AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  Lessons learned during 11.3.6 sandbox testing

Posted Apr 24, 2014 03:52 PM

While we are not done testing, we thought we'd share a few things we found during 11.3.6 sandbox testing. Nothing drastic, yet.

• App server log verbosity.  We opened a ticket, got "not a bug", and had to post an "Idea" here to fix this
    • 32 bit, Oracle, Windows 2012 R2, 8,3 short name, EEM issues. Run of the mill install until it works problems.
    • TZ for Auckland was wrong.  It worked on AIX in 11.3, but not in Windows. Simple DB update fix.
    • New "elevated" keyword breaks 11.3 backward JIL compatibility. An annoyance we'll have while dev and prod are not upgraded.
    • Legacy job environment variables. Feature was restored per our request but is unusable now due to agent differences. Idea to follow.
    • Enterprise command line. Doesn't quite work the way we want yet. A ticket is open.

We're pleased with the initial throughput (of some parts).  A 10 job sequential box takes 5 seconds, where it takes 10 seconds on r11.3.

The WCC updates are also welcome.  Seems to run faster, and stopping/starting the services is not as mind-numbing as in r11.

• 2.  RE: Lessons learned during 11.3.6 sandbox testing

Posted Apr 30, 2014 10:37 AM
    webmaster_jim:

While we are not done testing, we thought we'd share a few things we found during 11.3.6 sandbox testing. Nothing drastic, yet.

• App server log verbosity.  We opened a ticket, got "not a bug", and had to post an "Idea" here to fix this
    • 32 bit, Oracle, Windows 2012 R2, 8,3 short name, EEM issues. Run of the mill install until it works problems.
    • TZ for Auckland was wrong.  It worked on AIX in 11.3, but not in Windows. Simple DB update fix.
    • New "elevated" keyword breaks 11.3 backward JIL compatibility. An annoyance we'll have while dev and prod are not upgraded.
    • Legacy job environment variables. Feature was restored per our request but is unusable now due to agent differences. Idea to follow.
    • Enterprise command line. Doesn't quite work the way we want yet. A ticket is open.

We're pleased with the initial throughput (of some parts).  A 10 job sequential box takes 5 seconds, where it takes 10 seconds on r11.3.

The WCC updates are also welcome.  Seems to run faster, and stopping/starting the services is not as mind-numbing as in r11.

Hey webmaster_jim, did you try the new Unauthenticated User Modes?

• 3.  RE: Lessons learned during 11.3.6 sandbox testing

Posted Apr 30, 2014 01:21 PM
    did you try the new Unauthenticated User Modes?

Not exactly. We are on the fence as to moving to EEM security as part of the 11.3 to 11.3.6 upgrade. We've used native security for a long time. Combining 2 changes in one project is often frowned upon, as determining root cause can be more difficult. Once we put EEM into the development system I'll be able to bash the sandbox more than I can now - I need it to be working as a reference copy when upgrading development. For now, the plan is minimal security changes during the version upgrade.

• 4.  Re: Lessons learned during 11.3.6 sandbox testing

Posted Aug 15, 2014 03:37 PM

Forward reference to development testing post: WA AE 11.3.6 lessons learned, part 2

• 5.  Re: Lessons learned during 11.3.6 sandbox testing

Posted Oct 16, 2014 01:58 PM

And further on, part 3 are the production lessons learned: The day after 11.3.6

Before I could get that published, I had to put 11.3.6 Incremental 1 into the sandbox.  It's a maze.