Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Changing Actuals Thru Date

• 1.  Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to change the actuals thru date?

A timesheet was posted for July instead of April, the timesheet has been adjusted so the actuals have been removed, but the actuals thru date is still July. So all tasks are now being re-scheduled after July for this resource.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?

Many Thanks In Advance! :)

• 2.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 15, 2014 11:22 AM

Not in a normally supported manner no*.

You can actually remove the timesheet by deleting the time period (and then recreating it), but pretty sure this is not going to affect ActualsThru at all. (And obviously this would delete any other timesheets for that period for other users).

Lots of things you can do before this problem arises to prevent it (not allow future timesheet posting at system level, not opening future timeperiods that far in advance, catching the "error" in your approval process (somehow), instilling the importance of approval of timesheets if you have a manual process etc), but once it is posted, its a done deal. sad

--

* so perhaps a conversation with support about a direct database update is your way forward.

• 3.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 15, 2014 11:34 AM

People used to do that all the time when you could enter actuals through OWB.

You just opened the project in OWB and displayed timescaled actuals and the act through date. Deleted the actuals you did not want going backwards.

Then re-entered what you wanted and saved the data back into Clarity. The first thing to bear in mind with that is that the timeentries are not changed if you do that. Neither are the WIP entries changed just the assignment actuals and anything that calculated from them. Secondly there are Clarity versions where you cannot enter actuals through OWB.

Martti K.

• 4.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 15, 2014 11:46 AM

^ could you actually change the ActualsThru in OWB though?  (Happy to be corrected!)

[ I think ActualsThru makes it way onto the records for the other projects that a resource is allocated to though (i.e. on projects that you might not have open in OWB); so this is getting a bit complicated! ]

• 5.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 06:01 AM

We have discussed this before. See

https://communities.ca.com/web/ca-clarity-global-user-community/message-board/-/message_boards/message/2296881#_19_message_2296879

OWB still works the same way, but when you modify the actuals in OWB they are not saved (or at least I cannot save them) back to Clarity.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 06:15 AM
    another_martink:

We have discussed this before.....

Yeah ; that previous discussion is really the reason why I know that ActualsThru is so important (and not very obvious either).

• 7.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 06:25 AM

Hi,

OK thanks for your help.

We have closed the time period and it asked if we wanted to delete the posted time entries, we agreed however the actuals thru date has not been updated. I'm not sure if there's a job we need to run to update the actuals thru date?

And as suggested, future time periods have now been closed!

Thanks,

Nicki

• 8.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 06:40 AM

As indicated above, pretty sure that there is no normal way to reconcile the ActualsThru date.  CA-Support may have a script that they will let you run but I've never heard of such a thing myself.

• 9.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 06:41 AM

Hello Nicki,

When you post actuals the prActCurve on the PRAssignment table is updated. This means the curve data now goes out to that point in time. If you then post a transaction to remove the actuals we still need to show there was activity during that time and the curve will still have information during that time, even if it is zero units.

Coming to Actuals Thru Date, This date represents the timeperiod FINISH date of the last period posted for that assignment. No remaining work (ETC) can exist before this date, it is the line between what has been done(actuals) and what s left to do (ETC).

Now am not sure how you deleted the time entries.  If you have done it from backend, I would not be able to assure you that it is gonna affect prActCurve because the time entries deleted or adjusted have to be tracked for auditing purpose. So When prActcurve is not being updated, I dun think Actuals thru date would be updated, if someone else have different thoughts about it.

Regards

• 10.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 06:49 AM
    tanch10:
    Now am not sure how you deleted the time entries. 

As above, if you delete a time period this removes the timesheets/timeperiods - this is stock behaviour.

• 11.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 06:57 AM

... and my understanding is that it does not effect prassingment table.

Martti K.

• 12.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2014 07:40 AM

From past experience, deleting the timeperiods will delete the timesheet timeentries and this is also announced on the warning when you delete the time period.

However, it is not removing the actuals from the actuals blob on the prAssignment table. This is logged as a defect (CLRT-74083) so that you would still see those actuals per day e.g. in OWB tsv. 

If the project is financially enabled you could maybe use the WIP adjustments. For non-financially enabled projects to rebuild the prActCurve you should contact support for guidance on CSTools.   

• 13.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 07:53 AM
    wunru01:

From past experience, deleting the timeperiods will delete the timesheet timeentries and this is also announced on the warning when you delete the time period.

However, it is not removing the actuals from the actuals blob on the prAssignment table. This is logged as a defect (CLRT-74083) so that you would still see those actuals per day e.g. in OWB tsv. 

If the project is financially enabled you could maybe use the WIP adjustments. For non-financially enabled projects to rebuild the prActCurve you should contact support for guidance on CSTools.   

For me that would be quite OK and not a defect. The timeentries have been processed and the relevant data needed is still there. I don't think the damart data or the WIP reords are deleted either.

Martti K.

• 14.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 08:01 AM
    wunru01:

.....However, it is not removing the actuals from the actuals blob on the prAssignment table.....

In this case Nicki (the original poster) has already said that they have adjusted the timesheets to zero - so the actuals are already "mended" so no need to worry there!

(and I would agree with Martti, not really a defect - and the workaround (adjust the timesheet to zero) mitigates anything that you would descibe as a defect.  Removing time periods is a very drastic thing to be doing after all.)

• 15.  RE: Changing Actuals Thru Date

Posted May 16, 2014 07:51 PM

Appreicate adjustments take it out from a financial aspect however the actuals thru date is updating all the tasks in levelling to future as it should but we need to move this back to give accurate guidance on tasks to the user and overall schedule delivery dates. User is using MSP not OWB.

Will raise this with support if there isn't a simple fix..