DX NetOps

• 1.  Migrate SANM policies (possibly using Modeling Gateway)

Posted May 29, 2014 07:04 AM

We are planning an upgrade (in fact a migration onto new virtual servers) to 9.3H01and in the process remodelling/rebalancing the entire infrastructure (9 distributed SS), primarily using Modeling Gateway.

Does anyone know is it possible to migrate SANM policies and filters from one system to another? If so then how?

I would have thought it could be done using Modeling Gateway but don’t see anything in the docs/files to cover this.

John

• 2.  RE: Migrate SANM policies (possibly using Modeling Gateway)

Posted May 29, 2014 12:34 PM

Hello John,

This can be done adding attributes to the modelling gateway resource file

As SANM definitions are attributes you can add the attributes to .modelinggatewayresource.xml.

Manually create a Policy and Filter with the same name as those on the source system where you ran the export. If you export, for example, the model_type and landscape, add following definitions to the .modelinggatewayresource.xml:

<SpectrumConfigurationExport model_type="SANMPolicy" >
    </SpectrumConfigurationExport>

<SpectrumConfigurationExport model_type="SANMApp" >

<SpectrumConfigurationExport model_type="SANMFilter" >
    <Model_Name attribute_id="0x1006e"/>
    <model_type_list attribute_id="0xd70000" />
    <landscape_list attribute_id="0xd70002" />

Hope this helps

Kalyan

• 3.  RE: Migrate SANM policies (possibly using Modeling Gateway)

Posted Jun 03, 2014 09:44 AM
    Hi Kalyan Thanks for that, however it seems to be a partial solution rather than full solution. Isn't there any way to automatically export the SANM models and not just export attributes to the SANM models that need to be added manually. I would think something similar to migrating User models or Policy Manager models for instance should be possible. We have 31 SANM policies and 341 filters so manually creating those is not ideal. Regards, John

• 4.  RE: Migrate SANM policies (possibly using Modeling Gateway)

Posted Jun 04, 2014 07:01 AM

I had to do something similar with a large SANM environment and wrote a script to do it through vnmsh. I keep the SANM config on its own seperate landscape now to avoid this in the future.

It's not ideal, but with the way Relations/Associations work between Models there's no easy way to tell Spectrum to create new models and partially copy the existing Relation/Association framework from and old landscape to a new landscape's models.

My steps were

1. Manually create the policies (I only had 1, but I'd script it if I had 31)
    2. read the relevant attributes from the model handle of the old filter
    3. create model type filter (0xd70002) with relevant attributes
    4. create association Has_Filters between the policy and the created filter model handle

Relevant attributes

0x1006e
    0x11564
    0xd70000
    0xd70001
    0xd70002
    0xd70003
    0xd70004
    0xd70005
    0xd70006
    0xd70007
    0xd7000b
    0xd7000e
    0xd70011
    0xd7001d
    0xd7001e
    0xd7001f
    0xd70022
    0xd7000a

• 5.  RE: Migrate SANM policies (possibly using Modeling Gateway)

Posted Jun 05, 2014 05:10 AM

Hi Lute

Thanks for your reply. I am beginning to think this will be the way to do this. I'll wait and see if Kalyan has any suggestions re the MGW before I start in earnest.

Regards, John

• 6.  RE: Migrate SANM policies (possibly using Modeling Gateway)

Posted Jun 05, 2014 05:08 AM

Hi Kalyan

Your suggestion isn't working for me. I have created the App, Policy and Filter models on the new server using a script so they all have the same names. And when I run the modeling gateway import I get lots of error messages similar to the following

Failed to update com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMFilter:Filter 1601 : model was not found.
    Failed to update attributes on com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMApp:US_Secondary_Generic_Immediate
    Failed to update com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMFilter:Filter 1600 : model was not found.
    Failed to update attributes on com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMApp:US_Secondary_Specific_Immediate
    Failed to update attributes on com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMApp:US_Secondary_Specific_Delay
    Failed to update com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMFilter:Filter 1054 : model was not found.
    Failed to update com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMFilter:Filter 1615 : model was not found.
    Failed to update com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMFilter:Filter 2550 : model was not found.
    Failed to update com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMFilter:Filter 1062 : model was not found.
    Failed to update com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMFilter:Filter 1058 : model was not found.
    Failed to update attributes on com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMPolicy:AP Generic Delay
    Failed to update attributes on com.aprisma.tie.parse.ModelElement SANMApp:US_Secondary_Generic_Delay

One thing that may be an issue is that many of the filters have the same name. For instance there are 3 x "Filter 100", 10 x "Filter 1000" etc. So the filter name is not unique.

I notice also that the Apps and Policy models, which all have unique names, give a different error. The error for those is "Failed to update attributes" whereas for the Filter models it is "model not found".

Any ideas?

John

• 7.  RE: Migrate SANM policies (possibly using Modeling Gateway)

Posted Jun 12, 2014 07:28 AM

Hi Kalyan

Do you have any further update or suggestion on this? Or do I need to go with a scripted solution?

Regards, John