Clarity

• 1.  Announcing the Upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki

Posted Apr 08, 2014 08:28 AM

Wouldn’t it be great if you could access a collaborative environment that lets you find answers quickly with intuitive search, access up-to-date information on mobile devices, view new CA Clarity PPM Cookbook articles, export information to PDF and Word documents, rate and comment, and provide us with feedback so we can improve the content in a timely manner? You can!

Your product documentation is evolving to a dynamic Wiki!

We are planning to release the CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki and we’d love for you to collaborate with us.

What's Happening with the Bookshelves and Online Help?

The upcoming CA Clarity PPM release is the last release that will provide the traditional bookshelves (including the HTML and PDF documentation) and the current online help. After the upcoming GA release, we will discontinue the bookshelves, the HTML documentation, the PDF documentation, and online help in future releases. The bookshelves and online help will evolve and be replaced by the Wiki.

Any post-GA documentation updates for the upcoming release will only be made on the Wiki.

Note: You can find the existing bookshelves supporting previous CA Clarity PPM releases on CA Support Online.

What’s Happening with the CA Answer Bar?

The CA Answer Bar is being retired in September, 2014 and it will not be delivered with the upcoming CA Clarity PPM release. The CA Answer Bar started the transition to better search-based information. And with the evolution to a dynamic Wiki, you will have a collaborative environment to find and share relevant and up-to-date content. After September, any shortcuts you may have to the CA Answer Bar will redirect you to the global search results page on our product support page where you can easily search for the information you need.

What Will the Wiki Look Like?

A few CA products are now live on the Wiki. Use the links below to see it in action, get a preview of what the CA Clarity PPM Wiki will look like, and how it will work: 

Help Us Design the Upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki

Let’s start the conversation now. Follow these steps:

1.       Use the previous Wiki links to get acquainted with what the CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki will look like and how it will work.

2.       Review the following draft screen shot of the upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki Home Page and the table below the screen shot for a description of the content you will find in each box.

Content Area/Blue Box Contains
    Announcements & News Important announcements/news. For example, a new article on the CA Clarity PPM Cookbook, important information from the Community, an upcoming BrightTALK seminar, etc.
    Videos Videos from the CA Technologies eduCAte channel on YouTube.
    Release Information Release information that is traditionally found in the Release Notes and Change Impact and Upgrade.
    Installing and Upgrading Information about how you install and upgrade CA Clarity PPM.
    Using Information about how you manage projects, portfolios, resources, and finances.
    Administering Information about how you set up CA Clarity PPM so users can manage projects, portfolios, resources, and finances.
    Add-Ins and Connectors Information about how you extend the product functionality using the add-ins and connectors.
    Reference Technical information for CA Clarity PPM, such as portlets, jobs reference, database tables, etc.
    Connect Access to the CA Clarity Global User Community, Blogs, Support, Green Books, CA Clarity PPM Cookbook on Flipboard, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and BrightTALK.

3.       Note your observations, comments, and suggestions about the order of the boxes (the most important should appear at the top), their name, and what content you would expect to find when you click each box. If there are any boxes you don’t see and would expect to find, let us know, and also where they should appear on the Home Page.

4.       Do one of the following:

• Respond to this community post with your feedback.
    • Email me directly (john.george@ca.com) with your feedback.

We are experimenting now, and we want to ensure that we provide you with a simple and intuitive Wiki where you will easily be able to find the content that you want.

Thank you for joining in our journey to evolve the product documentation and improve your experience.

• 2.  RE: Announcing the Upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki

Posted Apr 08, 2014 11:06 AM

1. Looks ok, but since I am not familiar with any of the products I don't know whether the key information is missing or not!

2. "version information" - can't see this - how do you propose the Wiki to cover multiple product versions / service packs etc

3. For me presentation is almost irrelevant (Ok its secondary) - the content is the key thing rather than what order a button appears on screen.

4. Is there a vote on this ;-) ? (I know there were some conversations a little while ago, the upshot of these were (to my memory) that the "manuals" were the key document, however they were presented (PDFs, bookshelf etc))

Personally I use the bookshelf downloads all the time - it is my #1 resource for information across various versions of the product.

I find the Answer Bar OK ; but it is just a front-end onto other collateral and I only ever use it accidentally (if I hit the 'wrong' search field online).

