Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

FISCAL Time Periods

• 1.  FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jan 25, 2011 01:14 PM
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

What are the best practices for closing fiscal time periods. We are rolling out Portfolio Management and I have 2010 fiscal time periods active for annual, quarterly and monthly. When is it safe to make these periods inactive. I have a Portfolio that ends in 2015 and wondered why would we have fiscal periods open in the past.

Thanks
    Tammi

• 2.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jan 28, 2011 06:27 PM
    Not answering you question, but giving some thoughts on it.
    Is that something like defining timesliced: How far back do you want to report?
    Then compared to time reporting periods it is less likely to happen that you get messed up because of date being entered by mistake or on purpose on a wring fiscal period. So the the down side is smaller.
    When you browse for fiscal periods your have the old periods first which is not very user friendly if you have fiscal periods for a decade open.

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 03, 2011 10:15 AM
    Thanks Martti for responding, I think that if you are if you are in 2011 then the fiscal time periods for 2010 should be closed at some point since it is in the past.

• 4.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 04, 2011 02:38 AM
    Hi Tammi

It would be appropriate to check the span of the cost plans (in case you use the Financials Plan tab ... :))

Then it would depend (as stated earlier), as to how far back do you want to go to see the data.

Would suggest that you can keep the periods till 2013 / 2014, and then close them off.

Regards
    NJ

• 5.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 04, 2011 08:18 AM
    Tammi,

It depends upon how you are using Fiscal Time periods.Previous Year Fiscal periods is normally opened for Financial Planning and reporting.some projects will have approved funds@Forecast / budget for 2 / 3 yrs for those the fiscal time periods needs to be opened and also sometimes we also need to analyze (Actual / Budget / Forecast etc) for the past year spend via the Portfolio Scenario's.

More over you can't deactivate / delete the fiscal time periods which is used in project financial planning.It will throw an error message.

cheers,
    sundar

• 6.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 04, 2011 10:48 AM
    That sounds like you can't delete/deactivate any period which has ever been used for plans as long as the project still exist in the system active or inactive?

Martti K.

• 7.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 04, 2011 01:23 PM
    Closing fiscal time periods doesn't provide the data cleanup benefit as with closing time reporting periods (Timesheet periods). While closing timesheet periods will allow the Delete Investments job to remove timesheet records, closing fiscal time periods simply mark the records in biz_com_periods table as not open. Deleting the inactive periods only delete the records in biz_com_periods, one row per period, nothing more.

I can only think of a couple benefits for deactivating fiscal time periods: limit the list users have to go through when picking the periods they want; having the chance to modify the newly created ones before it's too late (see restriction below)

The only thing that would stop you from deactivating then deleting a fiscal time period is when it is used in any financial plan, and that includes cost plan, benefit plan and budget plan. When that happens, you can try to modify the plans so that they no longer cover the fiscal time periods that you want to deactivate.

If you have any un-editable BUDGET plan that uses or covers the fiscal time period you want to deactivate, you will not be able to deactivate the fiscal time period; if you have any COST plan that uses it, you can always modify the plan From and/or To dates to move the plan duration outside of the fiscal time period ((***caution***: you will lose the plan data)); if the plan is a Plan of Record, you can make a copy of it, modify the copy, make the copy your new Plan of Record, then delete the original plan; you can always modify a BENEFIT plan.

As users start doing more financial planning, the likelihood of hitting the restriction on deactivating a fiscal time period increases; this would be a good reason for keeping your newly created fiscal time periods inactive until they are ready to be used and you are sure that they would not need to be modified.

Here is a simply query I keep handy for finding the financial plans that use certain fiscal time period(s), this query assumes only one entity exists in the system:

Oracle Query, Clarity 8.x and above:

SELECT f.OBJECT_CODE Investment_Type,
    i.CODE Investment_Code,
    i.NAME Investment_name,
    DECODE(f.PLAN_TYPE_CODE,NULL,'BENEFIT',f.PLAN_TYPE_CODE) FinPlan_Type,
    f.CODE FinPlan_Code,
    f.NAME FinPlan_Name,
    f.STATUS_CODE
    FROM FIN_PLANS f, INV_INVESTMENTS i
    WHERE f.START_PERIOD_ID IN (SELECT ID FROM BIZ_COM_PERIODS WHERE
    START_DATE < TO_DATE('01/01/2009', 'mm/dd/yyyy') )
    AND f.OBJECT_ID = i.ID

Happy New Year of the Rabbit!
    -Connie

• 8.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 04, 2011 01:39 PM
    Thanks connie for elaborately answering .

Gong Xi Fa Cai :grin:

cheers,
    sundar

• 9.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 07, 2011 09:47 AM
    Thanks Connie.

If you are interested in using your expertise in Fiscal Time Periods, I am sure we would welcome a Blog entry on the subject. Would you be interested?

• 10.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 08, 2011 01:16 PM
    sure :)

• 11.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jun 06, 2012 03:24 AM
    Did the blog entry ever materialize?

Martti K.

• 12.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jun 06, 2012 11:07 AM
    Not yet. i need to reach out again. I got sidetracked.

• 13.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jun 06, 2012 11:09 AM
    Can you email me at mike@journeyassistance.com so we can talk about a blog entry?

Thanks!

• 14.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jun 07, 2012 05:26 AM
    Did you give Connie the instructions as per her email?

Martti K.

• 15.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jun 08, 2012 06:51 PM
    Martti

I did manage to find the big "Blogs" tab and the nice and obvious "Add Blog" button :P

Will organize the information from this thread and put my first blog out hopefully soon!

Connie

• 16.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Aug 01, 2012 10:49 AM
    Simple question, how is a time period actually closed?

• 17.  RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Jul 25, 2013 02:06 PM
    I want to deactivate some fiscal periods in the future so I can correct an end date.

I modified the query as follows to find any cost plans with end dates in teh priods I want to deactivate

i.CODE Investment_Code,
    i.NAME Investment_name,
    DECODE(f.PLAN_TYPE_CODE,NULL,'BENEFIT',f.PLAN_TYPE_CODE) FinPlan_Type,
    f.CODE FinPlan_Code,
    f.NAME FinPlan_Name,
    f.STATUS_CODE
    WHERE f.END_PERIOD_ID IN (SELECT ID FROM BIZ_COM_PERIODS WHERE
    end_DATE > TO_DATE('06/01/2016', 'mm/dd/yyyy') )
    AND f.OBJECT_ID = i.ID

I get no results returned but still I cannot deactivate fiscal periods beyond 6/1/2016.

• 18.  Re: RE: FISCAL Time Periods

Posted Feb 10, 2015 03:42 PM

MSSQL Version of Connie's query:

i.CODE Investment_Code,
    i.NAME Investment_name,
    ISNULL(f.PLAN_TYPE_CODE,'BENEFIT') FinPlan_Type,
    f.CODE FinPlan_Code,
    f.NAME FinPlan_Name,
    f.STATUS_CODE
    WHERE f.START_PERIOD_ID IN (SELECT ID FROM BIZ_COM_PERIODS WHERE