Clarity

• 1.  Environment Variable Settings and XOG

Posted Jan 06, 2011 03:31 AM
    Hello,

I am attempting to XOG using 12.0.6 from a 64 bit Windows 7 environment.
    My path environment variable reads as follows (without the line feeds)
    C:\jdk1.6.0_23\bin;
    C:\Windows\system32;
    C:\Windows;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;

Attempting to run XOG in that state gives me the error "\QuickTime\QTSystem\ was unexpected at this time."

Generally there seems to be a problem with values which include parentheses - such as we will see with any non 64 bit application.
    If I delete the Quicktime path setting then XOG will work OK. If I enclose the last line in quotes then XOG will also work - but in neither case will Qucktime then pick up the path.

Can anybody tell me an effective workaround for situations like this?

many thanks

Phil

• 2.  RE: Environment Variable Settings and XOG

Posted Jan 06, 2011 04:30 AM
    Can you not just override your "normal" PATH setting in the XOG.BAT file that you are running so that it does not include the paths with parenthesis - hard code the path in the bat file even.

This would not affect your "normal" environment then, just the run of XOG?

• 3.  RE: Environment Variable Settings and XOG
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 06, 2011 05:41 AM

Dave wrote:

Can you not just override your "normal" PATH setting in the XOG.BAT file that you are running so that it does not include the paths with parenthesis - hard code the path in the bat file even.

This would not affect your "normal" environment then, just the run of XOG?
    Many thanks Dave - as you suggested I just edited xog.bat to remove the mention of the rest of the path -as shown in bold below.
    set PATH=%NIKU_HOME%\bin;%PATH%

Nothing like a simple fix!

• 4.  RE: Environment Variable Settings and XOG

Posted Jan 06, 2011 02:14 PM
    [color=#121E9C][size=4][font=Arial]Hi Phil,

The parenthesis is not the problem. It's the space BEFORE the parenthesis that's producing the error. So while your solution is adequate, it will have to be applied to any and all batch files and non 64 bit application that access the PATH variable in the same way as XOG.BAT does. Also it's not upgrade proof. While this might not be an issue with any other batch file or application on your system, it's best to tackle the problem at the source. I would suggest that you use the short name generated for non-8dot3 file names in the environment variable. So instead of using C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;
    use C:\PROGRA~2\QuickTime\QTSystem\
    in the PATH environment variable. PROGRA~2 is the system generated short name for Program Files (x86) and can be seen by issuing the DIR command with the /X option from a command line window.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

[font][size][color]

• 5.  RE: Environment Variable Settings and XOG

Posted Oct 13, 2011 07:37 AM
    Apparently, even with the PROGRA~2 designation in the PATH environment variable, you still can't run the XOG client from a command prompt that actually contains the " (x86)" designation.

The same command, run in the same control window, works when run from "C:\PROGRA~2\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity XOG\bin>", but fails when run from "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity XOG\bin>".