Clarity

• 1.  [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted Mar 10, 2014 08:36 PM

So maybe i am overthinking this... the other day, i had to do a full reboot of the clarity system. i had glaced at the active users session portlet that was created a while ago by some developer... notficed there were about 300 users showing in the portlet. Went off and did my thing of rebooting the DB and the application servers. When i unpaused all the jobs, and everything was back up and running... less than 20min, when i looked again, there was the same amount of users on the system as there was previously.... so, why? why would there be the same active sessions?

Readng the table it states: This table stores information for each active authenticated user session. These sessions begin when a user logs in. They end either when the user logs out or when the session expires and is cleared by the session cleanup job.

My thought is that

1. the job wasn't run... however, wouldn 't the reboot clear everything... Clear all the sessions?

2. Is there truly a way to see active sessions, users that are currently on the system at any given time?

Again, i am sure i am over thinking this but figured i would ask just the same... not everyone "logs out" of the system...

3. is logging out the same as clicking the "X" in the top right corner of the web browser? smiley

Any advise and/or discussion is welcome

Keri

• 2.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted Mar 11, 2014 05:19 AM

1. My understanding is that reboot does not clear the records from the tables where the session information is store. It does end open sessions.

2. I think there was a query in Tuesday's tips for sessions.

3. If you do not log out the session is not closed. That is just closing the browsers leaves and open session. I think also if the session times out there is a record for open sessions.

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted Mar 11, 2014 07:25 AM

Here is one query I have used to get max numeber of sessions the users have and another sessions query which chrislfol posted.

Martti K.

Select

cmn_sec_users.last_name +','+ cmn_sec_users.first_name Name,

cmn_sec_users.user_name Userid,

Count(user_id) Number_sessions

from

cmn_sessions,

cmn_sec_users

where

cmn_sec_users.id = cmn_sessions.user_id

Group by(cmn_sec_users.last_name +','+ cmn_sec_users.first_name), cmn_sec_users.user_name

SELECT S.id SessionID,

u.id UserID,

u.user_name UserName,

u.last_name LastName,

u.first_name FirstName,

s.created_date LoggedInSince

FROM CMN_SESSIONS S,CMN_SEC_USERS U

WHERE U.ID=S.USER_ID

AND S.ID= (SELECT MAX(ID) FROM CMN_SESSIONS WHERE USER_ID = S.USER_ID)

• 4.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted Mar 17, 2014 03:34 PM

Martti, 

Thank you so much. Those are the queries i have as well. However, i am still stumpped... my system was down. Had around 200 users still showing as "active, in the system" or we can call it "active sessions".. however, when i brought the system up, i also ran the clear sessions job right away. What i noticed is that the query results didn't change... so to me, are those really the true, active sessions pertaining to actually being on-line using clarity at a specific point in time (right now) ? The results to me, would say no, as there is no way that 200 people jumpped on the system, given the fact that i just ran the clear sessions job. OR maybe i am mistaken as to how to really get the data in a portlet to show me, what users are actually on the system right here and now... blush

Thanks for your help as always.

Keri

• 5.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted Mar 17, 2014 04:09 PM

The way I arrived at some of those queries was when I was looking at a 8.1 system. years ago.

I noticed that in the evening there seemend to bo a large number of users who had an open session and for sorme reason there were sessions in the morning as well.

The Clean sessions was run at 3 AM. So I changed that to 7 AM and it worked for me. When I came in there were hardly any sessions at 8 AM.

In addition to actual users it could be jobs, processes and scheduled reports that create sessions, however, they, too, should disappear when you run the job.

Open a case with support or bring it up during the next office hours. session.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted May 15, 2014 08:26 AM

Hi Keri,

Were you able to raise this issue in any of the CA Office Hours?

We are in a similar situation where we would need to know this list of truely Active Clarity Users and would love to know what CA has commented on this topic. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Georgy

• 7.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted May 16, 2014 10:01 AM

Hi all,

It works for us in Clarity v13.0.1. We ran the Clean User Session job before running the below query, to clear the 10000s of stale records in the session tables.

SELECT su.id,su.user_name,su.first_name||' '||su.last_name FULL_NAME,sa.session_id,sa.session_start_date,sa.session_end_date
    FROM cmn_session_audits sa, cmn_sec_users su
    WHERE sa.user_id=su.id
    AND su.id NOT IN (1, 8, 5003000)
    AND session_end_date IS NULL

We had to exclude those 3 users as they were admin, process_admin and XOG Administrator respectively as many jobs/processes were using these accounts. Tested this with 3 or 4 users logging into clarity and the query results show only those who are logged in smiley

Thanks,

Georgy

• 8.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted May 19, 2014 05:30 PM

Hi Georgy, 

I ran the query to check mine, there are 7643 records, however, when i run the job, i get the same count... ? I ran the job 4 times, and the job is actually scheduled to run 8 times a day... 

Thanks, 

Keri

• 9.  RE: [Q] Active Clarity Sessions

Posted May 19, 2014 05:32 PM
    Georgy:

Hi Keri,

Were you able to raise this issue in any of the CA Office Hours?

We are in a similar situation where we would need to know this list of truely Active Clarity Users and would love to know what CA has commented on this topic. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Georgy

No, i was not available at the time. If you have time, maybe you can ask as well...