and configs.

Please advise.  Do i have to install Java 1.7 on the workstation itself?  (Program Files / Java)    If so...what is the point of placing the jre in the CA subfolder during OWBv2 install. 

Perhaps my registry was not correct ? as i could not open a project until i installed Java 1.7. 

What am i missing here?

much thanks,

pb

Hi All,

Any thoughts here for pb?

Thanks!

Chris

• 3.  RE: OWB v2 Java Issue with Clarity v13.3

Posted Mar 10, 2014 04:53 PM

Try to start from scratch

Uninstall all java you have. Then try the two reinstall optional sequences.:

First the java you would need for the normal use which makes the the normal settings and registry entries and then OWB 2.1.1. from Clarity 13.3 which makes its own settings, but does not seem to create any environmental variables nor is not added into the path.

If that does not work uninstall both and try installing OWB first and then the normal java.

I take you are using jre 32 bit in your normal use as there shoudl be less problems if you used 64 bit because OWB uses 32 bit java. Of course you can only use 64 jave in an 64 bit OS.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: OWB v2 Java Issue with Clarity v13.3

Posted Mar 11, 2014 11:41 AM

Update:  i have also created a case with CA Support as we are trying to develop a LANDesk software package to help install this for our users since many don't have admin rights to load/uninstall SW on their computer per our IT policies.  

In the meantime time i performed the following:

UNINSTALLED EVERYTHING

(1) I uninstalled OWBv2, Schedule Connect and Java and rebooted my laptop.

REDO

(2) Reinstalled the JRE v1.6.0_20 on my workstation as we need 1.6 for some legacy applications in our enterprise non related to Clarity.  I confirmed this install was correct by viewing it in Program Files / Java installation and successfully testing it with our legacy applications. 

(3) Downloaded v13.3 OWB setup file from our Clarity staging instance and launched it.

(4) Confirmed that OWB, Schedule Connect loaded successfully.  Vaidated that jre7 was copied into installation folder for Schedule Connect.

(5) Rebooted laptop as directed at end of installation procedure.   Yes, my laptop is a WIN7 machine running 32 bit OS.

(6) Launched Clarity v13.3. and tried to open a project into OWB.  Still get ERROR when OWB opens that it can't find Java 1.7 JRE(3).....either not installed or registry may be incorrect.   

What tells OWB to look in the CA\Clarity\CA Clarity PPM Schedule Connect subfolder for jre7?   As that seems to not be happening.  If i install Java 1.7 on my workstation, the issue disappears but that defeats the purpose.

Still fishing....

pb

• 5.  RE: OWB v2 Java Issue with Clarity v13.3

Posted Mar 15, 2014 05:37 PM

This is what I did on my 32 bit Win 7 VMWare

Checked that there was jre 1.6

Installed OWB

Launched OWB

Installed Schedule connect

Which also installs jre 1.7

after which OWB 2.1.1 from Clarity 13.3 launches without a problem.

OWB must be coded to look for jre 1.7 in the

\Program Files\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity PPM Schedule Connect\jre7\bin

folder. If I test for java version there I get 1.7 while elsewhere where it goes via path the test finds 1.6

Martti K.