Expand all | Collapse all

Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Haruhiko Davis

Haruhiko DavisMar 14, 2014 01:05 PM

Haruhiko Davis

Haruhiko DavisJan 28, 2016 04:53 AM

• 1.  Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 11:43 AM

When exploring the Business Services available via the Triage Map of the Investigator, I do not find that two of our CEM-defined Business Services are available in the list.  Despite this, if I navigate over to Metric Browser tab and expand the Business Services tree under the CEM agent attached to our TIM EM, I find the Business Service and Transactions available for review, with data being recorded.

The two Business Services that are unavailable via the Triage Map each have a single Business Transaction.  The identifying components of their transactions each utilize a valid regular expression among the indetifying actions.  This information may not be beneficial, but I offer it as this is a trait unique to these two Business Services/Transactions which are not available in the Triage Map in comparison to the Business Services and Transactions that are available in the Triage Map.

All components in the environment are at 9.5.2.0.  Has any one else encountered and resolved this behavior?  If so, how?

• 2.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2014 01:05 PM

Did you enable CEM tracing in the agent?

• 3.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 01:50 PM

Thank you for your response.  I'm new to the CA APM product, so I must ask, is your question intended to offer direction to troubleshooting this issue via agent-side traces or a suggestion for configuration that would need be present to implement these transactions?

• 4.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2014 01:54 PM

I guess I should've been more explicit when I was forming my question.

Are you a CEM-only shop, or are you using Introscope also?

You'll want to enable CEM tracing at the agent so that you can fully trace the behavior from the customer all the way through to the backend.

It will also appear in the Triage maps which agents are participating in business transactions, which again further helps to understand your application flows.

• 5.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 01:57 PM

Yes, we use both CEM and Introscope.  In my particular instance, only a couple of transactions are not available in the Triage Maps whereas many more are available.  So I am trying to understand what would be contributing to the lack of these two CEM transactions presense in the Triage maps.

• 6.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2014 01:59 PM

Are the missing transactions on the same agents as ones that are showing in the maps?

Have you compared agent profiles of working and non-working agents participating in transactions?

• 7.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:00 PM

Yes, these missing transactions are on the same agents that working transactions are homed on.

• 8.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:07 PM

Are any EMs reporting any triage map issues or the CEM Event Manager showing warnings or errors?

• 9.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:14 PM

Neither.

• 10.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:18 PM

If you're a US customer, did you have any problems after the DST change?

• 11.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:23 PM

No we did not have any issues that we're aware of.  I'm curious, what DST-related issues could factor into this?

• 12.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:24 PM

Daily aggregation of data was not occurring because of partition names in one of our tables was incorrect after the time change. This seems to only happen to customers who installed APM DB on Oracle.

• 13.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:26 PM

Thank you for that clarification.  No, we've installed the APM DB on Postgres.

• 14.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:44 PM

Is this a recent event, or has this been happening since the environment was stood up?

Have there been any recent changes to your APM environment?

• 15.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 14, 2014 02:49 PM

This is a recent event. We recently upgraded from 9.1.1.1 to 9.5.2.  These particular transactions were recorded post-upgrade, however other transactions which are present in the triage map were recorded post-upgrade as well.

• 16.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 17, 2014 03:31 AM

Hi Dan,

Do you see "Business Segments" Node in the agent? Also, please check if the tables apm_edge and apm_vertex and see if it is populated.  Also, I assume biz-trx-http.pbd is enabled?

I would suggest opening a support ticket with the following information:

1)zipped content of the AGENT_HOME\logs (verbose enabled)

2)screenshot of the app_edge and app_vetex displaying the content.

Thanks,

Anu

CA Support

• 17.  RE: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Posted Mar 18, 2014 05:06 PM

We are having the same issue. We use APM 9.5.1 with 9.1.6 java agents. The exact same agent configuration generates AppMap data for some applications and not for the rest. 

CA support is still investigating this issue for us.

Thanks,

ADoss

• 18.  Re: Business Service Not Available in Investigator's Triage Map

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2016 04:53 AM

Marked as answered.