DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Points

Posted Apr 14, 2014 02:08 PM
      |   view attached

Please see attached screen shot. There is a big discrepancy between the Total Tranactions vs Data Points column. The report is generated from CEM -> Analysis Graphs -> Time. Anyone knows the difference between Total Transactions vs Data Points? I can't find exact definition for Data Points. I always thought Data Points = Total Transactions - Defects but I'm wrong.

Any help will be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Points

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2014 02:31 PM

Data Points refers to the number of observations, not the total number of transactions.

Remember, CEM is very Six Sigma centric in terms of what you see in these reports. A lot of the terms you'll see on the dashboards, like DPMO, you can find on web as it is referred to Six Sigma terminology.

• 3.  RE: CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Points

Posted Apr 14, 2014 02:48 PM

So take the last row for example, Total Transactions = 214,125 but only 154,586 Data Points are used to calculate AvgRT? What happens to the remaining 59,000+ transactions? I'm not challenging how CEM should calculate its numbers. I'm looking for an appropriate answer to give to my senior management.

• 4.  RE: CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Points

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2014 03:35 PM

It's early afternoon where I'm at and I still haven't had enough coffee! wink

I believe the remaining are the defective transactions, as opposed to the successful observed transactions.

• 5.  RE: CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Points

Posted Apr 15, 2014 08:17 AM

Hiko, sorry did not mean to be pushy......

Anyone else has a good explanation on Data Points in plain english? I don't think management cares about technical.

• 6.  RE: CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Points
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 01:37 PM

Hi VLU,

Let me try.

Total Transactions includes both successfull and defective transactions whereas Data Points represent only the number of good transactions for which CEM has got both request and response. Imagine a scenario where some transcations have missing response defects. These transactions will increase the count of total transactions but still it will not be added in data points.

Hope this is simple!!!

Thanks & Regards,

Mukesh Singh

• 7.  RE: [CA APM General Discussion] RE: CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Poin

Posted Apr 15, 2014 03:41 PM
    Very well said. Thank you, Mukesh. This will get the mgmt off my back.

From: CA APM/Wily Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:37 PM
    To: mb_message.2307983.113211471@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [CA APM General Discussion] RE: CEM -> Total Transactions vs. Data Points

Hi VLU,

Let me try.

Total Transactions includes both successfull and defective transactions whereas Data Points represent only the number of good transactions for which CEM has got both request and response. Imagine a scenario where some transcations have missing response defects. These transactions will increase the count of total transactions but still it will not be added in data points.

Hope this is simple!!!

Thanks & Regards,

Mukesh Singh
    Posted by:mukesh_singh
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.2307983.113211471@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.2307983.113211471@myca-email.ca.com>
    https://communities.ca.com
    ====================
    This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
    recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
    Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
    email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
    destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.