DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Posted Apr 16, 2014 11:41 PM

Hi All,

I have a requirement to configure end to end tracing from CEM till backend. The application is deployed in websphere environment. It talks to other apps using MQ, webservices etc.

If I need to include MQ traces in transaction trace, should i include the below in java agent profile ?

com.wily.introscope.agent.mqheaderinsertion.enabled=true, com.wily.introscope.agent.mqheaderread.enabled=true 

along with com.wily.introscope.agent.httpheaderinsertion.enabled=true,com.wily.introscope.agent.httpheaderread.enabled=true

Also, I should be configuring MQAgent.properties in java agent ,MQMonitor.properties in MQ Agent and add MQ related PBLs in  java agent . Please correct me if am wrong.

Are these configs enough to pass the same GUID from app layer to MQ layer?

Geethu

• 2.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Posted May 15, 2014 03:41 PM

Did you try out your configuration yet?  Which version of APM are you running? version of MQ? 

The APM MQ Guide details things pretty well - definitely have a look.

As you indicated, deploy and configure both the MQAgent and MQMonitor .properties and add the MQ PBL reference to IntroscopeAgent.profile.
    Looks like the handshake configuration is recommended to minimze overload. Also see the mqConfigurationSetup script (or manually make changes).

The mqheaderinsertion/read properties enable support in SOA dependency map. You can toggle the correlation identifier to use MQ/MQJMS message header vs SOAP or HTTP since some apps are sensitive to changes.

A change on the Enterprise Manager will also report Total Duration for Transaction Traces.  Edit the IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties file located in the <Introscope Home>/config directory to add the following two lines:
    introscope.workstation.transactiontracer.showTotalDuration=true
    introscope.workstation.transactiontracer.showTotalDuration.sumAllTraceComponents=true

If you deployed the Management Module for MQ on the EM, the WebSphereMQ Cross Process Transaction Trace Health & Availability dashboard helps you check whether your WebSphere MQ infrastructure is properly configured for MQ Trace. The dashboard has traffic lights that show the status of SYSTEM.ADMIN.ACTIVITY.QUEUE, Agent-MQ Connection Status, Handshake status, Activity recording status, and Dead Letter Queue.

Hope that can point you in the right direction.

• 3.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Posted May 15, 2014 11:13 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had done the confiurations mentioned in the APM MQ Guide like , including PBDs, PBLs, mqheader insertion, management module in EM. But I am quite confused with the handshake properties set in MQMonitor.properties and MQAgent.properties.

1) My application has two servers, each having a WAS instance and MQ installed. For most of the transactions, WAS talks to DB. But this app talks to another application, it does via MQ. My concern is should the handshake properties be same in all the MQAgent.properties and MQMonitor.properties. Currently my set up is lile Host A - WAS instance and MQ  has its handshake configured to localhost ie Host A itself . Also Host B -  WAS instance and MQ  has its handshake configured to localhost ie Host B. Is this how we need to configure?

2) We created one handshake queue CA_WILY_HANDSHAKE and provided all permission for the user running MQMonitor agent. But some how, that particular queue is not seen in Investigator and when we ran mqConfigurationSetup , it shows permission issue, It is  not able to retrieve its properties.

Geethu

• 4.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2014 03:10 AM

Hi Geethu,

handshake.qm.host ,handshake.qm.port, handshake.qm.channelname, handshake.queue should be identical in both Host A agents and Host B agents.

Thanks

Anu

• 5.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Posted May 20, 2014 03:27 AM

Thanks Anu for the reply.

So , in Host A , if I point  handshake.qm.host to localhost (ie Host A itself) , then in Host B also, I should point handshake.qm.host to Host A , right?

Geethu

• 6.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2014 04:05 AM

That's right Geethu.

Regards

Anu

• 7.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Posted May 20, 2014 04:17 AM

Hi Anu,

Thanks for the confirmation. Is there any criteria for deciding which host and qm  should be selected for handshake .

ie for MQAgent and MQMonitor in Host A and MQAgent and MQMonitor in Host B .

Geethu

• 8.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2014 05:31 AM

Hi Geethu, 

No such criteria. You can choose any.

Thanks

Anu

• 9.  RE: Application Layer to MQ Tracing

Posted May 20, 2014 10:24 PM

Thanks Anu. I will test this at customer environment. :)