I'm not sure I see any benefit / use-case for being able to read product documentation on my phone - I need access to the documentation alongside the product itself (hence I will have some sort of computer available to me) - also, is the whole "wiki" downloadable to networks without open internet access?

(sorry ; all of the above is a bit of a reactionary post!)

• 3.  RE: Announcing the Upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki

Posted Apr 09, 2014 02:48 PM

Hi Dave, thank you for your quick response. Let me see if I can help by going through your questions, point by point.

1. Looks ok, but since I am not familiar with any of the products I don't know whether the key information is missing or not!

First and foremost, we are not taking anything away. We are simply moving our existing content platform (bookshelves) to a new, modern approach (Wiki). By doing this, you benefit with so many more features and functionality, including the ability to find things much faster. Here are the benefits the Wiki will bring you:

• Findabily - The Wiki presents information in a simple and intuitive way. You can find information faster and easier.
    • Collaboration. You can like, dislike, and provide us with comments about the content. We will be monitoring what you have to say and will work with you to improve it - faster! We did not have this ability with the bookshelves. We will now be able to deliver information updates independent from the product release at any time. Right now, that is quite difficult with the bookshelves. We are moving away from the bookshelves and forward with the wiki to accelerate our ability to delivery you with quality content.
    • Blue Boxes. The boxes are organized based on business context and the categories you would expect to find Clarity content. That's why we have started this discussion with you now. We want to work with you and deliver you the best and most intuitive Clarity Wiki!
    • Embedded Video. In the Videos box, we can embed videos so that you don't have to navigate to the CA youtube channel, search, and find the videos you want to watch. We can embed and play them right in this page.
    • Expanding/Collapsing Table of Contents. For those who like the traditional way to find content, we provide this on the left side of the page.
    • Announcements & News. This prominent place at the top of the Wiki can be used to tell you about important updates, fixes, an upcoming event for community members, an interesting cookbook article, upcoming training, an upcoming broadcast on BrightTALK, etc.
    • Create your own PDF and Word Files. This powerful Wiki feature allows you to select any of the content on the Wiki and create your own PDF and Word files. We have heard from the community that our existing Clarity documentation is "good and overwhelming." So now, instead of you having to spend time and search hundreds of pages in a guide, you will be able to create your own with "just the content you want."
    • Collaboration with your Community. You will have 1-click access and one place to collaborate with your peers on the Global User Community, submit ideas to improve the product, read blogs, access support, green books, cookbook articles on Flipboard, youtube videos, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and BrightTALK.

2. "version information" - can't see this - how do you propose the Wiki to cover multiple product versions / service packs etc

Versioning is being built into the wiki. So, based on the product version you are using, you will only see the content appropriate for that release.

3. For me presentation is almost irrelevant (Ok its secondary) - the content is the key thing rather than what order a button appears on screen.

I agree with you that content is key. However, the findability of the content is just as important because if you can't find it, it really doesn't exist. smiley Just like we improved the usability of the product in v13, we need to improve the usability and findability of our content. And by retiring the bookshelves and moving to the Wiki, we make things easier for you and more collaborative.

4. Is there a vote on this ;-) ? (I know there were some conversations a little while ago, the upshot of these were (to my memory) that the "manuals" were the key document, however they were presented (PDFs, bookshelf etc))

As part of a company-wide initiative, all CA products are moving to the Wiki. Some products will get there sooner than others. This is in-line with our other approaches of delivering content to customers in the way that they consume it. That means new methods such as the CA Answer Bar, the Cookbooks on Flipboard, and other ways that may evolve in the future. Just as Development is making the Clarity UI more intuitive and usable, we will do the same with the content.

Personally I use the bookshelf downloads all the time - it is my #1 resource for information across various versions of the product.

With the ability to make your own PDF and Word files, you will still be able to create your own personal library. With the Wiki, content will be easier to find, there will be fewer clicks to find things, and you will have a collaborative and flexible environment. It will evolve into your one-stop-shop for everything Clarity.

I find the Answer Bar OK ; but it is just a front-end onto other collateral and I only ever use it accidentally (if I hit the 'wrong' search field online).

I'm not sure I see any benefit / use-case for being able to read product documentation on my phone - I need access to the documentation alongside the product itself (hence I will have some sort of computer available to me) - also, is the whole "wiki" downloadable to networks without open internet access?

