Clarity

• 1.  Organization Changes

Posted Feb 03, 2011 05:58 PM
    We currently had a re-org of a group of people.

Currently in our resource OBS the group got split into two teams.
    My question is - what are the negative impacts if I keep the one team and modify it and create a new team. Or would it be best to deactivate the current one and create two more from scratch. You can easily change names but I wasn't sure if changing the ID's was a good idea or not.

My second question is with Departments - basically the same question - has anyone had a re-org and experienced any issues with changing departments to meet the new structure.

Thanks,
    jenny

• 2.  RE: Organization Changes

Posted Feb 04, 2011 10:43 AM
    Are you saying you want to split one organizational unit into two and no other changes?

If that is the case one consequence is that any OBS based reporting incuding portles will change and old and new will not be comparable.
    If the OBS is not the department OBS you should be able to create the new units and move the resources from where they are to the new ones.
    If it is the department OBS I've had extreme difficulties with trying to move resources from one unit to another if there are assignments and actuals.

It is not a problem to move one department from being a child to one department to under another parent. Everything associated comes along includign resources and projects. But if I understood that correctly that is not what you want to do.

Antoher thing you can do is change the department name, but you can't change the ID, you would have to create a new one with the desired ID (if that is not in use).

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: Organization Changes

Posted Feb 07, 2011 10:49 AM
    I want to split up our one of our Department OBS units into two separate units - we do record time but don't have financials implemented so I am not sure how much of a concern it is for us.

Most of our projects though do have departments associated - so will the move affect the project data?

• 4.  RE: Organization Changes

Posted Feb 08, 2011 11:25 AM
    You can split up the department OBS. Since you don't have Financials in place, that won't be too much of an issue.

You may want to consider adding another level to the OBS to separate out those 2 units and still have the roll up available for reporting - which is your original department. You could then leave your projects assigned to the roll up level and have the resources assigned to the lower level level. You would need to make sure your OBS is set up so that you can assign projects to any level, not just the lowest to accommodate this.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Original OBS
    Level 1 - XYZ Company Department OBS
    Level 2 - Professional Serivces Department

All projects and resources are assigned to level 2

New OBS
    Level 1 - XYZ Company Department OBS
    Level 2 - Professional Serivces Department
    Level 3 - Modifications Department
    Level 3 - Implementations Department

Projects are assigned to level 2
    Resources are assigned to level 3

Hope this helps.
    Ruthann

• 5.  RE: Organization Changes

Posted Feb 09, 2011 02:45 AM
    The same with screenshots

1. You have OBS units in your department OBS
    2. You add new units
    3. You have resources associated with an uni in Department OBS
    Click browse
    4. Select the new unit for the association, Click Add, Click Save or submit

In this case Resources are associated with the Department OBS, projects are not, neither projects or resources are financially enabled.
    Resources are assigned to project and tasks and have actuals.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Organization Changes

Posted May 16, 2012 02:39 PM
    I have done one massive reorg and a lot of minor. My rule of thumb. I follow the resource with regards to the GL. Project work stays in the department as the departments are setup by apps uport/dev. So if resource(s) move it should not be a big deal.