AnsweredAssumed Answered

Actuate ODBC and synchronizing production with disaster recovery environs

Question asked by Alex_Feldstein on Dec 3, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 by Alex_Feldstein
We are using Actuate 8 (Server 9). I am new to Actuate and am tasked with deploying our new Disaster Recovery (DR) environment off-site.

We already have backups in place (filesystem and SQL Server 2005 data) nightly. Using CL v12.0.5 at the moment (testing 12.1 for the near future)

I am not that familiar with Actuate yet. One question I have is about the ODBC connection and best practices.

As a long-time developer I would recomemnd weak-coupling or no-coupling at all by doing a 3-tier environment where we would use ODBC instead of hardcoding connection strings in reports. That way, you can copy the report executables between environments (Development, Test, Production, DR) and ideally each would work with the local database without dependencies to other systems.

Not knowing much about Actuate (rather new to Clarity too) I am weary of blindingly copying the report execuables in the filesystem to the backup environment. (e.g. \niku\clarity\reporting\*) as I'm already doing with other portions of the filesystem (not reports yet) (e.g. \niku\clarity\filestore\* and \niku\clarity\searchindex\* which copy the knowledge base and user-uploaded documents and files).

If the report definitions/executables contain database dependencies, I run the risk of copying a report to another environment and having it cross-reference the production database. A no-no in a disaster recovery scenario.

What are the best practices for backing up reports to another live system?
How do people here do it?
Where are the Actuate reports kept? (\niku\clarity\reporting\*) ??

Thanks for any info

Outcomes