AnsweredAssumed Answered

Reuse XOG SOAP in GEL as subprocess?

Question asked by L.Elias Champion on May 13, 2014
Latest reply on May 15, 2014 by Dave

We are in the process of planning an upgrade from 13.0 to 13.2 (or 13.3) which may involve a move to On Demand (and a switch from MSSQL to Oracle if that is the case). As such we have several processes that currently use sql:update commands that as I understand is no longer supported and will need to be rewritten using XOG.

Rather than readding the same block of GEL script to invoke the SOAP calls to XOG IN in each and every script, I was thinking about creating a generic process and script that would house all of the SOAP related GEL, and passing the info from the other specific scripts to that one to do the XOGging. I figure this would make it easier to maintain if changes are ever needed (like changing the user account/password for example), and using the "main" scripts only to create the XML that would need to be XOGged.

Has anyone ever done anything like this or are there any reasons not to proceed down this path? If others have done it previously, any recommendations? My initial thought was to have the "main" process dump out the formatted XML to a file on the server using the instanceid as an ideintifier then having the XOG process read that file in and XOG but was wondering if there was a better way accomplish this? gel:persist has a character limit so I thought it best to avoid that but I'm open to ideas.

Outcomes