Looking to start a thread that will define the best practices for recognizing various types or scenarios of resource/assignment delays, and how best to recognize and manage them.
Emergency Scenario: Resource pulled from project to work on something else for several weeks.
Option 1: The resource could mark his calendar in Clarity as 'non-work' days during this period
- Expect that when project is rescheduled, his assignements on the project will be pushed beyond these 'non-work' days
- However, resource may be booking to other investments in Clarity during this period - will the resource not get a timesheet(s) for this period?
Project manager can export plan to MSP
Option 2: One could shift the task start dates to SNET or FNET, where the date is adjust by the amount of delay expected
- works if resource is the only resource assigned to task(s) or the delay causes other assigned resources to wait for delayed resource's return (if the taken resource is a machine, the labor resource will probably need to wait until it comes back! - see Option 5)
Option 3: One can enter Assignment Delays for the resource on each of their assignments
- tedious, if many tasks and/or projects are affected
- all affected project managers must be made aware of the delay and do their own edits
Option 4: If task(s) have started, extend the durations of the task(s) to encompass the resource's delay
- same bullets as for Option 3
- Option 5: If the resoure delay causes all resources assigned to be delayed, one can enter a Task Leveling Delay
- Option 2: One could shift the task start dates to SNET or FNET, where the date is adjust by the amount of delay expected
Option 6: Do nothing but inform the affected project managers - as they reschedule their projects and the resource does not book time to them, the incompleted work will be rescheduled to the future.
- Perhaps effective if the delay is short and doesn't use significant portions of project buffers and/or planning/forecasting processes are not effected significantly
- Option 7: Give the resource's assignments to someone else during uanavailable period
Question: Is Project and/or Task Priority set in Clarity, utilized between projects by AutoSchedule and/or Clarity/MSP Integration?
If the emergency activity has something in Clarity that can be booked to
- Can we raise its prioirty such that when rescheduling projects, the 'emergency' investment will get the resource for the next time period(s) and other investments, when rescheduled, will show a delay in any tasks that the resource is assigned to?
- If the emergency activity has something in Clarity that can be booked to
Some of these options require the use of MSP - I don't know how assignment and leveling delays can be entered directly into Clarity. Would like to push project managers towards using Clarity Gantt - if I can't effectively handle resource delays in Clarity, without MSP, the allure of Clarity Gantt is diminished. Hoping that Priority, Resource Calanders, perhaps something I don't yet know about, will work well, easily in Clarity, such that MSP isn't needed.
And for those that may know of me, through the years - yes, we are finally getting some groups to use Clarity for the purposes we bought it for....hooray!