We have heard from other Clarity customers and from other CA products that they love being able to access product documentation, cookbook articles, and other content on mobile devices.  We are not taking away your ability to access the documentation alongside the product itself.

As far as the Wiki being available to those with no internet access - there is currently no offline version, so you have to be connected. The good news is that this has been identified as a business case in our wiki backlog.

(sorry ; all of the above is a bit of a reactionary post!)

Dave and Community Members - I encourage you to give the Wiki a try using the links I previously provided. This will help you get a sense of how the Clarity Wiki will work when we roll it out.

You all know that you can always reach out to me with questions, concerns, feedback, etc. I really value community feedback and I want to avoid any surprises when we roll out the Wiki. That's why I took this advanced opportunity to reach out to the community, let you know, and ask that we start collaborating now.

Cheers!

• 4.  RE: Announcing the Upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki

Posted Apr 08, 2014 01:32 PM
    John_George:

Wouldn’t it be great if you could access a collaborative environment that lets you find answers quickly with intuitive search, access up-to-date information on mobile devices, view new CA Clarity PPM Cookbook articles, export information to PDF and Word documents, rate and comment, and provide us with feedback so we can improve the content in a timely manner? You can!

Your product documentation is evolving to a dynamic Wiki!

We are planning to release the CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki and we’d love for you to collaborate with us.

What's Happening with the Bookshelves and Online Help?

The upcoming CA Clarity PPM release is the last release that will provide the traditional bookshelves (including the HTML and PDF documentation) and the current online help. After the upcoming GA release, we will discontinue the bookshelves, the HTML documentation, the PDF documentation, and online help in future releases. The bookshelves and online help will evolve and be replaced by the Wiki.

Any post-GA documentation updates for the upcoming release will only be made on the Wiki.

Note: You can find the existing bookshelves supporting previous CA Clarity PPM releases on CA Support Online.

What’s Happening with the CA Answer Bar?

The CA Answer Bar is being retired in September, 2014 and it will not be delivered with the upcoming CA Clarity PPM release. The CA Answer Bar started the transition to better search-based information. And with the evolution to a dynamic Wiki, you will have a collaborative environment to find and share relevant and up-to-date content. After September, any shortcuts you may have to the CA Answer Bar will redirect you to the global search results page on our product support page where you can easily search for the information you need.

What Will the Wiki Look Like?

A few CA products are now live on the Wiki. Use the links below to see it in action, get a preview of what the CA Clarity PPM Wiki will look like, and how it will work: 

Help Us Design the Upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki

Let’s start the conversation now. Follow these steps:

1.       Use the previous Wiki links to get acquainted with what the CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki will look like and how it will work.

2.       Review the following draft screen shot of the upcoming CA Clarity PPM Documentation Wiki Home Page and the table below the screen shot for a description of the content you will find in each box.

Content Area/Blue Box Contains
    Announcements & News Important announcements/news. For example, a new article on the CA Clarity PPM Cookbook, important information from the Community, an upcoming BrightTALK seminar, etc.
    Videos Videos from the CA Technologies eduCAte channel on YouTube.
    Release Information Release information that is traditionally found in the Release Notes and Change Impact and Upgrade.
    Installing and Upgrading Information about how you install and upgrade CA Clarity PPM.
    Using Information about how you manage projects, portfolios, resources, and finances.
    Administering Information about how you set up CA Clarity PPM so users can manage projects, portfolios, resources, and finances.
    Add-Ins and Connectors Information about how you extend the product functionality using the add-ins and connectors.
    Reference Technical information for CA Clarity PPM, such as portlets, jobs reference, database tables, etc.
    Connect Access to the CA Clarity Global User Community, Blogs, Support, Green Books, CA Clarity PPM Cookbook on Flipboard, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and BrightTALK.

3.       Note your observations, comments, and suggestions about the order of the boxes (the most important should appear at the top), their name, and what content you would expect to find when you click each box. If there are any boxes you don’t see and would expect to find, let us know, and also where they should appear on the Home Page.

4.       Do one of the following:

• Respond to this community post with your feedback.
    • Email me directly (john.george@ca.com) with your feedback.

We are experimenting now, and we want to ensure that we provide you with a simple and intuitive Wiki where you will easily be able to find the content that you want.

Thank you for joining in our journey to evolve the product documentation and improve your experience.

Thanks for reaching out and sharing this with the community John!