DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Metrics regular expression issue

Posted May 18, 2014 05:18 AM

Hi Team,

we have the below metric name

MyMonitor Servers|Apache Web Servers|IBM_Server|prodwebserver|AvailabilityStatus

when i try to retrive using the CLWorkstation,

metrics matching "MyMonitor.*/|Apache.*/|IBM.*/|*/|Availability." - this is not retriving any result and am getting the below error.

the regular expression "*/" is badly formed: Dangling meta character '*'

can you assist on this pls.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Metrics regular expression issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2014 06:12 PM
    balamurugan.vellaichamy:

Hi Team,

MyMonitor Servers|Apache Web Servers|IBM_Server|prodwebserver|AvailabilityStatus

metrics matching "MyMonitor.*/|Apache.*/|IBM.*/|*/|Availability." - this is not retriving any result and am getting the below error.

Thanks,

Hello,

It looks like you are trying to use forward slash "/" as the escape character instead of backward slash "\" which is the normal Perl 5 regex escape character. 

In addition the string you have seems to be a mixture of agent name & metric name so I think you should be using both "agents matching" and "metric matching" e.g. see this CLW section from 9.5 Config & Admin Guide: https://support.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Application%20Performance%20Management%209%205-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/APM_9.5--Configuration%20Administration%20Guide/1478250.html#o1478256

Here is also an earlier thread with examples: https://communities.ca.com/web/ca-wily-global-user-community/message-board/-/message_boards/message/12683340

So instead of :                      metrics matching "MyMonitor.*/|Apache.*/|IBM.*/|*/|Availability."

Try this expression instead:  agents matching "MyMonitor.*\|Apache.*\|IBM.*\|*\|" and metrics matching "Availability"

Hope this helps

• 3.  RE: Metrics regular expression issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2014 06:17 PM
    LynnWilliams:
    balamurugan.vellaichamy:

Hi Team,

Thanks,

Hello,

It looks like you are trying to use forward slash "/" as the escape character instead of backward slash "\" which is the normal Perl 5 regex escape character. 

In addition the string you have seems to be a mixture of agent name & metric name so I think you should be using both "agents matching" and "metric matching" e.g. see this CLW section from 9.5 Config & Admin Guide: https://support.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Application%20Performance%20Management%209%205-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/APM_9.5--Configuration%20Administration%20Guide/1478250.html#o1478256

Here is also an earlier thread with examples: https://communities.ca.com/web/ca-wily-global-user-community/message-board/-/message_boards/message/12683340

So instead of :                      metrics matching "MyMonitor.*/|Apache.*/|IBM.*/|*/|Availability."

Try this expression instead:  agents matching "MyMonitor.*\|Apache.*\|IBM.*\|*\|" and metrics matching "Availability"

Hope this helps

Sorry based on "MyMonitor Servers|Apache Web Servers|IBM_Server|prodwebserver|AvailabilityStatus" I think it should be more like:

agents matching "MyMonitor.*\|Apache.*\|IBM.*\|*" and metrics matching "AvailabilityStatus"

• 4.  RE: Metrics regular expression issue

Posted May 20, 2014 05:51 PM

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply. Still I see the issue. This is the below o/p of the history data - like this i am able to get for all webservers metrics when I use metrics matching (.*).

MyDomain/MyServer,myhostname,a4652m9872MyServer_WebServerAgent_devenv_apache,Web Servers,MyMonitor|Apache Web Servers|IBM|myInstance|Availability,Availability Status,Unknown,15,Tue May 20 02:36:56 GMT 2014,Tue May 20 02:35:45 GMT 2014,Tue May 20 02:36:00 GMT 2014,1,Integer,1,1,1,,,,,

But i want to get the metrics only for Availability, I see only the header values
    Domain, Host, Process, AgentName, Resource, MetricName, Record Type, Period, Intended End Timestamp, Actual Start Timestamp, Actual End Timestamp, Value Count, Value Type, Integer Value, Integer Min, Integer Max, Float Value, Float Min, Float Max, String Value, Date Value

These are the metrics regex I tried.

metrics matching \"MyMonitor\|Apache.*\|*\|*\|Availability\" => no luck

metrics matching \"MyMonitor\|Apache.*\|IBM\|*\|Availability.*\" => no luck

metrics matching .*Availability*. => no luck

metrics matching "MyMonitor.*\|Apache.*\|IBM\|*\|Availability" => no luck

Kindly assist.

• 5.  RE: Metrics regular expression issue
    Best Answer

Posted May 20, 2014 07:57 PM

Hi,

This is solved after  I use this one .*Availability Status$

Thanks Lenn for your help

• 6.  RE: Metrics regular expression issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2014 07:59 PM

Glad to hear thatsmiley I was just going to suggest using: metrics matching "Availability.*" 

• 7.  Re: Metrics regular expression issue

Posted Sep 17, 2014 04:20 AM

Hi All,

Good day to you.

Hi I tried not to escape the values but all ive got is the header of the metrics and there is no data.

Im using this batch script.

@echo
    set java="C:\Program Files\CA Wily\Introscope9.0.6.5\jre\bin\java.exe"
    set fromDate="9/8/14"
    set toDate="9/14/14"
    set agents=(.*STWSVESV002.*)
    set metrics="Backends\|wgdw2 sunaixsvr9\.sungard\-1521\(Oracle DB\):.*"
    set freq=3600 secs
    set outputfile=C:\Metrics\amsprod_b_metrics.csv

set exec=%java% -Xmx128M -Duser=atrambulo -Dpassword=at8732x -Dhost=208.76.239.171 -Dport=5001 -jar CLWorkstation.jar

cd C:\Program Files\CA Wily\Introscope9.0.6.5\lib
    %exec% get historical data from agents matching %agents% and metrics matching %metrics% between %fromDate% and %toDate% with frequency of %freq% > %outputfile%

Thanks for your help.